Moved to the dark(?) side...from Toyota & Honda - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Moved to the dark(?) side...from Toyota & Honda

Hello everyone. This is my first Kia vehicle and I am quite excited. The combo of plug-in and hybrid, along with the crossover feel (higher than most cars but not as huge as most SUVs) got me to move brands! I have always owned a Toyota or a Honda. Fortunately, my wife decided to upgrade and she agreed to buy my 2016 Toyota Prius (Touring 3) so we could get this one. =)

So I am struggling in choosing the right charger. I MAY have a 240V already installed by the previous owner of my home. It has a Nema 6-50 so I either have to get a charger that has that or one that is Nema 6-20 but comes with an adapter.

I know that a 2018 Niro PHEV LX has 12A but most chargers with Nema 6-50 has 32A. Would that be a problem? Any electricians here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 09:01 PM

Current can only flow as much as it can. Larger outputs dont "push" any more current, they are just able to flow more current if it is needed.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 08:00 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiadeNiro View Post
Hello everyone. This is my first Kia vehicle and I am quite excited. The combo of plug-in and hybrid, along with the crossover feel (higher than most cars but not as huge as most SUVs) got me to move brands! I have always owned a Toyota or a Honda. Fortunately, my wife decided to upgrade and she agreed to buy my 2016 Toyota Prius (Touring 3) so we could get this one. =)

So I am struggling in choosing the right charger. I MAY have a 240V already installed by the previous owner of my home. It has a Nema 6-50 so I either have to get a charger that has that or one that is Nema 6-20 but comes with an adapter.

I know that a 2018 Niro PHEV LX has 12A but most chargers with Nema 6-50 has 32A. Would that be a problem? Any electricians here?
Not an electrician, but the best solution might be to just replace the 6-50 outlet with a 6-20 for the 16A charger. You could replace the circuit breakers too assuming the current ones are rated for the 6-50 (50A max) with 20A to match the 6-20 spec. The wiring should be fine since it should be rated for the higher current assuming it was installed correctly.

There's no issue with buying a 32A charger and using the existing 6-50 wiring, you're just not going to see any benefit from the more capable charger. I suppose the decision would come down to how much does it cost to replace the outlet/circuit breakers and does that negate the lower cost of the 16A charger?

There are a lot of inexpensive Level 2 chargers that can do 16A. I'm thinking about picking one up so I can quickly recharge on weekends when we do a bunch of short trips. Amazon has them for around $200.

Jim
Southern Maryland
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 01:19 PM

It makes no difference whether the charging station of your previous owner is 12, 20 30 or 60 A, or attached with either NEMA plug type to the 240V house receptacle - the only thing that matters is it has a J1772 plug on the end of the cable that goes into the car. The car internal charger/converter will dictate how much/fast it draws.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 01:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurphEV View Post
Not an electrician, but the best solution might be to just replace the 6-50 outlet with a 6-20 for the 16A charger. You could replace the circuit breakers too assuming the current ones are rated for the 6-50 (50A max) with 20A to match the 6-20 spec. The wiring should be fine since it should be rated for the higher current assuming it was installed correctly.

There's no issue with buying a 32A charger and using the existing 6-50 wiring, you're just not going to see any benefit from the more capable charger. I suppose the decision would come down to how much does it cost to replace the outlet/circuit breakers and does that negate the lower cost of the 16A charger?

There are a lot of inexpensive Level 2 chargers that can do 16A. I'm thinking about picking one up so I can quickly recharge on weekends when we do a bunch of short trips. Amazon has them for around $200.
It's a different connector. It needs an adapter. I'm in the same situation. I already have a 14-50 in my shed because the previous owner had an electric welder. I couldn't find an appropriate adapter and am wondering if it's even a good idea. Looking to get a 16A level II charger.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurphEV View Post

Thank you for your insight. It will cost me $110 more to buy 32A charger and use what I currently have for my outlet. The electrician is charging me $245 to rewire for the 16A charger. So I guess I'm saving $25 to go with the 32A. Right?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandent View Post
It's a different connector. It needs an adapter. I'm in the same situation. I already have a 14-50 in my shed because the previous owner had an electric welder. I couldn't find an appropriate adapter and am wondering if it's even a good idea. Looking to get a 16A level II charger.
The 32A charger I am looking at plugs into the one I already have in the garage. I mean it's Nema 6-50 so I guess it will fit just fine.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontfret View Post
It makes no difference whether the charging station of your previous owner is 12, 20 30 or 60 A, or attached with either NEMA plug type to the 240V house receptacle - the only thing that matters is it has a J1772 plug on the end of the cable that goes into the car. The car internal charger/converter will dictate how much/fast it draws.
So my 16A car battery will only take 16A at the supposed speed of 2.5 hours; and not make it go any quicker even if I use a 32A?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald View Post
Current can only flow as much as it can. Larger outputs dont "push" any more current, they are just able to flow more current if it is needed.
So my car will just take 12A regardless. But would the speed vary?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 03:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiadeNiro View Post
Thank you for your insight. It will cost me $110 more to buy 32A charger and use what I currently have for my outlet. The electrician is charging me $245 to rewire for the 16A charger. So I guess I'm saving $25 to go with the 32A. Right?
Yep. In your case it sounds like it would be cheaper overall to just buy the 32A charger compatible with your existing wiring. Not a bad deal overall actually, you get some future proofing if you end up buying a car that can use the additional current in the future while avoiding the hassle of having an electrician re-wire your garage. Win-Win.

Jim
Southern Maryland

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page