Upcoming Niro Owner - Kia Niro Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Upcoming Niro Owner

Hi everyone,

I'm currently negotiating with local dealers (and farther) on a new 2018 EX Premium using James Bragg's system. Hoping to snag one in my area for under invoice and then drive it cross country for a new next month. I was excited to find this forum and get a bunch of answers to questions I had about ownership and how people have experienced driving the car so far.
safari likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 07:36 AM

Good luck and let us know how you ended up doing with the dealers
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by olimpiaKIA View Post
Good luck and let us know how you ended up doing with the dealers
Will do! As we get closer to the 2019 release and dealer quarterly quotas it seems that $6000+ under MSRP is the dealer starting point on some models. I don't think it's out of the question to go maybe $2000+ under invoice at this point
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 09:48 AM

I got $3,000 off MRSP on an LX using Truecar.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
I got $3,000 off MRSP on an LX using Truecar.
The Graphite Touring EX package is up to $6000 off MSRP at some dealers, and the base EX up to $5000 MSRP. I'm looking at going under invoice (24800 for the base) at this point. TrueCar has given me pricing around 27000 for the base and you can do much better if you out in the time to have dealers compete.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 03:52 PM

Sounds great! Of course, the more you buy (higher trim), the more you save! But still more out of pocket.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

More out of pocket, definitely. I grew up in a household were the cars were expected to last 15, if not 20 years. I'm intending this one to be at least a decade old by the time I think it's right to move on and if you calculate cost against expected ownership time, a few thousand bucks extra becomes minuscule. The creature comforts you get by upgrading from EX (+tech for the safety features) to premium are something to think about if you're going to keep the car for a long time.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 08:58 PM

Besides being cheap, I just plain don't like many of the features of the higher trims. No to sun roofs, no to leather upholstery, no to rear radar. If I could add a la carte, there would be few things on my list. Ventilated seats (fabric of course), heated steering wheel, and possibly upgraded stereo. But those higher trims add weight, reduce headroom, or have luxury stuff I just find silly. I wouldn't have gotten the LX if I could have opted for the tech package in the FE!

But I don't begrudge those who want such stuff.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

I'm going to Big Sky country for at least a year and the sun roof will be amazing for it, but I do agree it's much of nothing overall. Wish I could negotiate it out. I'm assuming most of the reasoning for the packages Kia provides is for saving money by limiting customization. I watch CNBC's the Profit and a tiny house maker removed most customization options and that saved them two weeks per project plus increased their margins by a sizeable amount.

I'm definitely on board for the ventilated seats. Seems like something you don't realize was a great add until a hot day comes along and boom, you feel its worth. The leather seats are actually something I'd prefer over even the cloth combination ones. I have a dog with two coats who sheds and the leather (with a dog canopy + possible seat cover) makes the loose hairs immensely easier to deal with than cloath. Dog hair just sticks to everything cloath in a car. Some of the other stuff is also whatever as additions. I do think that the savings of going advanced technology over premium is nothing to balk at, but I'm probably making two 2300+ mile trips in the next year and putting 15000+ miles on the car in the next year. The premium features could make that more comfortable, and they could also make the long-term enjoyment of the ride more viable. All in all, the extra money comes out to something like $20-30/month for the life of the car and that to me personally is worth it. I'd never deride someone for choosing otherwise. I have the luxury of being able to afford it - at the right price.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 05:39 PM

Sunroofs are occasionally fun, but I have a lot of rants about them. They are heavy, take a couple inches of headroom, and historically can leak. They also harm aerodynamics and can cause wind noise. It is also astonishing how many deaths there are from ejection during rollover, so many that regulators are starting to take serious notice. I'd guess that most of them are from unbelted occupants, but it is still scary enough for me to avoid them completely. Those panoramic windowed roofs like those found on Tesla would seem especially dangerous on rollover from debris of shattered glass alone. Sunroofs are commonly tempered glass like side windows, not safety glass like windshields.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page