HID headlight bulb options - Kia Niro Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By jmurphEV
  • 1 Post By yticolev

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

HID headlight bulb options

I recently bought a 2019 Niro EX with the premium package so it has HID headlamps. Has anyone tried switching out the stock HID bulbs that they come with?

Looking in the manual it seems our cars come with D8S bulbs (25watt) which leave us with almost zero options. Doing a little digging I have read that certain Ford Focus ST models come with the same bulb size and it seems some owners have been able to switch over to D3S bulbs with some small modifications and swapping out the ballasts for 35w. It's an expensive upgrade for sure ~$500 or so for new bulbs and oem ballasts so before I take the plunge I wanted to see if anyone else has done any research into this. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 11:02 PM

What is it that you don't like about the headlamps?

I love the headlights on my 2018 PHEV EX Premium.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not especially in the know about the different modern headlight technologies. I'm not 100% certain that I know which of the several options were in that trim package. But I have read that Kia offered a few different technologies for different trim packages on the Niro. So if you're not satisfied with the headlights your car came with, I'm wondering if maybe there's an OEM replacement for a different trim package that would be kind of a drop-in replacement? There are a couple of places that claim to offer discount OEM parts (e.g. kiapartsnow.com, maybe others). Maybe one of those places could tell you what they have that is compatible with your car.

2018 Niro PHEV Gravity Blue
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 09:21 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltasmith View Post

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not especially in the know about the different modern headlight technologies. I'm not 100% certain that I know which of the several options were in that trim package. But I have read that Kia offered a few different technologies for different trim packages on the Niro. So if you're not satisfied with the headlights your car came with, I'm wondering if maybe there's an OEM replacement for a different trim package that would be kind of a drop-in replacement? There are a couple of places that claim to offer discount OEM parts (e.g. kiapartsnow.com, maybe others). Maybe one of those places could tell you what they have that is compatible with your car.
The EX Premium PHEV comes with LED headlights, totally different from the HIDs. If I'm reading the KIA website right the EX PHEV and the Touring Hybrid come with HIDs, all other trims use regular projector lights (halogen I assume).

I love the LED lights in my EX Premium PHEV, they're one of the reasons I wanted that model in the first place.
lafe005 likes this.

Jim
Southern Maryland
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
The only problem with my PHEV LED headlignts is that you need to change them in the future, you need tochange the full assembly lights bezel. A nice 1000$ Can.

The second thing is i had to make them adjust a little lower beacuse i was alway's getting "flashed" from the incoming cars all the time!

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (9000 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltasmith View Post

I'm looking to put in bulbs that produce a higher lumen output (3200 lumen) vs stock (2000 lumen) plus I would also like to get closer to a 5k kelvin color temperature versus the 4300k the stock bulbs produce. I'm happy with the beam pattern the HID projector provides so I have not considered switching to the oem LED headlamps.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 12:42 PM

Hey everyone, I posted this is a different thread already. I bought HID lights from Xenon Pro for fog lights and headlights. The anti flicker harnesses turn off the headlight bulbs, but without the anti flicker harness, they run will flicker from time to time.
Fog lights: turn on for 5 seconds then shut themselves off, they even triple red a check engine light. They were not installed with the anti flicker harnesses by the garage I went to, so I have them constantly off.

I’ve had conflicting reports from xenon pro support, one saying to disable the DRL and the other other to get a relay harness.

Does anyone have any ideas on what is going on?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 08:38 PM

The OEM fog bulbs are better for actual fog than whiter, brighter bulbs.
Dovidan likes this.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 01:53 PM

Great, thanks for the feedback. I’ll change them out.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page