Ford C-Max vs. Kia Niro - Kia Niro Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Ford C-Max vs. Kia Niro

The Niro is almost spot-on the same size as the failed Ford C-Max, which couldn't find enough buyers because it looks a minivan/wagon with unremarkable MPG. I wonder if the Niro's crossover styling will be the key to sales success...

Kia Niro
Wheelbase (est.) 106.3 in.
Length (est.) 171.5 in.
Width (est.) 70.9 in.
Height (est.) 60.4 in.

Ford C-Max wagon / minivan / MPV
Wheelbase 104.3 in.
Length 173.6 in.
Width 72 in.
Height 63.9 in.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 11:14 AM

I think the C-Max just came at the wrong time and just didn't appeal to anyone much since you could just get a CUV which is just as good.

Now there seems to be a growing trend of vehicles proportioned like this, I have a feeling Kia will have good luck. They're typically good with getting in on industry trends when the time is right.
giorgetto likes this.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 04:37 PM

That car is very dated. Looks like the design is from last decade in stead of this one.

Both Kia and Ford went with such a non-offensive and conservative design but Kia's feels new while the Ford looks a bit department store.

giorgetto likes this.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 12:09 PM

Failed because it was a van and the non hybrid crossovers in 2013-2014 had pretty good mpg numbers so why pay more for a hybrid? Also, they had that problem with the mpg rating and people complained and filed lawsuits because Ford overstated it.
The Kia Niro looks better and it's expected to hit 50 mpg combined fuel economy rating.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 06:01 PM

Well the C-Max came out a while ago, if anything its near the end of its cycle, so it's expected to look dated. Kia just showed off the Niro.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 11:46 AM

Still, you're comparing a hybrid van to a crossover. If you're going to do that, may as well use the 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid as a more recent model.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 07:58 PM

I just test drove the Niro today and was impressed. I've been driving a C-Max for the past 4 years and love it. I'm in the market for a new car and the Niro is on my short list. I'm impressed with the near 50 MPG on the Niro. I average only 43 MPG year over year with my C-Max. The one thing I'll say regarding my test drive was the slow acceleration in the Niro. With only 139 hp combined it wasn't nearly as spunky as the C-Max which has 188 hp combined. I did like the 6-speed transmission. The jury is still out for me. I'll wait to see what people experience before I consider buying.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 12:01 PM
Jay

I'm hoping the Niro and Ioniq are both as unpopular as the 4th gen Prius that sits unloved and unwanted in Toyota dealerships with huge discounts on the hood. However, I don't think they will be. The Ioniq outperforms the Prius in everything and looks much better. The Niro has a more popular form factor with greater overall utility than the Prius and isn't that far down on FE.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
I'm hoping the Niro and Ioniq are both as unpopular as the 4th gen Prius that sits unloved and unwanted in Toyota dealerships with huge discounts on the hood. However, I don't think they will be. The Ioniq outperforms the Prius in everything and looks much better. The Niro has a more popular form factor with greater overall utility than the Prius and isn't that far down on FE.

ON top of that I heard Hyundai and Kia dealerships have great service. Last I recall Hyundai was working on further refining the dealership experience. Anyone who has dealt with vehicle problems before will know how important that experience is come time to get those issues resolved!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 12:11 PM

Garage
I see this is kind of an old thread.

I just recently went through the car buying experience and was in "EXTREME CAR RESEARCH" mode....when I finally figured out that a PHEV was what I wanted, I had it narrowed down to about 3-4 vehicle contenders, but the Niro and the C-Max were really my top two contenders.

It was the rumors of the C-Max being discontinued that made me take it "out of the running". It was a nice car, but I don't want to be paying through the nose for parts in 5 years if it comes to that. I would like a car is doing well and will be on the market for a while so that parts are readily available.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page