plug in - Kia Niro Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

plug in

Any idea when the plug in will be available?

Tax credit?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim wedlake View Post
Any idea when the plug in will be available?

Tax credit?

Thanks.
1. Q4, towards end of year, but i have a feeling it will be sold as 2018
2. Depends where you are in this great big world.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 12:29 PM

Plug in tax credit

The Niro plug-in federal tax credit will be $4,543. This is based on the 8.9 kWh battery, and federal tax guidelines for battery size, etc. State-by-state incentives will vary, but include $1,500 in CA/CT/MA/TN, $1,100 in NY/MD. SC and CO also have $incentives
hybrid angel likes this.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 03:41 PM

If it's going to be in Q4 towards the end of the year it'll have to be a 2018. Anything built after August is deemed a 2018 model isn't it?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 08:46 PM

Model year designation varies, not specific to Aug or Sept., etc. But rules say only can have one January 1st in the model year run some model years can be long. But, usually 3Q or 4Q on sale timing implies next year designation, so PHEV Niro with November on sale date will be 2018 model year.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
The Niro plug-in federal tax credit will be $4,543. This is based on the 8.9 kWh battery, and federal tax guidelines for battery size, etc. State-by-state incentives will vary, but include $1,500 in CA/CT/MA/TN, $1,100 in NY/MD. SC and CO also have $incentives
Interesting. Where did you get the 8.9 Kwh battery information [& I'm not being a wisea**]? Are there prototype/preproduction reviews somewhere? If so could you provide link[s]? I've read most, if not all, of the current Nero reviews which they all like the car except for the 6 speed dual clutch transmission/engine integration, which is also mention within this forum. It's a concern for me, but I do want a CUV and as a prior Kia Sportage owner, which I liked a lot, I'm hoping for owner reviews of the PHEV as soon as they are available.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 02:16 PM

It was in some press releases, including one at Car and Driver. If you google Niro PHEV, Car and Driver story shows up.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 12:19 PM

The plug-in Niro is apparently now being sold in S. Korea. A minor detail or two on it here;
2018 Kia Niro is coming with Hybrid, PHEV and BEV variants - Push EVs
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Any idea how much more the plug-in will cost? Thanks
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 06:21 PM

Niro Plug-in

I've came to this thread looking for more info on the plug-in, hoping someone had found some Korean pages or something. In my searching, I saw a reference to the Niro having been sold in Europe before the US, so I decided to check on the plugger.

Turns out the plug-ins apparently ARE being sold in Germany: {urls removed since I am too newbie -- search "Kia Niro Plug-in Hybrid - Kia Motors Deutschland"}

Google translate doesn't seem to garble it too horribly, though I admit to not getting too far in the machine-translated version since I read German easier than Googarble.

Comparable info for the regular Niro is at "Entdecken Sie den neuen Kia Niro - Kia Motors Deutschland"

There is also some good plug-in info in a "pressemappe" PDF, that answered my question about ground clearance: same 160mm as the regular Niro. I was concerned that with the larger and heavier batteries, or in search of better aerodynamics, Kia might configure the car with a little less "Bodenfreiheit."

I've come very close to buying the regular Niro, but backed off, wondering if I'd regret not waiting for the plug-in.

Those pages may be able to help with the pricing questions, if you can figure out the corresponding German 2018 HEV vs PHEV trims/options, correlate them to German 2017 trims/options/prices, compare those to US 2017 trims/options/prices, apply ratios and rules-of-thumb, and then go lie down for a while before deciding what you might have learned.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page