Toyota Prius V vs. Kia Niro - Page 2 - Kia Niro Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 10:11 PM

I rented a new Prius V on my last business trip, drove it for a week. A few days later I sat in a Niro at the local dealership, couldn't drive it. I'd give the Prius 3/5. Not exciting to drive for sure. Big ass blind spot that I couldn't adjust the mirrors to cover. Decent room for people and suitcases. I think the Niro has more comfortable seats and ergonomics. Like the look and feel of Niro. Your mileage may vary.
Scrutch76 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 07:09 PM

I've test driven all these and the Prius V is louder if you don't mind; more so than the Prius. Prius V bigger perhaps but do you like the style, interior, sound, etc.? It does have the reliability but the Kia does have a 10 year warranty even on the battery (at least this is what I have been told). If you plan on keeping the car that long, that may be a consideration and resale not an issue. If this first year Niro is a flop, well....we all know what that means for resale. Niro was a quiet ride. Test drove FE today but will be testing the Touring this week with the larger wheels. NOTE: Any reliable crash test results yet on the Niro?

The Prius does have nice handling, etc. but you either like the looks or not. No vehicle is perfect; depends on what you are purchasing the car for and what your needs are.

Don't overlook the new Hyundai Ioniq coming out end of this year. You may want to hold out for that. It has nice styling and could be competition for Prius but again, no history yet.

The Niro is different in that it is trying to appeal to the crossover market which is a hot segment now. Each has their own niche and will appeal to different people for different reasons.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 03:12 AM

I was in between the regular prius and the Niro. I ultimately preferred the interior layout more in the niro, like the dash being behind the wheel versus in the center like the prius has. Also liked that the Niro has apple car play. I also didn't like that the toyota service interval was every 5k vs every 7500 for the Niro. Oddly in Europe the service interval is 10k for the Niro from what I've read. Also the Prius is just uglier than the Niro.

The Ioniq has less rear legroom and it's why I decided against it. The interior space in the regular prius was actually pretty good.

Prius V headroom front 39.6; rear 38.6
Prius V legroom front 41.3; rear 35.9

Niro Headroom front 40.1; rear 39.1
Niro Legroom front 41.7; rear 37.4

European Crash Test:
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 05:07 PM

I test drove a prius V and was impressed with the room. However, that 2" of extra height made putting the paddle board on it just that much worse! I like the upright seating of the Niro much better, and the Niro has much better ground clearance! I'm thinking mileage is pretty much the same....the Touring Niro I got....netted me 42.77mpg that's for 422 miles hand calculated with the racks on and a 14 foot paddle board on the whole time. Avg speed for that tank was 30 mph.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050501.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	256.8 KB
ID:	689  
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 08:18 PM

I hate the CVT of the Prius and a number of other cars -
the Niro 6 speed (auto) transmission is much better in my mind.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page