I need brighter headlights. - Kia Niro Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

I need brighter headlights.

Driving at dark in the morning the 2017 EX lights are just not cutting it. I have read a few threads on swapping out the Halogens for LED or HID. So what works better with my headlight housings? I have had bad luck with LED before, never seem to cast enough light down the road. What kind of setup do I need for HID's? Also what about a 4 high-beam setup I have on my truck where low and high beam come on together, would that work with LED or HID?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Honestly, I would never install HIDs in a housing that wasn't designed for them. The housing is designed to minimize the potential for glare in the eyes of an oncoming driver, and have a sharp cutoff of the upper edge of the beam. I know they make LED bulbs that can be used to replace a halogen light, but again I would hesitate unless the light itself has some sort of beam shaping. Not only can it be annoying and dangerous for an oncoming driver, but it quite possibly could be illegal as well.

My car has LED headlights, and they're quite impressive, although the LEDs in my Subaru would turn with the steering wheel. What would be involved to install them on a model that came with halogen, I can't say. But it probably wouldn't be cheap.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 01:06 PM

HID conversion is usually not practical. You can fairly easily switch over to LEDs but there can be a number of issues (housing adaptors, heat, lifespan, CANBUS compatibility) and the results are not always better than the OEM halogens. Some like the color difference even if the total lumens are the same (warning: white light causes glare reducing actual benefit to real eyes). Lots of people have done this and Ioniq forums may be a better resource for you (identical hardware). Here is one such thread:
https://www.ioniqforum.com/threads/d...t-to-led.30630

A YouTube search may also be helpful for general help even if not Niro/Ioniq specific.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 02:01 PM

Location: Knoxville, TN (soon to be Elizabethton, TN) work in Asheville, NC
Garage
The PHEV comes with LEDs. Maybe it's time to trade up and bask in the glow of EV driving?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Paul
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium Silky Silver
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT Soul Red

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 08:14 PM

HIDs will work with PROJECTOR style headlights... not sure why some people would say they wouldn't work or be practical.
SOME LED bulbs will be brighter then stock halogen but lack a hot spot needed for best vision down road.
I have not found a documented source yet for brighter/better LED bulbs yet.

I would upgrade your fog light bulbs with led if your car has the fog lights and I would just get sylvania ultras halogen bulbs if you didn't want to mess around with HIDs or LEDs.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Halogen projector housings are not designed for HIDs, both for temperature control and light projection control. HIDs and LEDs throw an extremely sharp beam of light. The projector housing does nothing to shape that light, so HIDs and LEDs can end up being dazzling to oncoming drivers. Light housings designed for HIDs and LEDs shape the light beam, in particular by creating a sharp cutoff of the upper edge that keeps the light beam below the eye level of the oncoming driver. It makes a significant difference in the dazzling effect. I had a Passat with halogen projectors, and it would have been terrible to put HIDs in them.

Another thing that most (but not all) cars with HIDs or LEDs are leveling lights. If the rear of the car is loaded down, the lights adjust to keep that sharp upper edge where it belongs. Cars with standard projectors do not have that function.

Dan

Last edited by atc98092; 09-24-2019 at 09:43 AM.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 09:25 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
Projector housings are not designed for HIDs, both for temperature control and light projection control. HIDs and LEDs throw an extremely sharp beam of light. The projector housing does nothing to shape that light, so HIDs and LEDs can end up being dazzling to oncoming drivers. Light housings designed for HIDs and LEDs shape the light beam, in particular by creating a sharp cutoff of the upper edge that keeps the light beam below the eye level of the oncoming driver. It makes a significant difference in the dazzling effect. I had a Passat with halogen projectors, and it would have been terrible to put HIDs in them.

Another thing that most (but not all) cars with HIDs or LEDs are leveling lights. If the rear of the car is loaded down, the lights adjust to keep that sharp upper edge where it belongs. Cars with standard projectors do not have that function.
I think this is incorrect, most if not all factory HID / LED systems are projector type. Certainly the LED headlights on my EX Premium PHEV Niro are projectors. Putting HID or LED bulbs in a conventional reflector housing will give poor results, either blinding oncoming drivers or providing a seriously degraded light pattern. Here are the LED lights from the EX Premium, clearly projector type. Otherwise, you are correct, putting HIDs or LEDs in any housing designed for a halogen bulb is a bad idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NiroLights.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	5525  
viperman_69 likes this.

Jim
Southern Maryland / Washington DC
2018 Snow White Pearl EX Premium PHEV
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Yes, projectors are used with factory HIDs, but the housing is different from halogen based projectors. I should have been more specific that I was referring to adding HIDs to halogen projector housings, not a blanket statement about projectors. I'll edit my post.

Dan

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 12:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
Yes, projectors are used with factory HIDs, but the housing is different from halogen based projectors. I should have been more specific that I was referring to adding HIDs to halogen projector housings, not a blanket statement about projectors. I'll edit my post.
You are absolutely correct that installing a bulb in a housing designed for a different type is a bad idea and will almost always lead to worse performance.

Jim
Southern Maryland / Washington DC
2018 Snow White Pearl EX Premium PHEV
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 03:28 PM

I have not seen or heard of ANY situation where adding HID bulbs to a car with projectors ended up producing a bad/worse light output...
Not saying it couldn't happen, just that I have never seen or heard of that happening and I have literally watched hundreds of videos on headlights/bulbs.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page