• 1 Post By PAULRIDES
  • 1 Post By realto
  • 1 Post By yticolev
  • 1 Post By PAULRIDES
  • 1 Post By TheSilverFlash

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

My 19,718 mile Summary on 2017 EX with Sunroof Pkg

Overall I like the car (19, 718 miles now) at 51.2MPG AVE per Fuelly. Account name is "Our Niro" if anyone wants to check Fuelly.

I like the car but the surging, jerking (whatever you call it) is aggravating. Our car does not show extreme symptoms, but it is noticeable when I does it (sometimes more noticeable than other times). Most of the time it is not noticed.

Also, seems the temperature control and radio operation is erratic: Temperature heat and air works, just does not seem to respond correctly (fan speed using AUTO can be low or high and does not seem to be where needed - have to vary it manually - I don't know how to describe it all, jut does not seem to be normal). Radio does crazy things also, (turns radio on by itself, usually all we do is USB music and sometimes end up with radio and have a time getting back to USB -- pull the USB out and plug it back in resets it).

Considering the recalls (glad at least they do them), I restate what I always use to say, 'Don't buy a new Model anything."

Ours was the first to hit the Dealers lot (bought FEB 2017 as EX Model with the Sunroof PKG) and to top it off I did not negotiate a hard as normal (got a $2000 discount - think final price was $27,999 plus taxes, etc. and decent average price for my 2010 Rogue).

Not a smart deal except I like the car (size, looks, MPG, driving it).
Dovidan likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 01:10 PM

I've got roughly 3500 miles on my 2018 Touring edition and I have to say there are a few things I wish they would straighten out. It seems like there should be some modifications they can make with the transmission jerking. The only remedy I find for that is to use sport mode. It also seems odd not to have a RPM gauge if you are shifting. I know MPG suffers from having the larger wheels but I have never got the 45 mpg that was specified for this model. It always ends up at 40-42 MPG no matter how I drive the car.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 08:45 AM

Paul- I have the 2017 LX with @17k miles. I agree on the Auto heat/AC- don't like it. I don't like the 'algorythm' it uses to heat you up- nothing for a bit, then blasts it out the defrost, then eventually at the feet. If you don't go into Auto mode when asking for heat after first starting, ie. when engine is still cold, it keeps blinking for you to put in Auto. The only way to overide is to press the blower zone button at far right and toggle to feet or feet/body. At least it stops flashing Auto when the car warms up a bit. And the Sync/zone thing I've always thought ridiculous-different temp zones for two feet away? Like Jerry Seinfeld said, how does it know the air molecules aren't commingling? lol.
As far as the jerk/surging, I rarely get it, but do occasionally. From a stop the surge is solved by pausing for a moment before accelerating, to let the clutch engage properly.
Radio is the default mode. You have to select AndroidAuto or ApplePlay with the USB in for it to start. I think there's a way to select from phone app to make it go auto into AA/AP when plugged in, or not. Dont know how it's done, but it changed on mine when I deleted and reinstalled AA app.
I always had the 1st year model rule too, but at the time I needed a car soon, found the price as low or lower as other models I looked at, Honda HRV, Mazda 3/5, Camry, Escape, even Civic with a few options added. But I liked the Niro interior/layout/ride/MPG better. $k's less than most hybrids too. The kicker was the super long warranty. Also the ADA height seats are a blessing, esp. when going back in low reg sedan or super high SUV seats.
So, not perfect, but no car is. Altogether, glad I got it.
Lee Williams likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 10:03 AM

You can defeat some of the "auto" functions by disabling ADS - press and hold the front defrost button for a few seconds. Then on manual control, it will direct air flow where you set it. I find climate control unbelievably frustrating, but this fix does help one of the annoyances.
Lee Williams likes this.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

I did an EDMUNDS Review and copy / pasted as a new topic. I should have added to this older topic, but forgot I even started this Topic.

Anyway, add UPDATE to my initial review (for what it is worth).
2017 Kia Niro EX 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6AM)

EDMUND Review
So far no major issues with mine bought in Feb 2017 with 29,230 plus miles as of Aug, 2019. I discuss some annoying issues below in last paragraph.

For INFO -- it is a EX Model, Pearl White, Sunroof Pkg (not that I wanted sunroof, but came with some safety options I did want).

I like handling, steering, safety options that I have (missing some that are available on other models).

MPG remains just over 50MPG for our mostly county roads at 35 to 55 MPH and some city / town driving (30%). Mileage drops in cold weather and on Interstate at speeds of 70MPH to between 43 and 47 MPG.

Comment on Maintenance costs, costs would be high if took it to a dealer for everything NIRO recommends. I change my oil and probably don't follow all the stuff the NIRO Manual recommends the dealer do.

Comfort is fine except bothers my legs on long trips (say 1 1/2 hours get uncomfortable - I am 80 years old). I like the look, it is nice and roomy for the size it is, interior is OK, entertainment is OK (have had occasions of acting up like comes on by itself and can't get USB Music until remove and reinstall the USB card). I am not a real techie person - but Bluetooth works, and I manage to get thru all the gadgets and displays.

