Level 2 charger questions - Page 5 - Kia Niro Forum
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 07:08 PM

To L2 charge or not to L2 charge?

There is no one size fits all answer. For some, L2 chargers make sense. For others, L1 charging is more than sufficient. For yet others, the flexibility is more important than the money spent.

We did not get a L2 charger for the Niro. We're fine with charging at L1 speeds overnight. We're using our dryer outlet to get L2 charging on our Chevy Volt, which makes sense for us since it's got a bigger battery. It cost me ~$30 in parts to move the outlet from our laundry room to the garage on the other side of the wall, and to make a locking adapter to hook the EVSE into the dryer outlet. Many before me have used the Volt EVSE to plug into 240 volt outlets, so I felt comfortable doing so. We could, if we needed to, plug the Niro into the Volt EVSE to get L2 charging during the day if we need a quicker charge, but have only done it once. It only makes sense on the weekends, due to out Time Of Use electric plan.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if the Niro EVSE can handle 240 volts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerucla View Post
There is no one size fits all answer. For some, L2 chargers make sense. For others, L1 charging is more than sufficient. For yet others, the flexibility is more important than the money spent.

We did not get a L2 charger for the Niro. We're fine with charging at L1 speeds overnight. We're using our dryer outlet to get L2 charging on our Chevy Volt, which makes sense for us since it's got a bigger battery. It cost me ~$30 in parts to move the outlet from our laundry room to the garage on the other side of the wall, and to make a locking adapter to hook the EVSE into the dryer outlet. Many before me have used the Volt EVSE to plug into 240 volt outlets, so I felt comfortable doing so. We could, if we needed to, plug the Niro into the Volt EVSE to get L2 charging during the day if we need a quicker charge, but have only done it once. It only makes sense on the weekends, due to out Time Of Use electric plan.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if the Niro EVSE can handle 240 volts?
Good question. I've wondered that too.

I assume you mean the stock 120v evse? Connect 120v neutral and hot to 240v hot and hot?

Please try it and let us know how it goes.

2018 Niro PHEV LX Silver/charcoal

Last edited by charlesH; 05-23-2019 at 07:18 PM.
post #43 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesH View Post
Good question. I've wondered that too.

I assume you mean the stock 120v evse? Connect 120v neutral and hot to 240v hot and hot?

Please try it and let us know how it goes.
Since it has a 110v/15a plug, I highly doubt it supports 220v. I wouldn't try it unless you're comfortable with frying it and buying a replacement.
charlesH likes this.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #44 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 07:28 PM

The Chevy Volt EVSE also comes with a 120v plug, but people have opened them up and discovered the parts are designed to handle 240v. (https://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...ersion-Capable)

I guess the theory is that they can use the same EVSE in Europe- just put different plugs and labels. In any case, we, along with many other people, have plugged our Chevy Volt EVSEs into a 240v outlet without any problems. I was wondering if it's the same story with the Niro EVSE.
post #45 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerucla View Post
The Chevy Volt EVSE also comes with a 120v plug, but people have opened them up and discovered the parts are designed to handle 240v. (https://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...ersion-Capable)

I guess the theory is that they can use the same EVSE in Europe- just put different plugs and labels. In any case, we, along with many other people, have plugged our Chevy Volt EVSEs into a 240v outlet without any problems. I was wondering if it's the same story with the Niro EVSE.
yes, i've heard the same. Someone try it but be careful.

post #46 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 02:18 PM

I took a closer look at the Kia L1 stock cord. Explicit warning not to connect to any voltage other than 120.

Also, L2 cords now at $70.

Level 2 EV Charger by EV Gear | 30 ft Portable Plug-In Charger, 110v - 240v | Includes Level 1 Adapter | Works with all Electric & Hybrid Cars such as Chevy Volt/Bolt, Nissan Leaf, Prius Prime, Tesla [Y29W92Q2] - $69.99 : kortee.com

post #47 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesH View Post
yes, i've heard the same. Someone try it but be careful.
I have a FB contact from a guy in Calgary Alberta that uses one of the Level 2 EV Portable Plug-In Charger, 110v - 240v like you posted before, and he uses it all the time with no issues. and wow 70$$...

@tigerucla , One thing you need to found out is! what is your nema plug that your charger is using for your Volt ESEV ? The potable 16a that charlesH has posted fits with a nema 6/20, while mine on my full 240v 30a charger, is a nema 6/50R.. Dont know if there is a big difference, but it should all work!

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (8700 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #48 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 12:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnxyz View Post
Hey guys I am a new Niro PHEV owner and I have a question for you. Does the PHEV come standard with a 3.3Kwh onboard charger?
I want to buy a Level 2 charger. If it is indeed a 3.3kwh onboard charger then I am thinking 3300 watts/240 volts = 13.75 amps maximum charging available at 240 volts. If so does it make sense to buy a Level 2 charger rated at more that 16 amps?
What type of Level 2 charger did you guys go with?. I am new to this and hope to learn from your experience
Kia guy here, the Niro PHEV charges at 208 volts at 16 amps maximum, so Kia recommends at least a 240 volt, 32 amp charger to have spare capacity and maximum charger life. You can purchase a charger here that meets all of Kia's requirements through our Amazon partner program. https://www.amazon.com/b/ref=as_li_s...language=en_US
lafe005 and padonion like this.
post #49 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Jones View Post
Kia guy here, the Niro PHEV charges at 208 volts at 16 amps maximum, so Kia recommends at least a 240 volt, 32 amp charger to have spare capacity and maximum charger life. You can purchase a charger here that meets all of Kia's requirements through our Amazon partner program. https://www.amazon.com/b/ref=as_li_s...language=en_US
Kia may suggest that, but I think it's way overkill. I could see a suggestion of a charger in the 20-25 amp range, but doubling the required capacity is not necessary. If I use my daughter's 40 amp $600 charger (EVSE), it makes no difference to my car. Charge rate is the same, and the charger is loafing. Will it increase the life span of the EVSE? I seriously doubt it. The 16 amp charger I bought was under $200, so even if it lasted a slightly shorter period of time than a larger charger, I could buy three of them for the same cost as the JuiceBox my daughter has.

When I switch to a full EV in a few years, I'll get a higher capacity EVSE anyway, so why not save several hundred in the meantime? Especially since I'll likely be living in a different home by then and have to add new wiring. It would have been especially wasteful for me to have purchased a 32 or 40 amp charger for this Niro, and then later buy an EV that could support a 50 or 60 amp EVSE. I might even be able to sell my current 16 amp EVSE to someone in a few years, save them some money and reduce my overall cost even more.

There are some things that might be worthwhile to oversize, but I don't think an EVSE is one of them.
charlesH likes this.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

post #50 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 10:54 PM
Mal

I noticed the $70 charger is no longer found from the link. The Amazon one cheapest is around $600. How can such a huge difference be explained?