Kia Niro Forum banner
  • Welcome to the Kia Niro forum! We discuss all models of the Niro, including the Hybrid, PHEV and EV versions. We are glad you stopped by. Feel free to browse the various topics, along with out FAQs. To enable posting, you need to register for a user account. There is no cost for this. Just click in the upper right corner where it says Login/Join. We look forward to your continued parcipitation.

Ford Discontinues C-MAX and Toyota Discontinues Prius-V

7K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  tonepad 
#1 ·
So basically the 2 cars that the Niro was going against are now being discontinued. Does this basically mean there isn't a demand for a small CUV that isn't all-wheel drive?

#2 ·
The Prius V wasn't a CUV. Rather it was distinctly wagonish, which is out of favor. Rumor has it (take that for what it's worth) that for 2019 will replace it with a more CUV-like version of the Prius. We'll see.

The C-Max was more of a hatchback, but seem to trail the competitors (Prius, Ioniq, Niro) in basically all stats - cargo space, mileage, etc.

Hopefully this will mean more Niro sales :)

#5 ·
Well, i really meant versus the other hatchbacks - Ioniq/Prius, although I looked and really it's about the same. Except for the V, which was basically a minivan/SUV for trunk space.

So the C-Max got the mileage of a Prius V, with the trunk space of a regular Prius/Ioniq. I must note that I never saw the C-Max in person... I happened to see my first one ever on the road today!

P.S. After looking at the Prius, Ioniq, and Niro (and Prius V, but not relevant for this sentence) in person, I don't think it's fair to compare cargo specs between hatchbacks and crossovers. The hatchbacks have angular space with lots of corners and even small amounts of cargo will very quickly start to block the back window. And due to all the angular spaces you can only fit so many boxes/suitcases. Or at least that's what I told myself to justify getting the Niro ;-)

#11 ·
The Prius V failed because it only gets 38 to 42 mpg. That's not that great for the absurd look of the car, inside and out.
The C-Max (Energi) failed because it simply costs too much. It is a fantastic car and can be obtained for about $12K now, new about $32K.

Ford and Chevy have produced Hybrid and Plug In hybrid since 2012. (Focus EV, Fusion Energi, and C-Max Energi) Ford messed it all up simply by using the word Energi. Nobody knows what that means. They should have just said Plug-In Hybrid.

The Chevy Volt is losing sales to it's only cousin the Bolt, which has nothing at all in common with the Volt.

Toyota is going to win the entirely electric car when they make Hydrogen powered cars normal car priced. (Hydrogen the most abundant element in the Universe, and when used in the car produces H20, that's pure water)

Don't get too excited about this entire topic. Alternative fueled cars make up less than 1% of the market, and just because we are in it, we already embrace the change. We are decidedly in the minority.

#12 ·
Former C-Max owner here...just turned in my leased car 03/13/18. I liked the C-Max and found it very useful in cargo space and kinda peppy for a Hybrid...very much so against a Prius. They are very common in SoCal but alas it wasn't enough to keep Ford standing behind it in America as a Hybrid. They are all over Europe...pedominantly as Diesels but that picture will probly change soon as the EU clamps down on the Diesel issue. Europeans like diesels since petrol is so expensive there. They're lagging behind the Hybrid/EV future, and I don't think Ford will change that. The C-MAx as a design is very long of tooth and can only be changed so much. I'm not aware of Hyundai/Kia's footprint in the EU...I think they have a presence.

I took delivery of my '18 Niro Touring and it blows the C-Max outta the water in almost every way. I'm pretty sure that impression will grow over my Honeymoon period. My initial positive C-Max impressions never subsided, but I can't support a Car Co. that doesn't support its own products. This is why I'm a Lessee. Who knows where any car company will be in 3 years. I hope Kia continues to be a leader in this arena...they are the top for me today, and I'd like to believe I can stay with them beyond my lease period.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.