There are some issues I will note: NIRO FORUM discusses some serious issues: stutter or jerky operation (one guy got a new car). poor mpg, displays going crazy, door handles breaking off with plastic parts (door handle recall has been installed now).

I personally have occasional (change that to frequent as better word) stutter or jerky operation (enough to be annoying, but not so bad that I am complaining to NIRO) Also, recently I note an annoying noise I don't think I had when new (it is a bit like tire / road noise, but not sure it isn't something else, it is hard to describe a noise. Maybe, worse in rear seat.
Lee Williams likes this.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 08:52 AM

Location: Knoxville, TN (soon to be Elizabethton, TN) work in Asheville, NC
Garage
@PAULRIDES At 29,000 miles, you are overdue for the engine clutch actuator fluid change (due at 22,500 for pre-2019 Niros). I wonder if that would help ease any of the jerkiness? Also, if you are not using top tier gas, you'd probably benefit with a couple of cans of seafoam/techron fuel additives. I don't know if any or all of that will help your jerkiness, but certainly wouldn't hurt to try?

Also, I don't know if your EX has it or not, but I have the 10-way power adjustable seat and it has adjustable thigh support (by tilting the front part of the seat up and down) and I find that very helpful on long drives.
Lee Williams likes this.

Paul
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium Silky Silver
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT Soul Red

Last edited by TheSilverFlash; 08-15-2019 at 08:55 AM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Now I know where the reservoir is (not that anyone going to take it out as they do in this video).

My fluid looks pretty good at 30,000 plus miles.

That said, think I will do the method to suck it out and refill a couple times even though it seems ridiculous to need new fluid.

Noticed jerkiness from new (maybe notice it more now or just didn't notice with what was going on when it did it and ignored it). It's not extreme (like I said) and I put up with it.

Seat adjustment -- yes, I do play with adjustment (tilt included). Low to the floor seats are just not as comfortable as higher to the floor seats. Course, being 80 (81 coming in Sept) I imagine adds to the problem. We typically stop every 1 1/2 to 2 hours on a trip - so, it is not a big issue.

The most annoying hing to me now is the noise I hear (road noise or what ever it is), don't think I had that when newer.

My old (2205) Dodge Van with 100,000 plus is more comfortable and not s noisy as the NIRO. The VAN is used very little now (like truck use) as we use the NIRO or I ride my MC.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Update ---

I made Actuator Fluid comments in other topics, so not repeat that here except to say, " I did change it using the suck and refill method." Details I will not repeat as all ready did in other replies I made to topics on Actuator Fluid.

That said, I will add I used a Radiator Fluid Checker with narrow tube and last sucks were with tube near the bottom of reservoir at low point where hose is attached. The fluid in a pint jar has settled (few weeks) with a white film on bottom that I would say is 1/16 or less thick.

As far as the NOISY CAB (my major complaint now is the noise I hear when driving). It is likely Tire / Road Noise - I don't know.

However, a friend rode with me the other day. I asked him if he heard the noise. Yes, and he thinks it is Tire / Road noise. He thinks coming from left rear. Better ear than me LOL.

I sat in the back seat with wife driving and thought it was a bit more noisy in back, but not real sure.

ALL I KNOW is very irritating and never had a car so noisy in the cab using street tires (same ones it came with and now at 30,000 miles). Hard to describe a noise, but it's a bit of a roar with a low volume thumping that varies with speed. CAR WAS NOT THIS NOISY when we bought it in 2017, and my guess is I began hearing it some months ago.

ANYONE have a noisy cab (maybe suspected to be Tire / Road noise?).

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

I might add over all I like the car (especially like 50 + a little MPG, and handling), but the jerkiness, and the radio doing strange things is also aggravating.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 04:35 PM

My Niro is quieter than any other car I've owned. Still, I'd enjoy it even quieter. I bring along a mattress for naps and trips and have a down sleeping bag that fits the entire spare tire space (smaller now that I've modified the car). That probably helps.

So there is shift jerkiness (I don't see much of that), and general jerkiness. I must be more sensitive than most, but there is an ever so small speed variation when the motor is either the sole driver, or is adding torque to the engine. It is small, but I can feel it pulsing several times a second, enough for my weight to shift forward and back. Thought I was crazy for the first two weeks I owned the car, but it is there. Some sort of bad algorithm that is not quite fuzzy enough. Or perhaps the motor must constantly shift so it can measure the torque being applied? More noticeable at slow speeds, but I can detect it at highway speeds as well (less annoying over 50 mph). Doesn't occur if the engine is on and charging the battery while providing sole motive force. But when the motor starts discharging, I can feel it again. I figure there is no point in complaining to dealer as one, they may be unable to detect what I feel, and two, I feel sure there is no fix. I've never seen another such complaint on the Ioniq forum either.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page