Installation of HF Ham Radio Equipment Issues - Kia Niro Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By yticolev

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Installation of HF Ham Radio Equipment Issues

Since the VHF / UHF radio installed with no problems, I decided it was time to try and install my ICOM IC-706MKIIG. Since the radio requires 20 amps, I can't plug it into the electrical receptacles. I decided to use a battery powered portable car starter.

I installed a long whip antenna (tip of a non-colinear marine antenna) along with a K400 3/8-24 lip mount connected to an SG 237 tuner. Everything works well and the radio doesn't interfere withthe car's electrical systems. The only issue is noise hash from the switching power supplies in the vehicle.

I'm going to try some additional shielding and maybe rerouting the wires to the radio.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cary, NI2Q - Amateur Extra Class
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I've never bothered trying to install an HF rig in any of my cars. Does't seem to be the bands I'd want to work while in motion. I've never had an issue with VHF/UHF, although I've never taken my handheld in my Niro. I really should dig that thing out and see how it works in there. Back when I had an hour's commute 2 meters kept me awake and alert after working a mid-shift. With traffic now I'm not too certain how much I want to fiddle with a radio while driving.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 08:52 AM

Garage
Where did you mount the antenna and how did you run the antenna coax through into the car? Asking for a friend...haha (KG4GYV, btw). Also, could you post pictures of the install?

If you have the Plug-in Hybrid Niro, you could run the ICOM's power cables directly to the 12v accessory battery in the trunk.

Paul
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium Silky Silver
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT Soul Red

Last edited by TheSilverFlash; 09-01-2019 at 08:56 AM.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilverFlash View Post
If you have the Plug-in Hybrid Niro, you could run the ICOM's power cables directly to the 12v accessory battery in the trunk.
That would be a quick way to drain that tiny little thing!

KA7IZA

Dan

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 05:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
That would be a quick way to drain that tiny little thing!

KA7IZA
Aux Battery Saver bro

Paul
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium Silky Silver
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT Soul Red

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Yeah, but from comments here I'm not certain how many times it will cycle before disabling itself. Sounds like there's a limit to how many times it can be tripped. I would imagine a full 100 watt HF rig would zip that little thing fast. Maybe not if the car is "running", but it sure wouldn't last long otherwise.

Dan

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 07:51 PM

A pair of standard halogen front lights are about 110 watts.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
A pair of standard halogen front lights are about 110 watts.
Understandable comparison, but not quite accurate. Current draw isn't a direct calculation of the output power. A 100 watt output ham radio can draw close to 15 amps at maximum draw. My Kenwood TS-430 is rated at 200 watts output CW (steady signal out, not a modulated voice signal) and has a max draw of 20 amps. The Niro PHEV battery couldn't handle that for long.

Dan

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 09:54 AM

Output power! I didn't get that.
atc98092 likes this.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page