WAZE as sole navigation source - Kia Niro Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to robertstrong Send a message via Skype™ to robertstrong
WAZE as sole navigation source

As a new member picking up an EX Saturday 3/31 I need to understand how to use WAZE as the navigation source. The dealership said it will link to Carplay. Does anyone have experience with this?
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 06:42 PM

Open the app and start navigating. If you have it plugged into a USB port, your will get audio turn by turn. The map will display only on your phone though. If you have an Android phone, you can install an OS fork that will project Waze (or most any app) to the car display.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 07:15 PM

Waze works through android auto just fine, dont see any reason it wouldnt work from your fruit phone just as well.

Only drawback is that you MUST plug your phone into the USB port and it does not have a very strong recharge signal.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald View Post
Waze works through android auto just fine, dont see any reason it wouldnt work from your fruit phone just as well.

Only drawback is that you MUST plug your phone into the USB port and it does not have a very strong recharge signal.
The reason is Apple. They don’t allow other navigation apps on CarPlay. But if you run Waze while driving you were hear the audio as stated above... but it won’t display on bm the car’s screen.
Congee and Chis2k like this.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 10:12 PM

Quote:

My 2018 charges my fruit phone fine while streaming and running navigation (Google usually).

I don't use Waze because they require always on location tracking and that is a lot creepy. I'm not even sure there is any advantage to Waze as Google Maps uses traffic data from Waze.

I actually find non-Apple maps navigation works better with CarPlay, other than the fact they don't project to the car screen. Lots of glitches and annoyances with CarPlay and Apple Maps I've found. In fact, disabling CarPlay might make Apple Maps more useable (I'd have to make some switch of media I assume on the head unit), but generally I find the UI and the cartography on Google more appealing. No opinion about navigation mistakes, both make plenty of mistakes, sometimes the exact same one.

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 08:49 AM

I did not know that Apple blocks Waze.

I always assumed that Waze was the "go-to" navigation app to use instead of the built in phone one (google maps or apple maps)
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 12:51 PM

Waze works great with Android Auto

My wife and I both are waze users. When we were test driving our Niro we made sure that all our apps worked while plugged in for android auto. Brought our own usb cord and everything.

Waze definitely has android auto support. Whenever i plug into the car, navigation is always set using waze. I find that it's pretty easy to use and even switch between apps.I sometimes switch between google maps and waze to compare routes.

I have come to like that you have to plug in the phone for navigation to show up on the screen. with all the cops around my area, its a miracle that i haven't been pulled over for holding my phone up for navigation in my old car. now i don't have to worry.

I cant speak for apple car play, but android auto works perfectly for me.
Chis2k likes this.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
I did not know that Apple blocks Waze.

I always assumed that Waze was the "go-to" navigation app to use instead of the built in phone one (google maps or apple maps)
It doesn't block Waze. However CarPlay does not project the app to the console. Neither does stock Android as far as I know.

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 03:13 PM

Garage
I have the LX trim on my Kia Niro PHEV. I like that being able to use Google Maps and Android Auto to project the app on the car's display screen is saving me the next trim level (aprox $3,000 more) just to get navigation, power seats and leather trim, all of which I didn't think I needed for my mainly short trips every week.

Android Auto integrates nicely with the Niro's voice recognition systems. I can press the voice button on the steering wheel, say "Navigation" and get the response "Where would you like to go?" and then state where I want to go, and the map display on the dash will present me with the destination, or several destinations that might match what I said, and then off I go.

I have also used Waze and switched between them if I am more interested in what's happening with traffic (accidents, police, detours, etc.)
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
It doesn't block Waze. However CarPlay does not project the app to the console. Neither does stock Android as far as I know.
Thats wrong...android auto plays Waze just fine.
Chis2k likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page