Level 2 charger questions - Kia Niro Forum
 22Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 51
Level 2 charger questions

Hey guys I am a new Niro PHEV owner and I have a question for you. Does the PHEV come standard with a 3.3Kwh onboard charger?
I want to buy a Level 2 charger. If it is indeed a 3.3kwh onboard charger then I am thinking 3300 watts/240 volts = 13.75 amps maximum charging available at 240 volts. If so does it make sense to buy a Level 2 charger rated at more that 16 amps?
What type of Level 2 charger did you guys go with?. I am new to this and hope to learn from your experience
Johnxyz is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 07:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Southern MD
Posts: 255
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnxyz View Post
Hey guys I am a new Niro PHEV owner and I have a question for you. Does the PHEV come standard with a 3.3Kwh onboard charger?
I want to buy a Level 2 charger. If it is indeed a 3.3kwh onboard charger then I am thinking 3300 watts/240 volts = 13.75 amps maximum charging available at 240 volts. If so does it make sense to buy a Level 2 charger rated at more that 16 amps?
What type of Level 2 charger did you guys go with?. I am new to this and hope to learn from your experience
I looked at a Level 2 charger for my PHEV, but decided against it as I normally charge overnight and so it doesn't really matter that it takes 7 hours to charge. Having said that, a 16A Level 2 charger is more than enough, but the question is future proofing. Other than cost there's no downside to getting a higher capacity Level 2 charger and it could come in handy if you end up purchasing a BEV Niro or similar. The e-Niro will charge in 9.5h at 220V, which is probably OK for most home charging situations.

I guess as with most of these questions, YMMV.
Johnxyz likes this.

Jim
Southern Maryland
jmurphEV is online now  
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 51
Thank you
Johnxyz is online now  
post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 10:47 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnxyz View Post
Hey guys I am a new Niro PHEV owner and I have a question for you. Does the PHEV come standard with a 3.3Kwh onboard charger?
I want to buy a Level 2 charger. If it is indeed a 3.3kwh onboard charger then I am thinking 3300 watts/240 volts = 13.75 amps maximum charging available at 240 volts. If so does it make sense to buy a Level 2 charger rated at more that 16 amps?
What type of Level 2 charger did you guys go with?. I am new to this and hope to learn from your experience
I am using a level 1 now but I have a 6-20P (20A) plug ready for the niro 16A max l2 capability if I decide it's worth it in the future.

I would consider how likely you are to have a greater than 20a outlet in the future to plug into.

2018 Niro PHEV LX Silver/charcoal
charlesH is online now  
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 11:50 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesH View Post
I am using a level 1 now but I have a 6-20P (20A) plug ready for the niro 16A max l2 capability if I decide it's worth it in the future.

I would consider how likely you are to have a greater than 20a outlet in the future to plug into.
another perspective

A L2 16a charger will charge ~10miles per hour. Thus 10hrs overnight charges ~100 miles. If your daily mileage is less than 100miles, you will rarely need more than a 16a charger for home charging even with an EV.

On a trip you can use the EVs fast dc charger.

2018 Niro PHEV LX Silver/charcoal
charlesH is online now  
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 06:52 AM
Mal
Senior Member
 
Mal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 128
You may be missing the point of a level 2 charger. It charges twice as fast at the SAME amperage. Many sources say that level 2 charging is also better for the battery.

In actual practice, I've found that a level 2 charger charges at almost 3 times as fast as a level 1 charger. I can't explain why. When I visit my daughter, I often use a level 2 and it really adds to the utility of the car. I thought over night was enough but return home thinking I need a level 2.

Something I hadn't thought of before buying the plug in is that it should be plugged in..... and fully charged occasionally. But, why wouldn't you?

In direct answer, however, the EV is the future of individual transportation. When I install a charger, it will be the biggest I and my electrical system can afford.

Last edited by Mal; 05-10-2019 at 07:01 AM.
Mal is online now  
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 09:32 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Southern MD
Posts: 255
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
You may be missing the point of a level 2 charger. It charges twice as fast at the SAME amperage. Many sources say that level 2 charging is also better for the battery.

In actual practice, I've found that a level 2 charger charges at almost 3 times as fast as a level 1 charger. I can't explain why.
The amperage is the same, but the voltage is double and so the power delivered is also double (13A x 120 V = 1560W vs 13.6A x 240V = 3264W). Plus there is an added efficiency to higher rate charging because the charger in the car has to convert the incoming AC to the ~360VDC required by the battery. Converting from 220VAC to 360VDC is more efficient than going from 120VAC.

I'm not convinced there's an appreciable difference between Level 1 and Level 2 when it comes to the health of the battery. Charging at a lower rate reduces battery heating, which in turns reduces the likelihood of chemical changes inside. Plus, the on-board charge controller is designed to maximize the life of the battery regardless of which charger the car is plugged into.

Jim
Southern Maryland
jmurphEV is online now  
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 388
Garage
Since the PHEV come standard with a 3.3Kwh onboard charger, i use a 240v 30amp home charger. I have never used my personnal 120v charger that came with the car. 2.5h time of charge at home and it's full.

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!


Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (8140 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
lafe005 is online now  
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 03:50 PM
ak2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 3
I'm using a Clipper Creek LCS-20. I'm very happy with it so far. Having a level 2 charger is great on weekends when I go someplace in the morning, and take another trip later in the day.

2019 Niro PHEV
ak2 is offline  
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 04:49 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurphEV View Post
The amperage is the same, but the voltage is double and so the power delivered is also double (13A x 120 V = 1560W vs 13.6A x 240V = 3264W). Plus there is an added efficiency to higher rate charging because the charger in the car has to convert the incoming AC to the ~360VDC required by the battery. Converting from 220VAC to 360VDC is more efficient than going from 120VAC.

I'm not convinced there's an appreciable difference between Level 1 and Level 2 when it comes to the health of the battery. Charging at a lower rate reduces battery heating, which in turns reduces the likelihood of chemical changes inside. Plus, the on-board charge controller is designed to maximize the life of the battery regardless of which charger the car is plugged into.
IIRC

L1 8,10,or 12a x 120V = 1440 W @12a
L2 16a x 240v = 3840 W

3840W/1440W =2.67

Charge time spec Ll/L2 = 6.5hr/2.5hr = 2.6

Consistent

2018 Niro PHEV LX Silver/charcoal
charlesH is online now  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Level 1 or Level2 for the PHEV? deltasmith Electric Powertrain Discussion 51 05-15-2019 04:48 PM
Is scheduled charging reliable? KiadeNiro 2018+ Kia Niro EV Batteries And Charging 6 04-03-2019 10:42 AM
Level 1 PHEV Charging Stops With No Faults JonPoli 2018+ Kia Niro EV Batteries And Charging 27 12-19-2018 02:46 PM
User manual recommends level 1 charging in case of emergencies? BlueNiroEV 2018+ Kia Niro EV Batteries And Charging 14 08-27-2018 12:27 PM
Portable Level 2 chargers? NNolan 2018+ Kia Niro EV Batteries And Charging 6 06-04-2018 08:33 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome