Kia Niro EV Concept Makes An Entrance At CES - Kia Niro Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Kia Niro News
  • 1 Post By PAULRIDES

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Kia Niro EV Concept Makes An Entrance At CES

The 2018 International Consumer Electronics Show is underway and Kia has put their best foot forward with their much anticipated Niro EV concept
. Dr. Woong-chul Yang, Vice Chairman and Head of Kia R&D Center, gave us a preview of what’s to come in the production model during his presentation yesterday.

Dreamed up by those employed at Kia’s design studio in South Korea, the Niro EV features an unexpected exterior design. Perhaps the production model will look like the two other Niro variants already on sale, or it could take on some of the concept’s design elements. Maybe the EV will be missing a grille as engine cooling is no longer necessary, though we doubt it’ll be replaced by an interactive display panel showing messages.

Design aside, what really stood out to us in his presentation was the Niro Ev’s performance. Sporting a 201 hp (150 kW) electric motor that’s powered by a high-capacity 64 kWh lithium-polymer battery pack, the concept has an estimated driving range of 238 miles. What’s more, in just 30 minutes it can charge more than 150 miles of range. That’s more range than what the standard Tesla Model 3 offers.

“‘Boundless for all’ is Kia’s future vision – where everyone has the opportunity to enjoy the infinite value that future mobility will bring”, said Yang. From what we’ve seen in their press release, the Niro EV is certainly a step in the right direction.
eddarrah likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 07:57 PM

Maybe for a second car if I did a lot of driving to and from work.

I would not want something could not take a trip in and have to worry about where to charge it.
Scrutch76 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 11:16 AM

238 miles is actually enough for most of my needs, even for the odd trip to the cottage or ski resort. Anything farther and I just take a plane for convenience and speed.
Problem is, will Kia really deliver the concept's mileage or something under that.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 01:44 PM

I don't think there is any issue at all with its range when looking at its competitors, its pretty reasonable. At this point however its a concept, as is its estimated mileage. Am I the only one who thinks that hood design is a little off however? The angle of that picture really makes the front end look amphibian.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 06:47 PM

Youíre right! Thatís mostly bc the bumps at the lights make them look like frog eyes. Doubt that sort of styling would make it to market.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredct View Post
Youíre right! Thatís mostly bc the bumps at the lights make them look like frog eyes. Doubt that sort of styling would make it to market.
The Leaf did.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredct View Post
The Leaf did.
The Leaf is nowhere near that funky looking.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 05:48 PM

I think there is plenty of room here for argument about which car is uglier and how such cars make it to market. Let's see, there are lots more examples: 2016 plus Prius, Leaf, Aztec, Juke, Multipla, Mirai. In fact, the Japanese makers seem to be deliberately to make many recent models ugly. Even the Civic. Big gaping maw on many cars, no way will those be considered timeless and beautiful in years to come.

Of course, they make the pedestrian Niro look lovely!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 01:46 PM

I suppose that's the risk they always take when they attempt to do something unconventional with styling, either it will be widely appreciate or it wont. A lot of new cars are using creative styling to isolate themselves in competitive segments such as the new Hyundai Kona crossover. There is no arguing that it has a quirky look, whether or not that will translate to successful sales is yet to be determined.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 10:25 AM

I'd be able to overlook a less than appealing front end if they had the range to back it up, but that's not the case in some and I may as well go with a decent looking Niro with 200+ mile range than a hideous monstrosity with less range.

One problem i do see is how much the battery sticks out from the bottom, unless that's just a random piece of camo.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page