Remote start install? (non UVO vehicle) - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Remote start install? (non UVO vehicle)

Hello, I've searched the forum and found a couple threads on this topic. I have a 2017 EX premium and it does not have UVO or eco and as the title states would like to install a remote starter. Only looking for the most basic 1-button remote starter as the OEM key fob handles everything else. The vehicle is Push-to-Start.

I know it can be done, I'm just looking for some information from anyone that may have tackled this already. This being a newer model there isn't much info out there yet on them.

- Which remote start unit did you use?
- Which immobilizer bypass did you use?

Also when I google remote start for niro this Fortin brand is always the top of the search. Has anyone tried this bybass/interface module? It claims to utilize the OEM key fob for starting by pressing lock button 3x. I wonder if some dealers are using this?

Any input would be great, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

Not sure what you are going to achieve from it? Sure you can get the engine to turn on, and it will run for about 1-2 minutes to do its self-diagnostic checks. But unless you are also getting some form of climate control along with it, what is the point. The ICE will soon just switch off as there is no demand for the unit as you are not driving. it will not really do anything to charge up the battery, that by itself is a pointless process as the standard HEV doesn't really run in pure EV mode unless you are effectively gaming the system, The electric motor inside is not large enough to really run as a pure EV unless you really slowly accelerate or have the side of gravity on your favour. If you are trying to run as an EV up any grade hill you will be running the engine.

So your thought is to get the engine warmed up. Without something to demand the engine to stay one (like having the clime control turned on) to pre-warm the inside of the car, there is no reason for the engine to remain on once it has done the self-checks, so it will turn back off.

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 06:13 PM

If you set the climate control prior to turning off the car, that is where it will be when you start in person or remotely.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
One member in a facebook group installed a remote starter on his 2018 L HEV (model FE in USA). He says that it works well and is pretty handy this winter up north in Quebec. the engine starts, run a bit and lets the engine heat's up. (anyway, no choice there is no heat pump yet) So when he enter's the car and powers the heating. the air is already hot.!

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (13000 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 04:31 PM

Well, that also helps if climate is off. But the cabin will be cold initially. Why not just turn it off with climate on?

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 07:15 PM

It works fine I heat mine up all the time. It’ll run for a bit then shut off but it heats the car up. Not sure why people think it doesn’t.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page