Kia Niro Forum banner
  • Welcome to the Kia Niro forum! We discuss all models of the Niro, including the Hybrid, PHEV and EV versions. We are glad you stopped by. Feel free to browse the various topics, along with out FAQs. To enable posting, you need to register for a user account. There is no cost for this. Just click in the upper right corner where it says Login/Join. We look forward to your continued parcipitation.

Engine not engaging on start.

19K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  PAULRIDES 
#1 ·
Several times I have started the car (foot on brake, pressed start) and put it in reverse only to find that the gas pedal wouldn't work. The rear screen camera was on, and I believe the engine was on, but no power was given to the gas pedal. For the first time, yesterday, the same thing happened going forward. The engine was on, but the gas wasn't engaged and power steering wasn't on. The grade let the car roll forward and I could just barely muscle the steering wheel to control direction.

In all cases, turning the car off and restarting allowed normal functioning. This sounds like a computer and not a mechanical problem, but I'm curious if any other Niro's are suffering from this.

Ned

#5 · (Edited)
This happened to me two days ago! I have noticed some quirks, or maybe normal things that I'm not yet familiar with as we just purchased our Niro EX mid July. When you start the car in ACC mode only, NO engine, NO hybrid start, just ACC (accessory) mode to run radio etc. you get the intermittent warning regarding starting the car to prevent battery discharge...... (12v lithium portion battery that is, not hybrid battery), well, when driving, if you pull into a parking space, turn off the car, but do NOT exit the vehicle, it's like it goes into this ACC mode because the battery warning starts showing up on the dash screen (same screen as backup cam), opening and closing the driver side door while remaining in the driver seat solves this. I suspect that actually exiting the vehicle fully turns it off, but when I got back in the vehicle, I pressed start, with foot on brake, and everything lit up, I was on an upcline so rolled back while shifted into reverse but noticed the steering wheel was tight, the car was NOT on in drive mode!! I don't think this is actually a software bug with the vehicle but a sequencing error on my part. So far everything has worked great 99% of the time......... I may just have to get out the manual and read the basics lol, like how to start/stop the vehicle and what various deviations may trigger various issues. Also, it would be a good idea for those of us experiencing this quirk to be sure to look just under the gas/hybrid battery gauge on the dash behind the steering wheel, the little car icon, if it is lit up, the car is read to drive, if it's not on the car is NOT correctly started and/or ready to drive.

#6 ·
Ned- it sounds like you may have pressed the start when you weren't in park, or put in R or D before the scan was finished. I've done it myself a couple times. If you came out of park before it is finished "sweeping" or the scan it does when you start (with the little jingle), it's not started- just on. Bottom line, until it finishes the sweep(you must be in park the whole time), and you see the green car and arrow symbol, you can't drive off.

#12 ·
I have seen a couple crazy things also.

Can't say exactly what I DID or DID NOT Do.

Like park in garage, hit turn off but did not go to park. Then it says go to park.

Seems like some times - I had to restart and then turn off.

Don't know, but convinced you have to do it right or it gets confused and so do I.

Guess starting to go has not been a problem as I typically do start and then put seat belt on (while in park).

Cars are safer now with all this interaction, but sometimes I wish for the simple days. I am 79 years old, so simple days are Long Ago. HA! Nearly back to straight shifts and for sure back to No Seat Belts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.