SirusXM and why I could never buy their service - Kia Niro Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

SirusXM and why I could never buy their service

I can understand that the Satelite Radio services like to offer a free trial with the purchase of a new car in hopes that they can get a subscription. However, it seems that. SiriusXM are the most bottom scraping low lives with their business practices that I wonder if I'd ever get the foul taste out of my mouth after my experience with them.

I signed the purchase agreement, but it took the dealer about a week to get the car in and ready before I picked it up. I took delivery on the first of October. On the 7th, I got an email from SiriusXM that they were giving me a 3 month free trial of their service, and all I needed to do was click on a link in the email and sign up. Except for the link in the email didn't work and told me that I had to phone them. And you guessed it, by the time I called them, they were shut. So it took me until the afternoon on the 10th to get them to sign me up and get the radio inside the car running. I told them, that if they are selling this promotion as 3 months, then I would expect to get 3 whole months of free radio and then I would evaluate. They agreed and said they would set the evaluation to expire on Jan 10th.

Not even 24 hours after I get the evaluation, they have already called my cell phone 3 times trying to get my to upgrade to a full paid package. The last one the sales person was going on about how my trial is about to expire and I should sign up right away so not to get any interruption in the service. It's been a whole 24 hours that I have had it working. If they are that scummy and won't even let you try out the service before constantly hounding you.

Just curious if anyone else got the same problem?
extech67 likes this.

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 08:53 PM

Wow. Iím glad I havenít activated mine. When I bought my precious car over 10 years ago, I did activate the Satellite Radio service and didnít get such a hard sell. But back then, Sirius and XM were too different companies and Sat Radio was an up and coming technology. Nowadays, with streaming services, theyíre probably hurting and desperate for customers.

2018 HEV Niro EX Metal Stream with Advanced Tech Package
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 10:07 PM

I have had Sirius for a few years. Well let me qualify that , I had the free trial in my Soul but I ripped the stock unit out within a week so I never really used it. My wife likes it so we have subscribed to it for her. I always call to cancel right as the deal they give is going to expire and every time they have just renewed the special price ( 5 months + streaming for $30 ).
They are definitely aggressive with the sales calls, but I have a spam blocker on my cell phone so I do not really care.
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 10:11 PM

I had to speak sharply to them after my three months had expired. I think their last offer was $1 a month and I told them I didn't want it if it was free. And I don't. Low bit rate means super sucky audio quality.
Dave and dots like this.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 11:50 PM

Garage
I only had the original 30 day free trial, didn't sign up for anything additional, but they sure called. And called. And called. Finally able to convince them that I only have a 5-10 minute commute and don't want it. Didn't even listen to it for more than 5 minutes when I had it. For me, the worst part of the car was the Sirius thanks to the calls. I can deal with a few mailings (you will get those, too), but the pesky calls, ugh!
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 06:17 PM

Garage
Would never sign up for Sirius-- as yticolev said, the sound quality is crap, not even as good as FM radio. I insist on much better sound quality, so that alone is a total dealbreaker for me. I had the free trial on my previous vehicle, and had to phone them to activate it, while in the car so that I could push whatever buttons required. I was speaking to a very nice lady in India whose accent was so strong that I simply could not understand what she was saying. After ten minutes of fruitless conversation I gave up, hung up, and resolved never to bother with them again.

2018 EX w/Adv Tech, Metal Stream
Alexandria, VA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
This space intentionally left blank.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 06:50 PM

My SiriusXM has been turned on since I bought the Niro in February. Don't know how long that will last.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 07:43 PM

Our dealer must have started ours because we didn't have to do anything. We are enjoying it for now and signed up for a year, but probably won't continue after a year. Too many commercials. I despise commercials, which is why I watch TV only pre-recorded and skip commercials, so it's kind of a shock for me. We usually listen to audio books when traveling.
KK6PD likes this.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badyellowvette View Post
My SiriusXM has been turned on since I bought the Niro in February. Don't know how long that will last.
Sounds like I might have been stupid to sign up before it expired. The length on a Niro is supposed to be 3 months.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 11:20 PM

badyellowvette bought a used Niro. Apparently the prior owner purchased the Sirius service. May die after a year, or not!

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page