Niro vs Ioniq - Page 2 - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 10:22 AM

Pretty much comes down to personal preference: Style & Appearance, Comfort for person use (seating, getting in and out, interior arrangement), and Warranty.

I never looked at the IONIQ, just had an interest in the NIRO that developed into a quick buy in FEB of 2017.

Don't like the style of the IONIQ (again that's a personal preference and no reflection on what others may like). Mechanically, suspect one as good as the other but warranty is better on the IONIQ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 01:12 AM

I test drove the Niro back to back with the Ioniq finally, and I have to say both cars are very impressive. Personally I like the Ioniq better because of the better fuel economy, warranty, and styling. However I have to say I walked away from the Niro very impressed as well.

I think personal preference will dictate which one the buyer chooses, but if the buyer is after good fuel economy, both vehicles are very good options.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 06:56 AM

Does the Niro has better cargo space than the Ioniq?
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 11:16 AM

More useable shaped space. On paper they are very similar.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodater View Post
I looked at the Ioniq before purchasing the Niro. I really didn't like how you had to look through a split window in the rear view. And I was surprised how the extra couple of inches you sit higher in the Niro made all the difference between sliding in and out of the Niro vs. falling into and pulling myself out of the Ioniq.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Niro View Post
I looked at the Ioniq before purchasing the Niro. I really didn't like how you had to look through a split window in the rear view. And I was surprised how the extra couple of inches you sit higher in the Niro made all the difference between sliding in and out of the Niro vs. falling into and pulling myself out of the Ioniq.
My thoughts exactly. Those two issues were why I bought the Niro instead of the Ioniq. I really hated that 5 inch white band breaking up the rear window. Totally unacceptable to me. I understand that is also in the Prius. Cannot understand why anyone would buy a car with that blockage. Frankly, I'm surprised it passes regulatory safety standards.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodater View Post
I think the Niro has more usable space because it is a boxier shape. But on paper, the reviews all said the Ioniq had more cubic feet; significant, but I forget how much.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 11:25 AM

I prefer the flat load bay of the Niro as I have a heavy wheelchair to drag in and out of the trunk. It might have less usable space than the Ioniq, but it's enough for me. If I need more, I can fold the seats down.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 06:53 PM

Saw a Ionic for the first time on the road. it looks like a Hyundai Sonata from the front and a Toyota Prius from the back. It was much more hatchback car looking. We pulled along side and it was easy to see that the Niro was taller and road higher. I think the platforms are nearly identical, so operation will be very similar. the Ionic looks to be more aerodynamic, so I expect that it will get a few MPG better. Basically if your looking for car styling go Ionic if you want more of the compact crossover go Niro. Although our Niro looks much more like a VW Golf Plus than it a true crossover.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
I prefer the flat load bay of the Niro as I have a heavy wheelchair to drag in and out of the trunk. It might have less usable space than the Ioniq, but it's enough for me. If I need more, I can fold the seats down.
Yes, by the numbers the Ioniq has more cargo space. 23.8 cu ft vs the Niros 19.something. The Prius has a tad more than the Ioniq at I think 25.4?

However, I bought the Niro for cargo space, because I think the usable cargo space on the Ioniq and Prius are less. It's angular, so I feel it limits how many boxes/suitcases you can fit. Plus, in the Prius and Ioniq, you very quickly begin blocking the lower part of the rear window (I agree with others who did not like the split rear window in either, although I found it especially limiting in the Ioniq, which I otherwise liked more than the Prius).

I took measurements and mentally did up things on how to fit various suitcases and other things into the Niro vs others and felt that i had a better space with the Niro. Or at least the same but more passenger space. If I didn't have a kid I probably would have ended up with the Ioniq.

If you *really* want space though, the Prius V is the way to go. You lose some more mileage, but get a mini-van of space in a wagon looking thing. Some of it's tech is out of date though (unless you spend through the nose) which is why I didn't go for it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page