8 Cool Kia Niro Facts - Kia Niro Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Alex
  • 1 Post By Broncos
  • 1 Post By drewesque

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

8 Cool Kia Niro Facts

the guys at MotorTrend saw the model in person last week, Kia stopped by their office with the all-new 2017 Niro hybrid crossover.

They were able to get a close look at the Toyota Prius competitor thatís set to go on sale early next year after the release of the Optima hybrid and plug-in hybrid. Their cool facts list didnít mention much regarding the crossoverís driving dynamics which leads us to believe that they werenít given a chance to drive it and this was purely a show and tell kind of meeting. During they discussion, they learned of eight new details about the 2017 Niro.

Kia Intentionally Designed The Niro To Be Crossover/SUV-Like

Most hybrid vehicles already in the market were designed to optimize aerodynamics so they are generally wedge shaped and the designers at Kia didnít want to follow this trend. They wanted something to set their first dedicated hybrid vehicle apart from the rest and thus the crossover/suv- like body. Kis calls this a "hybrid utility vehicle", something that is both practical and has enough interior space for the whole family.

CVT Was Never Going To Make An Appearance

Just like the body, most hybrids comes with a continuously variable transmission (CVT) but Kia just didnít want a belt-type transmission in the Niro. Thatís why they equipped it with a six-speed dual-clutch unit instead so it doesnít drive the same as its competitors.

Niro Is Only 10% Related To The Hyundai Elantra and Kia Forte

We know that the 2017 Kia Niro shares the same platform as the Hyundai Elantra and Kia Forte but, what we didnít know was that it only shares 10% of the chassis parts with the other two models because the Niro was designed to be a hybrid only.

The Powertrain is Hybrid Only

Kia engineered the 1.6-liter GDI four-cylinder engine specifically for Hyundai and Kia hybrid applications so you wonít be seeing this Atkinson Cycle engine in anything but a hybrid.

Plug-In Hybrid Is Coming

For those of you waiting for the plug-in hybrid Niro, your wait wonít be too long because itís set to be revealed a few months after the standard Niro hits showroom floors early next year. If itís similar to the Hyundai Ioniq, we could be seeing a pure electric range of 25 miles (40 km) or more.

No All-Wheel Drive

At least we wonít be seeing it anytime soon. The Niro will be front-wheel-drive only and the same would apply to the plug-in version too. In order to make it AWD, the platform would need to be changed to fit the system. Maybe one day weíll see an AWD Niro with an electric motor fitted into the rear.

Navigation System Helps You Save Fuel

Depending on the type of elevation youíre driving on; uphill, downhill, or on level ground, the Niro will use the navigation system and cruise control to anticipate topographical changes and adjust the energy flow as needed to optimize efficiency. Kia is the first company to adjust this system for both ascending and descending settings.

Fuel Efficient And Affordable

The Niro was engineered to be fuel efficient at 50 mpg (4.7 L/100km) and even with a body thatís not wedge-like, it still only has a drag coefficient of 0.29. We can expect the starting MSRP to be around $25,000 USD which puts it on par with the Toyota Prius. Thatís a long of bang for your buck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 04:52 PM

Starting at $25000? I can get a Prius starting at $24200 with proven hybrid system and 60 mpg. Way to screw up Kia.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 01:02 PM

But the Prius is hideous now.. and it seems the Niro is more spacious no ? Ultimately, it comes down to what you'll be using it for and what serves better for you, but I do agree, they could have priced this a lot better
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 11:24 AM

That depends on who you ask since to some people it will still look good, to some they might even look past its design and just take it for what it is. A lot of people are comfortable with the idea of buying from a certain brand over another, that alone can dictate their purchase. The same can't be said as much for Kia, although its growing.
Dovidan likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 01:49 PM

Kia is definitely growing, but is no where as followed as much as Toyota is. Toyota has long developed that relationship with the world for loyalty, reliability and it shows in their sales. This is gonna be an interesting one to see how the Niro is going to perform.
Dovidan likes this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badyellowvette View Post
Starting at $25000? I can get a Prius starting at $24200 with proven hybrid system and 60 mpg. Way to screw up Kia.
The Prius has a non-existent trunk and extremely small rear seat.

Carlos Arturo Velarde
2018 Kia Niro EX
Silky Silver, heat rejecting ceramic tint
Alluring Exposures Photography

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 11:01 PM

Those prices isn't what actually happened. Got my Niro for less than a Prius.

Gene Daytona Beach Beach, Fl.
2018 Kia Niro LX 7/11/18-
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator

i took a look at a Prius and was shocked at the cost. sure it did have a low starting price, but you pretty much had to load it up with extras to get a vehicle that you could drive. I did ask to take the absolute base model out for a test drive but the dealer didn't have any. I asked why not and he was upfront in that they don't sell them with anything less than the middle package trim car. That was the point that I liked with the Niro is it came pretty well equipped as standard. you really don't need to buy up. I did buy the model above base just because I needed a car in stock and not wanting to wait for one to get ordered because I didn't want two BLACK cars.

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badyellowvette View Post
Now that I have had the opportunity, while on vacation, to drive my Niro exclusively on service streets (no highway) I have averaged 59-61 MPG for 11 of the 12 gallons that fit in the gas tank.

Carlos Arturo Velarde
2018 Kia Niro EX
Silky Silver, heat rejecting ceramic tint
Alluring Exposures Photography

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 01:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlNiro View Post
Those prices isn't what actually happened. Got my Niro for less than a Prius.
Yeah, Kia negotiates. Toyota told me that they are popular enough not to come down. I walked away. And, as others have said, the trim levels really increase the price.
FlNiro likes this.

Drew
2019 PHEV EX Premium

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page