Level 2 charger questions - Page 2 - Kia Niro Forum
 23Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 11:24 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Murrieta, CA
Posts: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Many sources say that level 2 charging is also better for the battery.

I've seen where the UVO help page makes this claim, but I've not seen anyone else asserting that Level 2 charging is better for the battery. Most of the sources I've read suggest the opposite: that slow charging is better than fast charging in terms of battery health. If you have an external source that you can share that describes why Level 2 might be better, I'd love to see that.
charlesH likes this.

2018 Niro PHEV Gravity Blue
deltasmith is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 99
I ordered the Clipper Creek LCS-20 Model Level 2 charger. Thank you all for the input.

For us I believe the purchase will eventually pay for itself. Each week day I have to make 2 separated 30 mile round trips. The trips are 6 hours apart. this will allow me to drive on electric both times.

We traded in a 2008 Toyota Prius on the Plug in Niro. I was the only one in the family who really drove the Prius. With our Niro it seems it is the car of choice for the family. It is almost impossible to keep it plugged in during the day for more than a couple of hours.
charlesH likes this.

Last edited by Johnxyz; 05-11-2019 at 10:07 AM.
Johnxyz is online now  
post #13 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 99
I wanted to add our electric rates are $09 per Kwh so it cost us about $.54 per complete charge. I have been averaging 30 miles on a complete charge so the $.54 for my trip is a good savings over gas in our area which has been staying just under $3.00 per gallon
Johnxyz is online now  
post #14 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 06:09 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnxyz View Post
I wanted to add our electric rates are $09 per Kwh so it cost us about $.54 per complete charge. I have been averaging 30 miles on a complete charge so the $.54 for my trip is a good savings over gas in our area which has been staying just under $3.00 per gallon
maybe

$0.09/kwhr x ~8kwhrs /full charge = ~$0.72/full charge

2018 Niro PHEV LX Silver/charcoal
charlesH is online now  
post #15 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 99
I think the Niro battery management system only lets the battery run down to 6.3 kwh. It maintains a reserve to run start the engine and run accessories on the vehicle - I don't believe it ever lets the battery approach a 0 state of charge. So far when I plug in after having driven the vehicle and exhausting the battery charge in EV mode the kwh monitoring for the outlet the charger is plugged in to says 6 to 6.3 kwh to bring it to full charge from 0.
Johnxyz is online now  
post #16 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 10:09 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnxyz View Post
I think the Niro battery management system only lets the battery run down to 6.3 kwh. It maintains a reserve to run start the engine and run accessories on the vehicle - I don't believe it ever lets the battery approach a 0 state of charge. So far when I plug in after having driven the vehicle and exhausting the battery charge in EV mode the kwh monitoring for the outlet the charger is plugged in to says 6 to 6.3 kwh to bring it to full charge from 0.
I've measured 7.9Kwhrs for a full recharge. Full battery capacity spec is 8.9Kent's, so yes a reserve is maintained.

EPA spec says 32Kwhrs /100miles. 26miles range full tank gives 32 x 26 /100 = 8.3 kwhrs. FWIW.

Thus 6 kwhrs for full recharge seems too low.

I'll measure it again.
Johnxyz likes this.

2018 Niro PHEV LX Silver/charcoal
charlesH is online now  
post #17 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 10:54 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesH View Post
I've measured 7.9Kwhrs for a full recharge. Full battery capacity spec is 8.9Kent's, so yes a reserve is maintained.

EPA spec says 32Kwhrs /100miles. 26miles range full tank gives 32 x 26 /100 = 8.3 kwhrs. FWIW.

Thus 6 kwhrs for full recharge seems too low.

I'll measure it again.
last July I measured and posted 8.15 Kwhrs (after driving 30 EV mi) to fully recharge.
Johnxyz likes this.

2018 Niro PHEV LX Silver/charcoal

Last edited by charlesH; 05-11-2019 at 11:01 PM.
charlesH is online now  
post #18 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 99
Thank you for you data. My device to measure Kwh is cheap and old I can't vouch for its accuracy plus I've only measured 2 of our charges. I would trust your data more than mine. The cost for 30 miles is still very low for around 8 kwh - $.72 as you suggest.

I think Kia hit a home run with the Plug In Niro. We couldn't be more pleased with this vehicle after a week. I still get a little excited driving it. I had no idea a Hybrid Plug in could be so comfortable and fun to drive.
Johnxyz is online now  
post #19 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 07:46 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Southern MD
Posts: 338
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnxyz View Post
I think the Niro battery management system only lets the battery run down to 6.3 kwh. It maintains a reserve to run start the engine and run accessories on the vehicle - I don't believe it ever lets the battery approach a 0 state of charge. So far when I plug in after having driven the vehicle and exhausting the battery charge in EV mode the kwh monitoring for the outlet the charger is plugged in to says 6 to 6.3 kwh to bring it to full charge from 0.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesH View Post
last July I measured and posted 8.15 Kwhrs (after driving 30 EV mi) to fully recharge.
Just to add another data point, the most I've seen added to the battery is 8.29kWh. That's measured by the ChargePoint station at our condo complex so I hope it's fairly accurate. I've seen that level 3 or 4 times over the last several months. Average kWh to full charge from 0 range has been right around 8kWh.

It's important to note that this is the power measured at the AC charger. If the charge controller in the Niro is 95% efficient (WAG) then the actual energy delivered to the battery is more like 7.87kWh.
Johnxyz likes this.

Jim
Southern Maryland / Washington DC
2018 Snow White Pearl EX Premium PHEV
jmurphEV is online now  
post #20 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 01:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnxyz View Post
Thank you for you data. My device to measure Kwh is cheap and old I can't vouch for its accuracy plus I've only measured 2 of our charges. I would trust your data more than mine. The cost for 30 miles is still very low for around 8 kwh - $.72 as you suggest.

I think Kia hit a home run with the Plug In Niro. We couldn't be more pleased with this vehicle after a week. I still get a little excited driving it. I had no idea a Hybrid Plug in could be so comfortable and fun to drive.
I agree! I too am happy. However, I would prefer 100HP EV and 60HP ICE. Currently we have 60HP EV and 100HP ICE.

2018 Niro PHEV LX Silver/charcoal
charlesH is online now  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Level 1 or Level2 for the PHEV? deltasmith Electric Powertrain Discussion 55 08-07-2019 02:34 PM
Is scheduled charging reliable? KiadeNiro 2018+ Kia Niro EV Batteries And Charging 6 04-03-2019 10:42 AM
Level 1 PHEV Charging Stops With No Faults JonPoli 2018+ Kia Niro EV Batteries And Charging 27 12-19-2018 02:46 PM
User manual recommends level 1 charging in case of emergencies? BlueNiroEV 2018+ Kia Niro EV Batteries And Charging 14 08-27-2018 12:27 PM
Portable Level 2 chargers? NNolan 2018+ Kia Niro EV Batteries And Charging 6 06-04-2018 08:33 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome