howdy - Kia Niro Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

howdy

hi all, I'm new to hybrids, but very interested in the Niro (and the Ioniq). Looking forward to learning more about the Niro experience here.
Administrator likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 11:08 AM

Welcome --- FORUM is pretty good place to pick up tidbits.

My opinion is it depends a lot on your driving needs: 10000 miles a year like us it's probably not worth the saving when you figure the extra cost of buying, get up into the 20000 miles per year it makes more sense. Then there is the consideration of complexity and battery life with Hybrid. Also, a consideration of the performance you think you need (hot rod driver or sensible driver).

That said, I like my first Hybrid (NIRO EX Model), but around $29,800 out the door with taxes, etc. That was with a $2000 discount and what I thought was average trade for my NISSAN Rogue. Trade value is always a questionable thing when dealing with a car dealer.

PS1: I do believe with a bit more shopping and effort on my part I could have saved another $500 or $2000 (I usually do, but did not this time, I wanted the Pearl White EX on the lot as an early buy in FEB 2011. It was one of two on the lot). So, shop around and don't get in a hurry to buy as I did.

PS2: Also, if one just wants transportation in that size vehicle (but average of
28MPG VS 50+MPG), then can buy something for say $20,000.
hybrid angel likes this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 11:27 AM

my story is a lot like yours they had the car I wanted ,drove it liked it a lot ..I would love it if it didn't miss around 30 to 40 mph ..doesnt set off any sensors yet ...going to wait a while before going back to the dealer ...
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 12:46 AM

Welcome to the forums! What are you currently driving right now??
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
my story is a lot like yours they had the car I wanted ,drove it liked it a lot ..I would love it if it didn't miss around 30 to 40 mph ..doesnt set off any sensors yet ...going to wait a while before going back to the dealer ...
That seems to be an issue -- I don't know what it is (miss or what), but I feel something sometime (maybe at the same speed range). I have been more or less ignoring it as it is not earth shattering or a nuisance, but something is going on (don't know if it's a miss or what).

One guy on this FORUM that had intermittent Bad Symptoms was diagnosed as a miss and last I heard, KIA taking the car back and giving him a new one as they could not fix it.
hybrid angel likes this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos View Post
Welcome to the forums! What are you currently driving right now??
Thanks PAULRIDES and everyone for the welcome!

I have a Ford Focus, but between the time I created this account (waiting for the moderator approval) and this post being approved, I actually got the Hyundai Ioniq!!!

I'm still interested in the Kia Niro as I believe it might be better for my other family members...they need more room in the back to carry stuff, so it might be up their ally!

I'm loving the Ioniq, but I'm also intensely interested in the Niro because these two cars are so similar.
LA J likes this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 02:40 PM

Over Memorial Day weekend, I bought a Black Niro FE with 60 miles on it from a Kia dealer here in the LA area. The cash price was $20,745 not including any taxes, titles & fees. (I was told I got a $4,000 discount plus a $500 rebate from Kia which is how they ended up with this price.)

WARNING: Post continues with semi-embarassing details.

I was upside down $7,000 on my previous car loan but needed a Hybrid bad. Basically, I owed about $14,000 on it but the Kelly Blue Book value was only about $7,000 (Don't ask how that happened!)

Because of being upside down on my previous loan and therefore paying way more for the Niro loan than the car is actually worth, I purchased an additional warranty that included GAP insurance. (Not sure if this was necessary but sounded good.) That added $1,695 to the bill.

So, all in all, I paid $31,144.19. 6 year loan, 4.9% APR (not great credit - 645 score.)

Pretty high, I think, but the amount of driving I do and savings in gas will offset that.

Honestly, I wanted at least an EX model and would probably have preferred the plug-in that's about to come out but...this is good.

FYI I've had it for 5 days now and am averaging 50 MPG with a heavy foot. One trip, I averaged 73 MPG and others have landed around 65 MPG for local stuff. Higher MPG results require self control and patience and slow braking to a stop...so I gotta change.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by LA J; 06-01-2017 at 02:45 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA J View Post
Over Memorial Day weekend, I bought a Black Niro FE with 60 miles on it from a Kia dealer here in the LA area. The cash price was $20,745 not including any taxes, titles & fees. (I was told I got a $4,000 discount plus a $500 rebate from Kia which is how they ended up with this price.)

WARNING: Post continues with semi-embarassing details.

I was upside down $7,000 on my previous car loan but needed a Hybrid bad. Basically, I owed about $14,000 on it but the Kelly Blue Book value was only about $7,000 (Don't ask how that happened!)

Because of being upside down on my previous loan and therefore paying way more for the Niro loan than the car is actually worth, I purchased an additional warranty that included GAP insurance. (Not sure if this was necessary but sounded good.) That added $1,695 to the bill.

So, all in all, I paid $31,144.19. 6 year loan, 4.9% APR (not great credit - 645 score.)

Pretty high, I think, but the amount of driving I do and savings in gas will offset that.

Honestly, I wanted at least an EX model and would probably have preferred the plug-in that's about to come out but...this is good.

FYI I've had it for 5 days now and am averaging 50 MPG with a heavy foot. One trip, I averaged 73 MPG and others have landed around 65 MPG for local stuff. Higher MPG results require self control and patience and slow braking to a stop...so I gotta change.

Hope this helps.
Wow. sounds like you have an up and down car buying experience. Was your previous vehicle falling apart? It doesn't make any sense to trade in something that upside down.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 04:29 PM

Yeah, I know.

But I'm doing 2,000+ miles a month now so it will equal out when everything is factored.

Car payment + Gas + Maintenance = actually saving $ in the end as crazy as that sounds for being that upside down.

Not really an up and down car buying experience, just a lot of driving and depreciation on my previous vehicle...and soon to be on my current vehicle, that's for sure.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 06:54 PM

Enjoy your NIRO. Upside down appears to get expensive. I hope it all works out for you.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page