Level 2 charger questions - Page 6 - Kia Niro Forum
 23Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 07:06 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
I noticed the $70 charger is no longer found from the link. The Amazon one cheapest is around $600. How can such a huge difference be explained?
I fear the $70 offer is a scam but there are a lot of $150-200 offers on Amazon and eBay.

https://www.amazon.com/Duosida-Electric-Vehicle-Portable-Charger/dp/B07BGGVD9V/ref=sr_1_15?crid=23V4ULU294AQ9&keywords=eve+l2+cha rger&qid=1561547052&s=gateway&sprefix=Ev+l2%2Caps% 2C420&sr=8-15
charlesH is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #52 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator
 
atc98092's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Auburn WA
Posts: 256
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesH View Post
I fear the $70 offer is a scam but there are a lot of $150-200 offers on Amazon and eBay.

Charger on Amazon
This is the exact unit I bought. It's works just fine. However, don't be confused about the wording in the description, and one of the Q&A answers. This is not UL Rated, but it uses a UL Approved cord and plug.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
atc98092 is online now  
post #53 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 09:11 AM
Senior Member
 
TheSilverFlash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 129
It would be a good idea to get at least a 40 amp charger to future proof your charging setup. If you ever get a BEV later down the road, you'll want the additional amperage.

Paul
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium Silky Silver
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT Soul Red

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TheSilverFlash is offline  
post #54 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 09:32 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilverFlash View Post
It would be a good idea to get at least a 40 amp charger to future proof your charging setup. If you ever get a BEV later down the road, you'll want the additional amperage.
true, but I would have to upgrade my 240v 30a socket to use it. Also, I don't think I will ever get a BEV. PHEV works really, really well for me. PHEV is much cheaper and range fill ups take just 5 minutes. Backwords compatibility to existing infrastructure is a concept that works well for many new product categories.

Having a PHEV is like having both a BEV and gas car in my garage.

Last edited by charlesH; 06-27-2019 at 09:36 AM.
charlesH is online now  
post #55 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 10:37 AM
Mal
Senior Member
 
Mal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 139
Just ordered the cheap one, we'll see. My suspicion is that there is one design and only the male plug changes. If so, I'll make up an adapter for my other aftermarket 120v charger and have 2 that do either 120 or 240. I don't dare try that with the one that came with the car, but it's tempting.
Mal is offline  
post #56 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator
 
atc98092's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Auburn WA
Posts: 256
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilverFlash View Post
It would be a good idea to get at least a 40 amp charger to future proof your charging setup. If you ever get a BEV later down the road, you'll want the additional amperage.
That's what I recommended to my daughter when they bought the Pacifica. It has a 6.6 kW charger (32 amp) but I suggested getting at least a 40 amp charger in case they replace their Ioniq HEV for an EV version in the future. I wired a 50 amp circuit for them, and they bought a 40 amp JuiceBox.

Speaking of the JuiceBox, it has one thing that really annoys me. When you plug the car into the charger, they are supposed to communicate with each other. I'm sure it's happening correctly, but the app never shows the actual charge level of the car itself. It always starts at zero %, regardless of the actual battery level. Everything else about the charging session is accurate, but it just doesn't show the battery level accurately. Maybe it's just something with their app.
TheSilverFlash likes this.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
atc98092 is online now  
post #57 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 12:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
That's what I recommended to my daughter when they bought the Pacifica. It has a 6.6 kW charger (32 amp) but I suggested getting at least a 40 amp charger in case they replace their Ioniq HEV for an EV version in the future. I wired a 50 amp circuit for them, and they bought a 40 amp JuiceBox.

Speaking of the JuiceBox, it has one thing that really annoys me. When you plug the car into the charger, they are supposed to communicate with each other. I'm sure it's happening correctly, but the app never shows the actual charge level of the car itself. It always starts at zero %, regardless of the actual battery level. Everything else about the charging session is accurate, but it just doesn't show the battery level accurately. Maybe it's just something with their app.
I don't think the L2 spec includes battery SOC being communicated to the EVSE . The Juicebox has no way of knowing the battery SOC.
charlesH is online now  
post #58 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator
 
atc98092's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Auburn WA
Posts: 256
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesH View Post
I don't think the L2 spec includes battery SOC being communicated to the EVSE . The Juicebox has no way of knowing the battery SOC.
Perhaps not, but it seems like it would be a smart thing to have.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
atc98092 is online now  
post #59 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 02:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Southern MD
Posts: 303
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
Perhaps not, but it seems like it would be a smart thing to have.
There's definitely been proposals to add this feature and others to the next generation of smart chargers / EVs. That would allow things like delaying charging until rates are below a certain threshold or perhaps using BEVs as grid tied storage to facilitate load leveling.

https://www.digikey.com/en/articles/...y-and-security

Wikipedia talks about adding powerline communications to the J1772 standard, that would support this sort of thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_J1772

Jim
Southern Maryland
jmurphEV is online now  
post #60 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 07:06 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 33
I picked up an L2 16a charger for my PHEV -- I get a full charge in about 2 hours 15 mins from a completely drained battery, makes for being able to do my morning routine (gym - 10 miles rount trip) and be fully charged by lunch time for lunch time errands and again be evening for any evening runs.

I picked the 16a unit up with the 30; chord ; 6-50 plug: https://www.primecom.tech
javiera781 is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Level 1 or Level2 for the PHEV? deltasmith Electric Powertrain Discussion 55 08-07-2019 02:34 PM
Is scheduled charging reliable? KiadeNiro 2018+ Kia Niro EV Batteries And Charging 6 04-03-2019 10:42 AM
Level 1 PHEV Charging Stops With No Faults JonPoli 2018+ Kia Niro EV Batteries And Charging 27 12-19-2018 02:46 PM
User manual recommends level 1 charging in case of emergencies? BlueNiroEV 2018+ Kia Niro EV Batteries And Charging 14 08-27-2018 12:27 PM
Portable Level 2 chargers? NNolan 2018+ Kia Niro EV Batteries And Charging 6 06-04-2018 08:33 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome