First Kia after 30 years with VW Diesels - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Talking First Kia after 30 years with VW Diesels

After returning my 2014 TDI back to VW it took me over two years to find a replacement.

After a lot of searching, research & test drives I stumbled, yes stumbled on the Niro which I knew nothing about. I had test driven a Niro almost others but the Niro was not offered to me for consideration, but after my first test drive, I had found a replacement for my VW diesels.

Now after 9 months with the car I love more & more. I have only put 10,000km's on it so far as I was out of the country for over a month so it sat waiting for my return.

I have had my first service, now I am looking forward to doing all of the rest of them myself. Do we really need to have an oil change every 6,000km's seems excessive to me The VW was 10,000miles & the Niro is not running as hard? Any advice on servicing myself
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 09:44 PM

And diesels require more frequent oil changes than gasoline engines!

I gather you are from Canada? As I understand it, performing your own maintenance can void your warranty. Very consumer unfriendly, and a prop to dealers performing unrealistically frequent services. I am not familiar with Canadian legal principles but it would seem to me performing your own service in an unrelated area such as changing oil would not void the warranty on say your radiator. It certainly does not in the US no matter who performs the service.

My own plans are to let Kia do the complementary first service at 8,000 miles this coming Monday with full synthetic O-20 oil, and do my own after that with probably 20,000 mile intervals with the best oil and filters (non-paper ones). I'm going to cut open the OEM filter that is removed on Monday to determine construction. If paper, I will replace just the filter at 16,000 miles.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 08:15 AM

we had an'09 jetta tdi loved it but couldn't turn down vw buyback price .The niro would be fine if it wouldn't jerk hesitate stutter .Hopefully the company can come up with a fix ..
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 07:29 PM

yticolev- 8k or 20k mile oil changes? Why? Seems that would void the warranty if they could prove you only changed your oil every 20k! You seem so technical otherwise, I'm wondering why you would have a ridiculous oil/filter change interval like that. Is it an eco thing?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 11:38 PM

I too was a VW TDI fan! In the family I had 3 Golfs, Passat Wagon, Beetle, and my last was the Sportwagen. Miss the Torque, but I admit sport mode pulls out into traffic nicely, and I'm getting better mileage even with my paddle board on the roof!!!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realto View Post
yticolev- 8k or 20k mile oil changes? Why? Seems that would void the warranty if they could prove you only changed your oil every 20k! You seem so technical otherwise, I'm wondering why you would have a ridiculous oil/filter change interval like that. Is it an eco thing?
Green, economical, and practical. 8,000 mile oil changes are ridiculous to those who believe in 2,000 mile intervals are best. Also to those who know that 8,000 mile intervals are way too short with superior oil and filters. It is certainly at my own risk, but I don't believe (obviously) that it will lead to engine failure. It hasn't anecdotally in my own experience in far higher stressed engines and driving over 250,000 miles before selling.

In the US, warranties are not voided by simply not following a maintenance schedule. It would have to be proved that failure to follow so is the proximate/direct cause of a failure that is otherwise covered by warranty. Not worried.

In the UK, the same car has significantly shorter change intervals. Why? Most likely to prop up dealerships with required maintenance. In the UK, you need a certified mechanic to change your oil, otherwise your entire warranty, like on the radiator, may be void. Silly indeed on both the interval and the certified mechanic!

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Oil Change intervals

My Kia dealership wanted to do the oil change at 6,000Km's. As it was a free one I let them do. I see that in the states it was 8,000 miles, big difference.
There are factors you have to consider in oil change frequency

1. Regular long or short trips - short trips will not give enough time to warm the oil up sufficiently to remove moisture
2. Location - dry or damp climate
3. Time of year

Another way would be to have your oil analyzed after say 6,000 miles. this way you could accurately see the mileage needed before you need to change your oil.

I am comfortable with 10,000KM's
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 07:03 PM

I did my first service yesterday. Stretched even that interval a bit (semi-purposely) of 7,500 miles to 8,200 miles - that's about 13,200 km!

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 12:43 PM

Anyone who really wants to do what's best for the engine should also physically look at the oil, along with following the recommended intervals. Once you mix those two then you'll be in the clear.
It's also why I like going to independent shops, they don't just follow the book but also apply very key fundamental practices.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page