Ford Discontinues C-MAX and Toyota Discontinues Prius-V - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

Ford Discontinues C-MAX and Toyota Discontinues Prius-V

So basically the 2 cars that the Niro was going against are now being discontinued. Does this basically mean there isn't a demand for a small CUV that isn't all-wheel drive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 10:13 AM

The Prius V wasn't a CUV. Rather it was distinctly wagonish, which is out of favor. Rumor has it (take that for what it's worth) that for 2019 will replace it with a more CUV-like version of the Prius. We'll see.

The C-Max was more of a hatchback, but seem to trail the competitors (Prius, Ioniq, Niro) in basically all stats - cargo space, mileage, etc.

Hopefully this will mean more Niro sales :-)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

I think the Niro has a smaller trunk space We are talking 19.4 (seats up) 53.5 (seats down) vs 24.5 and 52.6 on the CMAX. So trunk space with the seats don't is a tad larger, but much smaller with them up.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 08:10 PM

[QUOTE=fredct;33241]The Prius V wasn't a CUV. Rather it was distinctly wagonish, which is out of favor. Rumor has it (take that for what it's worth) that for 2019 will replace it with a more CUV-like version of the Prius. We'll see.

Here's an article about the end of Prius V. Pretty funny.

Toyota Axes the Prius V in the U.S. - The Drive

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie411 View Post
I think the Niro has a smaller trunk space We are talking 19.4 (seats up) 53.5 (seats down) vs 24.5 and 52.6 on the CMAX. So trunk space with the seats don't is a tad larger, but much smaller with them up.
Well, i really meant versus the other hatchbacks - Ioniq/Prius, although I looked and really it's about the same. Except for the V, which was basically a minivan/SUV for trunk space.

So the C-Max got the mileage of a Prius V, with the trunk space of a regular Prius/Ioniq. I must note that I never saw the C-Max in person... I happened to see my first one ever on the road today!

P.S. After looking at the Prius, Ioniq, and Niro (and Prius V, but not relevant for this sentence) in person, I don't think it's fair to compare cargo specs between hatchbacks and crossovers. The hatchbacks have angular space with lots of corners and even small amounts of cargo will very quickly start to block the back window. And due to all the angular spaces you can only fit so many boxes/suitcases. Or at least that's what I told myself to justify getting the Niro ;-)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie411 View Post
So basically the 2 cars that the Niro was going against are now being discontinued. Does this basically mean there isn't a demand for a small CUV that isn't all-wheel drive?
It may also means that Toyota and Ford made a research and understand that this market is slowly dying. But for real, I think it's just a way to clear the path for the new upcoming models that we're going to see soon.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2017, 01:41 PM

I guess people are not that interested in hybrids now with the cheap gas prices? If this is the case then Hyundai and Kia released their products (Ioniq and Niro) at a bad time
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2017, 03:55 PM

I hate to say it, but we really need $4 a gallon gasoline in order for the auto manufacturers to finally make hybrid vehicles affordable and available.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2017, 05:03 PM

at $4.00/gal the price for hybrids would go up because demand would go up
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 12:02 PM

I think it's a matter of time until the hybrids cost the same as gasoline ones. Not sure which model, but BMW did that with one of their hybrids so it cost the same as a full gas variant.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page