I've put on as much as 8.9 KWH.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
wow. I'm surprised.

Details please. Measuring instrument? Proceeding ev miles?

2018 Niro PHEV LX Silver/charcoal
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 10:47 PM
Mal

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesH View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
wow. I'm surprised.

Details please. Measuring instrument? Proceeding ev miles?
PN 2000 power monitor, an off brand but the same as sold under different names. 16A max. The KIA provided level 1 charger. I have a bit of uphill before home but a long stop from 55 as well. I don't remember just how much was left when I started, probably not much, no EV for sure, but was a bit surprised as well. I figured maybe 10% or so loss but also figured KIA would, if anything, overstate battery size.
post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesH View Post
I agree! I too am happy. However, I would prefer 100HP EV and 60HP ICE. Currently we have 60HP EV and 100HP ICE.
While I've only had my car a couple of days, I too am overall happy with the system. If I could change any two things (I'm greedy, one change isn't enough ) I would ask for a 6.6 kW charger instead of the 3.3 unit we have, and ask for the ability to switch to 100% EV mode. It would be nice to floor the throttle for a brief spurt without firing up the ICE. I can see the sense to power the engine if I'm climbing a long grade. In fact, I did that on purpose this morning driving to work, since I have a long grade to climb and I think it would be more efficient to use the EV mode where I can get more range out of it.

I'll be experimenting with using the EV/HV modes to see what works the best for my commute. I can't go to work and back home on a single charge, and have no ability to charge at work. So I think it makes sense to plan to use EV mode where it works best. I'll have to see if my thought process has any validity.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
While I've only had my car a couple of days, I too am overall happy with the system. If I could change any two things (I'm greedy, one change isn't enough ) I would ask for a 6.6 kW charger instead of the 3.3 unit we have, and ask for the ability to switch to 100% EV mode. It would be nice to floor the throttle for a brief spurt without firing up the ICE. I can see the sense to power the engine if I'm climbing a long grade. In fact, I did that on purpose this morning driving to work, since I have a long grade to climb and I think it would be more efficient to use the EV mode where I can get more range out of it.

I'll be experimenting with using the EV/HV modes to see what works the best for my commute. I can't go to work and back home on a single charge, and have no ability to charge at work. So I think it makes sense to plan to use EV mode where it works best. I'll have to see if my thought process has any validity.
Yep, I agree. EV sport mode shift points without the ICE. Just a SW change. Kia, are you listening?

2018 Niro PHEV LX Silver/charcoal
post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 08:37 PM

This topic is going towards a question Iíve been asking myself.
There are three modes - ev, hybrid and sport.
When is the best time to use each?
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 06:53 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwind View Post
This topic is going towards a question Iíve been asking myself.
There are three modes - ev, hybrid and sport.
When is the best time to use each?
As with many things in life, the answer is, it depends.
  • Short trips around town with lots of stop and go? EV mode FTW
  • Long stretches on the highway? Kick it to HEV mode and save the EV range for when you get off the freeway
  • Need to merge in traffic or pass that clown going 45 in the left lane? Sport mode will give you more aggressive throttle response and kick the ICE in earlier to give you the most zip.

Of course, you could just do what I assume most of us do and just leave it alone and let the computer figure it out. I've only used Sport mode a couple of times and in general don't fiddle with the EV/HEV button.

Sport mode doesn't actually give you more power, it just changes the throttle response and in some cases runs the ICE at idle to allow a more aggressive takeoff. You can achieve the same effect by just flooring the throttle. In normal mode the throttle is pretty non-linear and requires you to really mash it to get any serious acceleration.

I've tried gaming the EV range by putting it in HEV mode on the highway but it's tough to get it exactly right and several times I found myself at my destination with miles still left on the battery. Kia's done a good job of wringing the most efficiency out of the PHEV and it's pretty hard to beat the computer at its own game.

Jim
Southern Maryland
post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurphEV View Post
As with many things in life, the answer is, it depends.
  • Short trips around town with lots of stop and go? EV mode FTW
  • Long stretches on the highway? Kick it to HEV mode and save the EV range for when you get off the freeway
  • Need to merge in traffic or pass that clown going 45 in the left lane? Sport mode will give you more aggressive throttle response and kick the ICE in earlier to give you the most zip.

Of course, you could just do what I assume most of us do and just leave it alone and let the computer figure it out. I've only used Sport mode a couple of times and in general don't fiddle with the EV/HEV button.

Sport mode doesn't actually give you more power, it just changes the throttle response and in some cases runs the ICE at idle to allow a more aggressive takeoff. You can achieve the same effect by just flooring the throttle. In normal mode the throttle is pretty non-linear and requires you to really mash it to get any serious acceleration.

I've tried gaming the EV range by putting it in HEV mode on the highway but it's tough to get it exactly right and several times I found myself at my destination with miles still left on the battery. Kia's done a good job of wringing the most efficiency out of the PHEV and it's pretty hard to beat the computer at its own game.
I agree with this, but I've noticed Sport mode does seem to provide more power, particularly at low RPM. It's noticeably faster acceleration, but it could be as you note simply the electronics controlling the throttle. But it seems much more powerful than I get just by mashing the throttle.

Since I can't make my work commute round trip just in EV mode (36 mile round trip), I've been using Hybrid mode for the freeway portion. I generally have about 3 miles range when I get home, showing about 120 MPG for the trip. I had to make a 120 mile round trip a couple of days ago, mostly freeway, so I used the same plan. That total trip indicated just under 70 MPG, so I think it pays to manually control the mode when making extended trips.

But if my trip is expected to be completed within the potential battery range (say up to 25 miles), then I'll leave it in EV mode the entire time. So far I've had the car for 5 days, and the total MPG since I picked it us is showing about 95 MPG. I would say I'm pretty satisfied with the entire car. I wish I had the EV range of a Volt or Clarity, but this will be fine for my 3 year lease. I'll be retired by then most likely, and ready to switch to a pure EV.
charlesH likes this.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for the replies and suggestions. We have received and installed a Clipper Creek LCS-20 Level 2 charging station. I am an electrician so I installed it myself. I went ahead and ordered the LPS-20 which is the hardwired model. I installed it in the garage and I used all weathertite fittings and boxes to completely eliminate any concerns with water inadvertently being squirted around- (young kids). Used 20 amp double pole breaker as Clipper Creek recommends and is 25% more than the 16 amps for the unit as required by code. It is a dedicated circuit as required for a Level 2 chargers. Pulled permits and had it inspected. Unit is UL listed which is a must for units installed in a residential dwelling.

Very pleased with the results it has cut charging time down from 7 to 8 hours to just under 2.5. This is going to be the ticket to eliminate gas usage for our family. Quite pleased with the quality and the performance of the Clipper Creek unit.
charlesH likes this.
post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 12:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnxyz View Post
Very pleased with the results it has cut charging time down from 7 to 8 hours to just under 2.5.
That is a BIG difference of charge time.. Still cannot understand why PHEV owners still uses the L1 charger at home!

The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (6600 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page