20year\200000 mile limited powertrain warranty - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

20year\200000 mile limited powertrain warranty

Hello Everyone...

I haven't bought my Niro as of yet. I am in the process of searching for my best deal and I came across a dealership that offers a 20yr/200000mi limited powertrain warranty. This dealership is about 1hr away from where i live. The Kia dealerships around me offer 10yr/100000mi power train warranty. I find it interesting that this particular dealership can double what everyone else offers. The prices of the Niros are comparable to the local dealers around me. Just wondering what everyones thought on this? Should i drive the extra miles to take advantage of the extra protection?
I can't post a link because im a newb. elkgrovekia.com/20-year-warranty/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
If you expect to keep the car for more than 100,000 miles or 10 years, then yes it's worth consideration, all other things being equal. Just make sure that the addition time/mileage covers what is important. Check the fine print!

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 06:10 PM

More and more dealers around my area offer lifetime/unlimited mi. warranty. They just get a deal from a third party warranty Co. to do it. Most people don't keep their cars that long so I bet the warranty hardly ever gets used. Don't forget, it's power train only. Basically the ICE and transmission, no hybrid components or electronics. It was a factor for me I got my Niro from a dealer 20mi. further away because they offered the lifetime warranty and free oil changes for as long as you own the car.

Gene Daytona Beach Beach, Fl.
2018 Kia Niro LX 7/11/18-
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 09:48 PM

As others have suggested, I assume that they are gambling that most buyers won't keep the car long enough to take advantage of the warranty. I imagine that they are enlisting a third-party insurance company to provide the actual warranty, and you do have to wonder if there might be some fine print that would relieve this dealer of their obligation if that third-party company goes out of business in the interim.

I didn't see anything on the website to indicate if the warranty was transferable or not. Most new car warranties from the manufacturer are transferable to a second owner, which can increase your resale value, although Kia imposes some limitations on the warranty that they will extend to a second owner.

And as FlNiro pointed out, no coverage for the battery or other hybrid components. Those are the components that I think about most when I wonder if I will keep my Niro for the long haul or not.

But with all that said, if you do think you're going to keep the car for more than 10 years/100k miles, there's a potential advantage. Just think twice or three times before you let it persuade you to do business with this particular dealer if there's another dealer in your area who could give you a much better price for the same car.

2018 Niro PHEV Gravity Blue
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 10:48 PM

Garage
A dealership here wanted a lot more money, but offered a lifetime powertrain warranty. Not to include hybrid components, which they consider part of electrical, rather than powertrain. I went a little farther away, only got Kia's warranty, and paid a lot less. Probably would have been persuaded to spend more if the extra warranty applied to hybrid parts of the powertrain.

Drew
2019 PHEV EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Thank you guys for your input. I did not know the hybrid components would not be part of the powertrain warranty. My commute is 120 miles a day so it might still be worth my time. Thanks again!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 05:15 PM

Definitely good for Uber drivers! But I suppose the fine print means they are not eligible. I think most hybrid battery issues will happen first 100,000 miles (Hyundai has a lifetime battery warranty but it is effectively identical to Kia); but clutch (all three), transmission, and engine issues could happen after 100K. I wouldn't pay extra for such a warranty though, so if total price is higher than another dealer, I wouldn't do it. Not worth even $100 in my estimation.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page