Considering a Niro - Kia Niro Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Considering a Niro

Hi! Iím considering a Kia Niro so I decided to join the forum after much lurking.
My dilemma is the appeal factor. I find the Touring looks so much more appealing than the 16í wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Followme View Post
Hi! Iím considering a Kia Niro so I decided to join the forum after much lurking.
My dilemma is the appeal factor. I find the Touring looks so much more appealing than the 16í wheels.
All my cars for the past 20 years have had alloy wheels (no hubcaps) so that was a compromise for me by going with the EX with 16Ē wheels. But besides the extra cost for the Touring and mileage penalty, I didnít want to get the 18Ē rims. My other vehicle has 19Ē rims and it was sticker shock when I had to replace the tires.
Murkshev and charlesH like this.

2018 HEV Niro EX Metal Stream with Advanced Tech Package
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 10:29 PM

My wife and I bought Niros with 16 inch wheels. I don't like larger rims, since I had at one time been a tire installer. PITA
And the 205/60R16 are a very common size and can be bought from cheap to expensive.
The hubcaps, I am not a fan. So I went and bought some Koenig wheels and tires for them. Got same tire and rim sizes, put Michelin Defender tires on there. I expect to put lots of mile on my Niro. I wanted something with a higher mileage rating. I know at some point my wife will hit a curb or something will happen and a tire and or hubcap will need to be replaced. For her its just a matter of time. So I got the old wheels sitting in the garage waiting. After the first year I will just take hers off and rotate the other set in to give them all wear if she doesn't need one or more sooner.
Note that with the Michelin energy saver tires that came on the Niro I averaged 54-56 mpg, with the new Michelin tires I get 50-52.
Nouseformonkeys likes this.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Looking at the Michelin tires for this vehicle, theyíre not cheap per se. Itís a about a 40 percent difference than what I currently own.

I completely understand. Itís something I will have to get over or move on. At the end of the day, Iím looking to save.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 03:22 PM

Garage
As a Niro owner, I'd say the car doesn't have a lot of appeal factor regardless of the wheels you put on it. It's an economy car, not exactly a chick magnet. I knew that before I bought it, and I was fine with that. I honestly didn't want it to have much appeal factor, and look like I was trying to pretend it is something that it isn't. If appeal factor is a real concern, this might not be the car for you.
I know it's not a realistic option for everyone, but in my case I kept my Audi as a "weekend" car, for when I care about looks and performance. Otherwise, my Niro does exactly what I bought it for just fine - getting me to and from work and the mountains, cheaply and comfortably, while attracting absolutely zero attention from anyone except other Niro drivers.
dots likes this.

2018 PHEV
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murkshev View Post
My wife and I bought Niros with 16 inch wheels. I don't like larger rims, since I had at one time been a tire installer. PITA
And the 205/60R16 are a very common size and can be bought from cheap to expensive.
The hubcaps, I am not a fan. So I went and bought some Koenig wheels and tires for them. Got same tire and rim sizes, put Michelin Defender tires on there. I expect to put lots of mile on my Niro. I wanted something with a higher mileage rating. I know at some point my wife will hit a curb or something will happen and a tire and or hubcap will need to be replaced. For her its just a matter of time. So I got the old wheels sitting in the garage waiting. After the first year I will just take hers off and rotate the other set in to give them all wear if she doesn't need one or more sooner.
Note that with the Michelin energy saver tires that came on the Niro I averaged 54-56 mpg, with the new Michelin tires I get 50-52.
Murkshev, do you mind posting at picture of your car with the Koenig set up?

2018 HEV Niro EX Metal Stream with Advanced Tech Package
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouseformonkeys View Post
Quote:
Murkshev, do you mind posting at picture of your car with the Koenig set up?
I looked up the Koenig wheels. They look great and is a nice option without breaking the bank. I too, am curious to see how they look on your Niro.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 08:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Agree on wheel size. The drawbacks are numerous and large and the advantages seem to be limited to looks (matter of opinion of the owner) and slightly grippier summer performance for those who are planning on commuting on the Autobahn at 120mph. My last two cars had the large rim/low profile. NEVER.AGAIN.COLD.DEAD.HANDS. What a freaking fussy money pit. Besides the crappy wear life, the horrible handling/traction in ice/snow (too wide), and the obscene prices, nearly every batch of tires wore prematurely. I could only get about 20,000 miles on the Audi and about 30 on the Ford if I really stretched it. Generally they never had a chance to wear out because invariably one of them would slip a belt or some other thing rendering the tire dead for anyone that does like vibrating wheels. Oh yeah....forgot the easy flat spotting.

Disagree perhaps on the wear rating of the stock Michelins. Pretty sure they are rated for 65,000 miles.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandent View Post
Quote:
Agree on wheel size. The drawbacks are numerous and large and the advantages seem to be limited to looks (matter of opinion of the owner) and slightly grippier summer performance for those who are planning on commuting on the Autobahn at 120mph. My last two cars had the large rim/low profile. NEVER.AGAIN.COLD.DEAD.HANDS. What a freaking fussy money pit. Besides the crappy wear life, the horrible handling/traction in ice/snow (too wide), and the obscene prices, nearly every batch of tires wore prematurely. I could only get about 20,000 miles on the Audi and about 30 on the Ford if I really stretched it. Generally they never had a chance to wear out because invariably one of them would slip a belt or some other thing rendering the tire dead for anyone that does like vibrating wheels. Oh yeah....forgot the easy flat spotting.

Disagree perhaps on the wear rating of the stock Michelins. Pretty sure they are rated for 65,000 miles.
Yikes, didn’t know the larger wheels were that terrible. Good to know. I hope to make a decision by this weekend.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Followme View Post
Yikes, didnít know the larger wheels were that terrible. Good to know. I hope to make a decision by this weekend.

They are not "terrible", just something that you need to think about.
Larger tires are becoming more popular and prices are evening out, wear is no different than with similar tires in smaller sizes (assuming the same tire brand in each size) and the difference in MPG's is a trade-off that youa re either willing to take or not.

Personally, I think a nearly $30,000 vehicle should NEVER come with Walmart looking hubcaps...

More to the point, when I replaced the Michelin eco tires on my Fusion Hybrid, I chose the Goodyear's version of an eco tire. Lost 4 MPG. No research ever prepared me for that!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page