Ford C-Max vs. Kia Niro - Page 2 - Kia Niro Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 02:39 PM

My brother has about a 4 yr.old C-Max bought new. He still likes it. My impression having ridden in it, the comfort is good, but I absolutely can't stand the design. They tried an "edgy" design, with jagged numbers, and a small tunnel for the speedo cluster, like it was a sports sedan. The vents are layed out weird, and the dash controls are curved away from driver. Also the display is above the dash top. I couldn't have one for that reason alone. I like a simple layout, which the Niro has. I also don't like the CVT, which I've had in rental cars.
The C-Max does have quite a bit more HP, at a cost of MPG. But interestingly the Niro has more max torque, at a lower RPM. I think that must be the Sport mode.
My brother did get a super deal on the C-Max, it was after the fallout from the terrible SYNC system. The Kia system is one of the better ones out there, so another reason for me because I'm not a tech geek- it has to work. I remember him saying he was getting ~42/43MPG.
The outside is too snubish looking for me, like between a tall mini van and a wagon. Of course some people think the Niro looks kind of guppyish, but I like the more wagonlike shape. At least theyre both not Prius cheese-wedge or new Buck Rodgers styling.
Another big selling point to me over C-Max was a much better/longer warranty.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 08:15 PM

Well the C-Max is discontinued (along with most other Ford cars) so the point is soon to be moot unless we are talking used. Certainly the rough shape was appealing to me as a PT Cruiser owner, but I never so much as bothered looking inside one. Ford's underperformance on the EPA ratings turned me off. So the Niro was super appealing when it came along.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 06:30 PM

May the C-Max rest in peace. I never hated my leased one, but as soon as I found that Ford was bailing on it, I was out. I wouldn't even consider a used one. The platform is based on the EU diesel model and parts may start to cost down the road as US supplies dwindle. Since I never tracked my C-Max with Fuelly and finding the Niro onboard computer to be off by 3-4 gallons my CM probly only averaged 40 ish mpg...with the onboard comp saying 43 mpg over 2 years. I just filled up my Niro Touring after a hilly road trip up the coast from LA to Santa Ynez valley, and I got 44.2 on Fuelly ... not shabby and the Touring really earns its name on a trip like this...smooth, quiet and has enough punch (tho not as peppy as the C-Max) to get around traffic issues as they come up. This factor is definitely better than the Ford was. There are some things I miss though...I liked the foot swipe option to open the back hatch and the body proximity lock and hand swipe of the inside door handles was cool too. Considering the wheelbase isn't much different the CM was a bit buckboard like and I'd say harsh over bumps. They have 17" alloys and decent tires compared to my Touring 18" which shouldn't be that big a deal so I think it comes down to the superior Niro suspension.

2018 Niro Touring "Rich Espresso"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 12:55 AM

For model year 2013 with 12 million miles reported, Fuelly says average mpg is 39. It looks like high 40's is possible for little old lady driving. Maybe I should have taken it more seriously and considered buying one back in the day.

If you live in a four season area that would benefit from winter tires, consider buying 16" wheels for the other three seasons. Big improvement in comfort and mpg (lower replacement cost too). Small loss in handling and braking but this is not a sports car.

Perhaps not if you live in LA. But consider 16" anyway. Should be easy to sell your 18" wheels.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
For model year 2013 with 12 million miles reported, Fuelly says average mpg is 39. It looks like high 40's is possible for little old lady driving. Maybe I should have taken it more seriously and considered buying one back in the day.

If you live in a four season area that would benefit from winter tires, consider buying 16" wheels for the other three seasons. Big improvement in comfort and mpg (lower replacement cost too). Small loss in handling and braking but this is not a sports car.

Perhaps not if you live in LA. But consider 16" anyway. Should be easy to sell your 18" wheels.
39 seems correct for the C-Max...still better than some early Prius owners I know. They tell me they actually only get mid 30's on their old P-Dawgs. The 18's on my Touring stay since it's a lease, and I like the way they look and feel anyway. My Niro mpgs are much improved over the Ford and those Prius owner friends. At the end of this lease I'll see where KIA is at in the development curve and decide if I stay in the game. A good friend just got himself a PHEV Niro so I'll have some real world stats to watch closely. Happy to say he was impressed enough with my Touring that he pulled the trigger.

2018 Niro Touring "Rich Espresso"

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page