Kia NIro EV Caught Alongside The Hyundai Kona Electric - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Kia NIro EV Caught Alongside The Hyundai Kona Electric

Kia is expanding the Niro range to include a pure electric model and its prototype was spotted testing alongside the new Hyundai Kona EV. A subsidiary of the Hyundai-Kia Automotive Group, it’s not that surprising to see both test mules being developed in tandem.

This is the first time automotive spy photographers has seen the NIro EV testing on public roads and though most of its body is covered by camouflage, we can expect a design similar to the outgoing NIro hybrid. Of course there are going to be a few changes including a set of repositioned fog lights and what seems to be an updated rear bumper.

Much of the Niro EV’s motor and battery specs are still under wraps and what we have to go on are rumors suggesting that the NIro may borrow its powertrain from the Ioniq Electric. If so, we could see a 118 hp electric motor developing 218 lb-ft of torque. A 28 kWh battery delivers an EPA-estimated range of 124 miles, thought mileage will vary with a different frame.

But it was spotted testing alongside the Kona EV, a model which is expected to travel in excess of 240 miles on a single charge. If the Niro Ev was using its Hyundai sibling as a benchmark, then we may see a similar range in it as well.

More information should come when the NIro EV debuts early next year. One thing is for sure, the test driver was not happy with Motor1’s photographer when the above picture was taken.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 09:01 AM

With a range of just 124 miles, I doubt many people will go for it. Range anxiety will prevent me from buying a full electric Niro unless its range is on par with what The Bolt and Tesla has to offer.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuron View Post
With a range of just 124 miles, I doubt many people will go for it. Range anxiety will prevent me from buying a full electric Niro unless its range is on par with what The Bolt and Tesla has to offer.
Not true at all because when you consider how many mile people travel every day then the 124 miles doesn't seem so bad after all, actually instead its more than what most people need. The real issue will be when it comes to long distance driving, which for that you can always rent.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Not true at all because when you consider how many mile people travel every day then the 124 miles doesn't seem so bad after all, actually instead its more than what most people need. The real issue will be when it comes to long distance driving, which for that you can always rent.
For a daily commute, 124 miles is fine for me. But when I factor in my son's soccer 3-4 days a week on top of the daily commute and I will be pushing the limits. I shouldn't need another vehicle now for (cross my fingers) 8+ years, so I'm hoping by then the range will be up to 300+ miles. Then I can consider an EV.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 12:36 PM

124 miles is not the best number for any electric vehicle these days. I would only consider 200+ miles, even though I don't travel such long distances. Also, I heard a fact about the battery life, that after a few years it starts to decrease significantly.

P.S.: Seems like the driver wasn't really happy about the photographer taking pictures of his car LOL
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 08:48 PM

While that?s true for daily commutes, people use their car for much more than that. Trips, visiting friends/family, going to concerts/shows. If you?re a 2 car household that may be fine (but even then people don?t love the idea). Agree that 200 miles is most people?s minimum.

And renting a car? That?s a PITA. I bought my Niro after my last car was totaled. At both pickup and drop off at two (different) local rental shops I had to wait around around half an hour to be duly helped. The places are overloaded at least around here. Not a fun thing to be doing hen you?re trying to head out for trip because your $30,000 vehicle can?t go much over 100 miles.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Run View Post
P.S.: Seems like the driver wasn't really happy about the photographer taking pictures of his car LOL

LMAO barely saw that.

If the Republicans get rid of the tax credit the Niro EV might bomb.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 09:59 AM

Lol, he's flipping the bird and they say it's not the first time that test driver has done that.
Here they are stuck in traffic together and it looks like the electric cars are sporting some exclusive alloy wheel designs.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredct View Post
While that?s true for daily commutes, people use their car for much more than that. Trips, visiting friends/family, going to concerts/shows. If you?re a 2 car household that may be fine (but even then people don?t love the idea). Agree that 200 miles is most people?s minimum.
That's probably the best way to have an EV in your garage, to have it as the second car. Anyways, I'm not planning to get an EV any time soon, so maybe I'll wait till Niro EV gets 500miles+

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page