Kia Niro at Chicago Auto Show - Kia Niro Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Kia Niro at Chicago Auto Show

Jodi Lai on the Kia Niro.

Looks more like a hatchback than a crossover, to me at least. Looking forward to seeing one in person.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 08:35 PM

Great first look at the Niro and from this video alone I can tell that red is going to be one of my favorite colors. Just have to wait to see it in person for final decision.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 04:47 PM

Short but informative. The coast and acceleration signals for the driver sound interesting. I like that it isn't designed to look like a battery and scream hybrid. I just want a normal car that happens to be a hybrid.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 12:03 PM

It will be interesting to see how this low profile Hybrid styling goes in comparison to the other Korean brand, Hyundai which takes a different approach, going for more in your face hybrid styling. I think there's a greater portion of people that want to let it be known their in a hybrid.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 11:00 AM

Just watched the video and have one question; how does it coach drivers on when to brake and when to coast? Does a signal light turn on? Or is this automatic?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 12:48 PM

Found one video of it at the Geneva show for anyone interested. Helps to see how blue looks through high quality video like this..

giorgetto likes this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 11:17 AM

The blue keeps shifting depending on the lighting from a darker shade to a lighter one.
giorgetto likes this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 11:34 AM

Well the same goes for most colors, the best thing is to see them in person but about 50% of you deciding on which color you want can come form just seeing it through online media like what we're seeing here.
giorgetto likes this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 10:22 AM

That red in the video doesn't seem to have much metallic in it, which is a bummer. Offering a DCT is quite risky on Kia's part as DCT has not been well accepted by the public (just read about the DCT's in the Ford Fiesta/Focus). Needless to say I will be taking one on an extended test drive or even renting one for a weekend to make sure the transmission is not jerky at ALL points.

With just a 1.6L a CVT would have been a better choice since the engine size is small which means it won't be offering as much torque anyway (leave that up to the electric motor). A CVT allows for a much wider gear ratio spread to help out on the highway. It may come across that I'm putting the car down, which I am not, I'm all for more hybrid/electric crossovers as competition brings innovation. I am actually looking at a Ford C-Max hybrid right now but I can wait a few more months to see how the Niro drives.

I am sure the Niro will hit 50MPG without any issue in the real world, I mean, the C-Max Hybrid's are hitting 50-65MPG in real world driving. It's all in the way you drive it and that'll come with time.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 06:59 PM

Even after that test drive it might be a gamble since you don't know how it will perform throughout the break in period and even after that. For all we know 1/2 way through the break in we might notice some issues others have talked about with other models. My rule of thumb is to wait at least 6 months before making a move.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page