Niro Sx Touring PHEV - Kia Niro Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 02:27 AM Thread Starter

Niro Sx Touring PHEV

Picked up our Niro on October 11th in Vancouver BC. It was a real scramble to get the model and the color we wanted with the small initial Canadian shipment. Love it so far, now comes the dance to choose a home charging station. Any suggestions from other Niro phev folks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 05:21 AM Thread Starter

Oops😔 forgot to say hello, hi everybody😊
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 06:24 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Bolide View Post
Love it so far, now comes the dance to choose a home charging station. Any suggestions from other Niro phev folks?
I've been happy with the included Level 1 charger so far actually. We've had our PHEV since April and the 7 hour charge time has been fine almost all the time since we mainly use the car for commuting. I am planning to pick up a Level 2 charger sometime soon, just so I can take advantage of the 2.5 hour recharge on the weekends when we've got a bunch of shorter trips. The times when I've been able to use the car over a weekend several times without using any gas have been great, so I think the investment is worth it. Amazon has them for as little as $200 for the 16A version which is perfect for the Niro so the cost is pretty minimal.

Unless you have a use case where you really need the faster recharge time I would stick with the Level 1 for a while and see how you like it.

Good luck with the car and welcome to the forum!
nogastoday likes this.

Jim
Southern Maryland
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 12:12 PM

Garage
I could've sworn that I read somewhere in the manual that doing level 1 charges all the time hurts the battery life after a while? I could be mistaken.

2018 PHEV
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 01:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
I could've sworn that I read somewhere in the manual that doing level 1 charges all the time hurts the battery life after a while? I could be mistaken.
The only downside is the longer charging time. The actual charging of the battery is handled by the on-vehicle charge controller so there's no other effects from the lower charge voltage.

I've attached the relevant pages from the Features and Functions Guide and the Owner's Manual and it is interesting that the full manual says to only use the trickle charger as a backup (no reason given, but from the context it's a cautionary note on home wiring capacities as opposed to a battery issue). Conversely, the FF guide says the opposite, calling the trickle charger the normal method for charging the PHEV.

In any event, I would use the trickle charger with confidence, it's designed to charge the vehicle safely and as long as your home wiring is up to the task you should have no problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Charging2.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	289.3 KB
ID:	4149   Click image for larger version

Name:	Charging.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	4151  

Jim
Southern Maryland
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, we have been using the supplied standard wall power charger and it works just fine but as we learn more about battery longevity it might be convenient to charge a little quicker. Found some research where this type of battery with 100% to 0% cycles lasted 500 Cycles. 70% to 20% lasted 6000 Cycles. Seems that the best best compromise would be to leave the battery at 80% overnight. Lots to learn. We are running in hybrid mode during the break-in period, otherwise with I wear driving needs the motor would be gathering cobwebs.😁
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Darn dictation software...that should be... our driving needs.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 03:57 PM

You are correct about battery degradation (although the cycle count sounds exagerated) but the 100% charge indicator on your dash does not correspond to the actual battery charge. It is unlikely that Kia allows more than around an 80% charge. But there is no harm in charging to 80% indicated if you do not need the range in a particular post charge interval.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 04:14 PM

Garage
Indeed, Kia does NOT want to replace everyone's batteries every 1 or 2 years. The charging controller almost certainly automatically keeps the battery inside the optimal range that results in the best battery lifespan. ie, when it says it's dead and it turns off EV mode, it's really at 20%, and when it says 100%, it's really at 80%.

2018 PHEV
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Interesting to learn about the indicated charge percentage fudge. I'll keep that in mind. Out of curiosity, when running in EV mode, at what low charge level does the system default to hybrid mode to recharge the battery? Thanks for all the pearls of wisdom.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page