Plug in access door light - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Plug in access door light

I've noticed that the light inside the plug in access door stays on as long as the access door is open, so if I charge the car overnight, it stays on until the next morning. Does anyone have a different experience? I would have thought it would turn off automatically after a minute or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 04:21 PM

It would be cool if it had a proximity system. Absent that, how do you think it should work? 2 am trip to the drugstore, can't see to unplug it?

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 05:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
It would be cool if it had a proximity system. Absent that, how do you think it should work? 2 am trip to the drugstore, can't see to unplug it?

Mine does exactly that, it has a proximity sensor. Light turns off when I walk away from the car (after about 30 seconds), and turns back on when I'm within 10 feet or so of the car.

OP probably thinks his stays on all the time because he's always near the car when he's looking at it; simply opening your garage door and peaking into the garage is likely close enough to activate the proximity sensor. Either that or his proximity sensor isn't working right, or maybe has a different model year that perhaps isn't equipped with that sensor.

Or maybe the doors have to be locked in order for it to turn off, and OP doesn't lock his doors at night?

2018 PHEV

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 02-21-2019 at 05:54 PM.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 06:16 PM

Cool, proximity light! How 2019! I assumed it would be relatively expensive. Does it work without your keyfob?

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 07:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
Cool, proximity light! How 2019! I assumed it would be relatively expensive. Does it work without your keyfob?

I don't think so, pretty sure it's tied to the RFID. Door handle lights also come on at the same time, when I walk near my car:

http://www.kniro.net/welcome_light-275.html

Quote:
When all the doors (and tailgate) are locked and closed, the door handle lamp will come on for about 15 seconds if any of the below is performed.
• With the smart key system
- When the vehicle is approached with the smart key in possession.

It must be part of some package that some Niros have and others don't, I'm really not sure

2018 PHEV

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 02-21-2019 at 07:45 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Sure enough - it goes out when I'm not near the car. Thanks.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 08:43 PM

Garage
I have a new 2018 Niro EX PHEV. My access door light stays on for about 3-5min after I plug it and will not come back on when I approach the car with key fob in hand. Nor does it come on if I lock or unlock the door. Given the fact that it was still charging while I tested this may be a factor. I'll see what it does in the morning when I go out to unplug it. But for now, light is off.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 11:07 AM

Garage
Ok...this morning when I went out to the garage with my key fob in hand, the mirrors unfolded, the door handle and plug in door lights came on. I still had to unlock the car in order to unplug the charging cord as I normally do. So I guess there is a proximity sensor for that light once the car has finished it's charging sequence. Makes sense if you think about it. You only need the charger door light on if you are plugging in or unplugging.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFKiaNiro View Post
Ok...this morning when I went out to the garage with my key fob in hand, the mirrors unfolded, the door handle and plug in door lights came on. I still had to unlock the car in order to unplug the charging cord as I normally do. So I guess there is a proximity sensor for that light once the car has finished it's charging sequence. Makes sense if you think about it. You only need the charger door light on if you are plugging in or unplugging.
Glad to hear it works for you. If you don't like having to unlock the door in order to unplug, there's a button on the dashboard in front of your left knee that will disable that feature.

2018 Niro PHEV Gravity Blue

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page