Lights went dim - Kia Niro Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Lootas1

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Unhappy Lights went dim

Bought my new Niro last week. Now have 210 miles on odometer. This evening, I was driving home from a church three miles away when the dash lights went dim. Car kept running so I didn't stop. Soon the lights faded out completely and the headlights went off. Fortunately, it was just at dusk so I could see and be seen. I turned off the headlights and, as I came down a hill nearly a quarter of a mile long, the lights on the dash became brighter. I could see the lights that indicate charge in the battery were showing almost a half charge. When I ran out of down grade, the dash lights again dimmed to nothing. First thing in the morning I'll call the dealer. I'm hoping he won't say drive it in as the nearest dealer is at least 25 miles away and I wonder if I'll get there. I'm not going to tinker but I'm wondering if any of you experts have thoughts about what is going on here?
extech67 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 10:31 AM

Lootas1- do you have the lights on auto? The auto posistion is on the lights stalk. I ask because you mention turning off the headlights. I leave mine on auto all the time, it adjusts itself from daytime running lights to night headlights, even turning headlights on in rain. The brightness of the dash display is auto also, but can be done manually with the thumbwheel on the lower left side of dash.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 12:31 PM

Auto lights could be s possibility and you can test it out during the way by driving it in and out of the garage.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I took the car back to the shop and it showed no codes. They suggested I had gotten confused (I do that a lot). I leave the lights on auto but, when I saw them dimming on the dash, I thought I might be needing to save power and I got the idea my headlights were dimming, too, so I turned the lights off. The mechanic thinks, and he's most likely right, that I saw the dash lights dimming as they do automatically as the sun goes down to keep from having too bright lights inside while driving in the dark. I had turned the control for the dashlights not knowing what I was doing (and that also happens a lot). Anyway, problem seems to be solved. Now, how about windshield wipers that come on and go off as they sense water hitting the windshield? Does the Niro have that or do I have to find the right setting on the righthand column stalk? Sure like the feature on the Mercedes that not only turned the wipers on and off as water hit the windshield but also set the wiper speed for the amount of rain coming down.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lootas1 View Post
I took the car back to the shop and it showed no codes. They suggested I had gotten confused (I do that a lot). I leave the lights on auto but, when I saw them dimming on the dash, I thought I might be needing to save power and I got the idea my headlights were dimming, too, so I turned the lights off. The mechanic thinks, and he's most likely right, that I saw the dash lights dimming as they do automatically as the sun goes down to keep from having too bright lights inside while driving in the dark. I had turned the control for the dashlights not knowing what I was doing (and that also happens a lot). Anyway, problem seems to be solved. Now, how about windshield wipers that come on and go off as they sense water hitting the windshield? Does the Niro have that or do I have to find the right setting on the righthand column stalk? Sure like the feature on the Mercedes that not only turned the wipers on and off as water hit the windshield but also set the wiper speed for the amount of rain coming down.
No rain sensing wipers on a Niro. But the headlights will turn on automatically when you have the wipers on, even intermittent setting.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page