Plugging in your devices? - Page 3 - Kia Niro Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Right, I recognize the hill hold feature. Personally I'd like the option to disable creep completely, and see if I prefer it that way. I know of no hack to do so, however.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:41 PM

I haven't driven my Niro for a week. First thing out of the driveway was check to see that I wasn't crazy with what I reported in this thread. Yup, clearly the motor is placing a load on the drivetrain at a stop and in gear. Toggled in and out of neutral, attitude changed with each shift and the front tires tried to dig in or relax respectively.

Sorry, if this happens with mine, it happens with all Niros (and Ioniqs). Can't be a one off. I did a search for the post I quoted about 200 watt load, couldn't find it. But it certainly should be in the ballpark just picturing what a 50 watt load would do in creep mode. So creep on level road is capable of 6 mph (or 10 kph). I'll leave the watt calculation to others, but again, seems about right if the creep load is constant and not changed at a stop.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I've been paying closer attention to mine now that we've been discussing this, and I might be mistaken. There are times it seems the creep might be enabled while braking, while other times it doesn't seem to be there. I'm leaning more to agreeing with you, and I wish I could turn it off...

Dan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old Today, 07:21 AM

Garage
Hey, @atc98092 , @yticolev ,

Does it depend on how hard you depress the brake pedal while stopped? I tend to keep fairly firm pressure on the pedal and I don't notice any change when I shift between D and N. I tried it again yesterday on the way home just to be sure. Now, if I have very light pressure on the pedal then yes, the car seems to anticipate my releasing the brakes and starts applying torque, presumably to prevent rolling back when the brakes are fully off. That's when I get the creaking sound that was discussed months ago and I can feel the suspension loading up.

Jim
Southern Maryland
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old Today, 08:29 AM

I’ll play with depressing brakes further next time I go out next week. Normally I only do light presses. Hard to imagine how or why creep would act differently though. I do admit to not knowing how hill hold works. If that is computer aided rather than a mechanical system, programming could be doing anything. I can also picture a firm fast stop loading the suspension in such a way as to obscure attitude changes from toggling neutral.

Here is another puzzle for everyone: does the Niro have a reverse gear? Before buying it I just assumed no, and for the same reason assumed EV functioned as the first gear. Posters on the Ioniq forum say yes to a reverse gear and that they’ve had the engine engage. I had occasion yesterday to really kick it going backwards for the first time in 16 months of owning it. Great Scott! EV only and a takeoff I can never do forward without the engine engaging. Uphill even. Meant to find a big empty road where I might try an eighth of a mile to experiment but forgot while I was out.

Of course, a good parts diagram of transmission would settle this without empirical experiments.

post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old Today, 10:21 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
Here is another puzzle for everyone: does the Niro have a reverse gear? Before buying it I just assumed no, and for the same reason assumed EV functioned as the first gear. Posters on the Ioniq forum say yes to a reverse gear and that they’ve had the engine engage. I had occasion yesterday to really kick it going backwards for the first time in 16 months of owning it. Great Scott! EV only and a takeoff I can never do forward without the engine engaging. Uphill even. Meant to find a big empty road where I might try an eighth of a mile to experiment but forgot while I was out.

Of course, a good parts diagram of transmission would settle this without empirical experiments.
Not a diagram, but here are the specs on the transmission. The HEV and PHEV definitely do have a separate reverse gear. The EV Niro interestingly does not. It looks like the full electric just reverses the motor, which make sense.

Tech specs from this link:

https://www.kia.com/content/dam/kwcm...cification.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GearRatios.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	5297  

Jim
Southern Maryland
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old Today, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I assume the hill hold is applying the mechanical brakes, because it has a definite release when it times out. I don't think it uses the motor to hold it.

Dan

post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old Today, 04:51 PM

Yup, applying physical brakes. But it could do that the same way AEB works, thus computer controlled.

Thanks for posting those tech specs jmurphEV. So definitely a reverse gear, which seems unnecessary to me. Interesting is an almost non-existent jump in ratios between 4th and 5th gear. What's the point of that?

post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old Today, 06:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Yup, applying physical brakes. But it could do that the same way AEB works, thus computer controlled.

Thanks for posting those tech specs jmurphEV. So definitely a reverse gear, which seems unnecessary to me. Interesting is an almost non-existent jump in ratios between 4th and 5th gear. What's the point of that?
That looks weird because it's a DSG with two different final drives where 4th uses one and 5th the other. It's a wonky setup with the four lower gears using one shaft and the two highest on the other. I assume it's a packaging / efficiency thing rather than a shift speed thing as in a more "normal" DSG where the odd and even gears are on separate shafts so the next gear can be pre-selected for faster shifts. Obviously the Niro is not targeted at people looking for fast shifts.

From a previous thread on this very topic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNEX2017 View Post
I found a service manual source online that gives 5th, 6th, and reverse the lower 3.227 final ratio, and 1-2-3-4 the higher final ratio.

Kia Niro : Specifications : DCT(Dual Clutch Transmission) System
https://www.kianiroforum.com/forum/1...s-4th-5th.html

Jim
Southern Maryland
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old Today, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:

With a gas engine you still have to have a reverse gear in the transmission. Assuming either the motive battery was completely drained, or perhaps some sort of fault, you'd have to be able to back it up with the engine.

Dan

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page