Kia Niro Forum banner
  • Welcome to the Kia Niro forum! We discuss all models of the Niro, including the Hybrid, PHEV and EV versions. We are glad you stopped by. Feel free to browse the various topics, along with out FAQs. To enable posting, you need to register for a user account. There is no cost for this. Just click in the upper right corner where it says Login/Join. We look forward to your continued parcipitation.

PHEV EX Premium

6K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Mal 
#1 ·
Looking at a PHEV EX Premium in Graphite with carpeted floor mats and no other options beyond the trim level. $35,975 MSRP, $32,477 listed price. Tried to get another dealer to come close on one with the sunroof and was soundly rebuffed. They could not get anywhere near that discount, they said. That seems weird to me. I was hoping to talk this dealer down to the listed price out the door after taxes and fees, but now think I am perhaps overly optimistic. Anyone have an idea of the bottom-line price I could expect to reach?

#2 ·
If you are dealing with one dealer you are totally at their mercy and will pay whatever they decide.

Why not turn the tables and use a car buying service like Costco or Edmonds new car buying service. They will tell you exactly what people are paying for these cars and then if you agree post your contact info and have dealers make bids to you to sell you the car.

I recommend Edmonds New car buying service and used this service to buy our Niro, but there are many other highly rated internet Car Buying services.I like you initially went to our local dealer to buy a Niro and was disappointed. They just refused to work with us on obtaining the exact PHEV Niro we wanted. They told us it was impossible to get a PHEV Niro in our region. Using the car buying service we got exactly the Niro we wanted at a great price at a dealer 60 miles away from us.

#3 ·
Shop around even out of state if you have to. I live in TN and drove to KY to the Kia Store in Louisville for my EX Premium PHEV w/ Sunroof pkg (MSRP $37k). I leased and they gave me a killer deal, they took a little over $3000 off MSRP and I got the $5680 Kia lease cash so my adjusted cap cost was $28320. I think they had the car since March so they were desperate to get rid of it.

#4 ·
That might be a little aggressive, depending on where you live and how big the taxes and fees are. A lot of people have described the price they paid on this forum page:https://www.kianiroforum.com/forum/...ers-leases/2009-price-paid-your-kia-niro.html

My own deal was an out-the-door cost that was a bit less than MSRP, which means the dealer paid some hefty taxes and fees. At least a few folks on that forum page seem to have done better than that.

Along the way, I visited two dealers and spoke to three others on the phone. I was very clear about what I was shopping for and what I was willing to pay. Two of the dealers I spoke with on the phone couldn't come close. My nearest dealer read me the wrong way and thought he could get away with jacking up the price to over 40k. Along about that time, my wife suggested Costco pricing, but that still wasn't close to the price I was willing to pay.

I wound up working with a dealer who was an hour away, and talking with a dealer on the phone who was three hours away. They both eventually agreed to my price, but it didn't happen over night. The whole process took about two weeks. Some people might find that kind of protracted negotiation to be stressful but in my case, it was mostly via e-mail, so it wasn't that stressful. I had the luxury of reading each e-mail and thinking about it for a few hours before responding. Note that the more senior sales people don't want to engage with you via e-mail for exactly this reason, but usually there's a younger salesperson who will, especially if you've already met them in person.

In retrospect, one mistake I made was that I didn't go back to the nearest dealer on a different day of the week. I have in mind that the sales manager who I had previously encountered there on a Sunday afternoon would have been easier to negotiate with than the sales manager who was there on a week day and tried to jack the price up.

Good luck!

#5 ·
Thanks for the input, everyone. Looks like they are offering a decent deal, assuming they will offer the lease incentive on it. Also looking at a Ford Fusion Energi that is a little cheaper and has a 9600 lease incentive, so I will probably see if they can get me close to that price overall. Can't find a dealer willing to do better than them, even having checked a couple out of state, so it seems they run a pretty fair price.

#7 ·
Take a close look at the trunk of the Energi. The battery really messes with the available storage space. I gave thought to the C-Max, but it's even worse for space. And forget about a flat storage space in either of them. The Niro PHEV still has a nice flat rear area, and with the seats folded down it's quite large.

#9 ·
That’s not true, it goes to the leasing company so in the case of a Kia it goes to Kia Motors Finance, however KMF passes the credit on to the consumer in the form of lease cash that goes towards reducing the adjusted cap cost of the car. In fact the lease cash for the Niro PHEV is more than the federal tax credit on a purchase so you’ll get a deeper discount by leasing right now than you would to buy it outright.

#16 · (Edited)
I suspect that was the 2000 or so I got discounted with the lease. I should have said more like , "not me". Pricing is way too funky so I deal out the door. Usually that has meant close to 20% less than MSRP and includes all the cats and dogs like transportation, dealer prep, tax, license, processing and so on. I let them do the math in reverse for their accounting.

I try not to play their games and stay willing to walk. Their profit is so well hidden these days that invoice and MSRP mean very little.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.