Installed a small subwoofer - Kia Niro Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Installed a small subwoofer

Has a bazooka sub sitting around from my Scion days. Well today I insit in my Niro, many will say the bazooka don't hit low or hard, and I would agree, but what an improvement it made to the stick Kia stereo. And it was so easy to install.
KK6PD likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 11:57 AM

A Scion subwoofer was a perfect fit in the Niro? Maybe that means other sound parts from the car would fit as well.
Which Scion model was it from?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

The Bazooka sub was marketed and sold for the Scion xB model, but it's a pretty generic unit. I used this unit in my Scion and both my Prius C and standard Prius. But any bazooka sub tube should work, the Scion was a 100watt unit with a 8" speaker.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 02:30 PM

Garage
I am very interested in this. I just got my EX a week ago and the stock sound system leaves a great deal to be desired-- super overcooked in the midrange and high frequencies and the low-mids and bass are basically absent. Have adjusted my tone controls to compensate as best I can but it is still subpar. The Niro replaces my 2010 Volvo XC60, which had premium sound, and boy do I miss that. I'm an audiophile and home-recording musician, so I have an abnormally high interest in good sound.

How did the installation work on the Bazooka sub? Where did you locate it within the cabin? Did you have to pull dashboard or carpeting for wiring etc? I'm not particularly handy when it comes to DIY stuff like this so I'd be fine with getting the whole system replaced by a pro car audio outfit. Any advice very welcome.

Thanks, Dave

2018 EX w/Adv Tech, Metal Stream
Alexandria, VA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
This space intentionally left blank.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 11:13 PM

Audiophile in a car? Recipe for disappointment. Headphones are an audiophiles best friend, perhaps a sound cancelling Bose is best in a car despite lack of ultimate reproduction. May not be legal in all states to wear headphones though. In the 1970's (or was it the 1980's?), I was pulled over in California and told I wasn't allowed to use my Walkman.

I was once a midfi-phile. Had an awesome bi-amped Janzen electrostat/dual standard woofer speakers and even worked in a midfi audio shop. I miss the system, but not enough to do it again. OK now with ripped music on my iPhone and only listen to music through stock earbuds or my stock car audio. Would like a pair of good headphones at home again - home isn't really suitable for a good speaker system.

I agree that the stock Niro system isn't that great, however it was a good step above my last car (in part because the Niro was much more quiet than my 17 year old previous car). I will say that the Sirius free trial that came with my car is unlistenable. I draw the line there for sure.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 10:45 AM

Garage
I mentioned this in another thread, but I am not expecting audiophile quality in a car, I totally understand that's not feasible. I merely meant to describe my more exacting needs/desires for sound in the car. Definitely not wearing headphones, that's just not safe IMO. And I have the opposite experience, my former ride had a really good sound system, so the contrast is pretty stark here.

On the Sirius, are you saying that the signal quality from the sat radio is inferior to that from, say, an mp3 player? I do have an iBasso high-def music player that I have also used plugged in to the aux jack (Niro won't recognize its Android-based OS, not surprisingly), but I've had the car for only a week (five days of which I was away on travel) so I have not done a direct comparison yet.

Looks like my only option is to replace the speakers and add a sub, so time to get busy exploring that. I have not shopped for aftermarket car audio in over thirty years though, so I would love some suggestions and recommendations for options. I know there will be a price point of diminishing returns, above which it will make no sense to spend owing to the limitations of sound quality produced by the head unit. Any input on what that might be? Thanks!

Alexandria, VA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 06:14 PM

Sirius has a low bit rate, so no, not as good as a regular bit rate MP3.

I don't know much about current OEM head units. If there is a line out, your problem is solved. Otherwise, you could be limited to just speaker replacement. Or, you could simply keep one speaker wired to your head unit for navigation, and put an amp and speakers in for music, bypassing the head unit.
Dave likes this.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

No line out in the factory head unit. I put the bazooka sub in the passenger rear, used the two hold towns and it faces rear as bazooka recommend.

Yes I had to take part if the dash apart to install. Google it, it's pretty easy, I tucked the wires under the door sill. I would say it took about 1.5 hrs.

As for sound imo it's a major improvement, with the stock eq I could pull a lot of the kids and even the lows out as the sub put a nice little thump in the car, it seemed to clean up the overall sound.

I had this sub left over from my Scion. So it was a no brainier to use it. I'm sure there are better self powered subs today for not much money
Dave likes this.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 10:52 AM

Garage
Thanks for the additional info hackenfort! One follow up question, when you say "in the passenger rear", does that mean it is under the seats (either under the front or rear seat), or is it on the floor where someone's feet would have to go if riding in back? I definitely don't want to consume floor space for passengers. Thanks!

Alexandria, VA

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

Sorry should have more clear. It's in the hatch area on the passenger side. I used the two factory tie down points to secure it. It can be in plugged and removed in a few seconds this way, and doesn't take up much room at all
Dave likes this.