Newbie confused about warranty required maintenance - Kia Niro Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Newbie confused about warranty required maintenance

Hi,

Just reading some bits of the 611 page manual for my new Niro PHEV, confused about required maintenance intervals and who is required to do them. Obviously I want to retain warranty coverage.

Note that the car will be driven about 7-8K mi/year.

First, I see under "7500 mi or 6 months"

Replace engine oil and filter
(7,500 miles (12,000 km) or 12 months)

Doesn't "7,500 miles (12,000 km) or 12 months" contradict the "7500 mi or 6 months"? Is the oil change required at 6 month intervals, or as I only drive 7-8K mi/year, at 12 month intervals? If the latter, is it still required that I bring the car in at 6 months intervals to have other things checked?

Also, is the specified "0W-20 API SN or ACEA C2" always full synthetic? Def would seem overkill for a 3250 mi/6 month interval, if that is indeed correct.

Also, is it necessary to have this work done at a Kia dealer? I'm pretty far from the nearest dealer.

Thanks, Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 06:45 PM

Nope, you don't have to have work done by a dealer. You can change oil at their specified interval if you want, but I'm planning on going much further. It is absolutely overkill and I'd suggest using the mileage, not the time frame. I will be using the specified oil which is available in a non-synthetic I'm told, but I'm using the best synthetic I can find, along with the best filter with synthetic media I can find. The stock OEM filter is paper (I cut it open), fine for short change intervals but questionable for longer intervals. It is possible for your warranty to be voided from doing non-specified interval changes, but in US law anyway, Kia would have to prove some correlation to issue. For example, your transmission fails, that is unrelated to engine oil changes.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 10:08 PM

I have seen posted on European maintenance schedules 15000km or 12 months oil change interval. In my manual it says 12000km or 12 months.
I do 90% of my driving in electric mode, if not more, so the engine is hardly used, so I'm going to end up getting an oil change with new looking oil.
On top of that, the dealer put a sticker in my car indicating 6000km as an interval, which seems a little extreme, but maybe ok for the first change since the engine was just breaking in.
Any Canadians had a similar experience?
It would be cool if we could capture data from the computer indicating actual engine hours (my van even had that!).
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 12:45 AM

Garage
Agreed, it would be nice if the car logged IC engine hours/miles for oil changes, since 7500 miles on the odometer could mean 1000 miles on the IC engine for one person, and 6000 miles for another person. Still, oil changes are cheap - $35 or so right? I'd say just have it done every 7500 miles or 6 months and call it a day. Just my 2 cents.

2018 PHEV
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 09:02 AM

Oil change requirements can be silly. What if you park a car for a year? Warranty voided if you don't change oil twice on a car than doesn't have even one mile?

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

The question comes into what is considered extreem conditions. In Southern Ontario, there is a huge differance between living in Niagara Falls, and living in the snow belt that is just 60km away. So they tend to say the whole of the area is considered exteem condition and therefore needs to have the 6month oil change vs the 12. The ownus seems to fall on the car manufacturer to proove that it was becuase you didn't follow some confusing part of the mantanence regiment that the warraty is void.

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatlamp View Post
First, I see under "7500 mi or 6 months"

Replace engine oil and filter
(7,500 miles (12,000 km) or 12 months)

Doesn't "7,500 miles (12,000 km) or 12 months" contradict the "7500 mi or 6 months"? Is the oil change required at 6 month intervals, or as I only drive 7-8K mi/year, at 12 month intervals? If the latter, is it still required that I bring the car in at 6 months intervals to have other things checked?

You have a good point. It definitely does seem contradictory, and the oil isn’t the only maintenance activity that has this problem. And if you look at the table for the second maintenance interval, which is described as “15,000 miles (24,000 km) or 12 months”, the guidance for the oil change is “15,000 miles (24,000 km) or 24 months”.

Who knows what they really mean? I interpret it this way: think of the first table as “Service Visit #1” and the second table as Service Visit #2, and so on. When should you schedule service visit #1? Ideally, after 7500 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first. But regardless of when you actually decide to get the car serviced, you really need to change the oil at 7500 miles or 12 months, whichever comes first, and you might need to schedule it sooner if your car is subject to “Severe Usage Conditions”. If you visit the dealer at 6 months and the car has only gone 3000 miles of “normal usage”, then they should tell you that you don’t need your oil changed yet (but don’t count on that).

I plan on getting the first oil change at the dealer after six months, for several reasons.

The manual defines pretty much everything except highway driving on flat roads as “Severe Usage”.

I think that there’s a greater chance of the oil getting contaminated more quickly during the first few thousand miles while the engine is still breaking in.
In addition to changing the oil, the dealer might know of some other kinds of service that need to be done. There might be TSBs that affect my car that I won’t hear about unless I check in with a dealer.

If you’ve ever shopped for a used car and looked at CarFax reports for different cars, you might have noticed that some show the owner getting the oil changed regularly, and others don’t. I feel better about those that show a pattern of regular oil changes, because it suggests that the owner took good care of the car. So maybe getting the oil changed regularly, at the dealer, improves resale value, or maybe not.

The owner’s manual considers frequent short trips to be “Severe Usage Conditions”. If I’m making lots of short trips exclusively in EV mode, I don’t think that counts (at least, not for the oil change aspect). But if I’m making trips where the ICE starts and stops several times without ever warming up to normal temperature, I think that does count as severe usage. When the ICE is running cold, it seems likely that extra fuel is being injected and also likely that more oil contamination can occur. And because I do drive a lot in EV mode, days or weeks can go by without the ICE ever starting. When it finally does start, I wonder if some parts of the engine might suffer poor lubrication for the first few seconds because the engine has been off for so long. That problem is likely to be less extreme with new oil in the engine, rather than with old oil that has begun to break down.

2018 Niro PHEV Gravity Blue
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 12:43 PM

Do miles trump months? or is it user choice. I get email notices that my service is overdue but I don't even have 5,000 miles on car yet after 8 months. Dealer recommends 4,000 or 4 months in Washington Seattle area so don't know what to believe.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egmacrae View Post
Do miles trump months? or is it user choice. I get email notices that my service is overdue but I don't even have 5,000 miles on car yet after 8 months. Dealer recommends 4,000 or 4 months in Washington Seattle area so don't know what to believe.
I was always under the impression it's always what ever comes first. But of the manufacturer recommendations. Dealers recommend other things to get you to come back for un-needed stuff.

Gene Daytona Beach Beach, Fl.
2018 Kia Niro LX 7/11/18-
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

I think it is a pretty fine line. The logic is that some things are as much time as mileage related. For example, your tires might say 60,000 miles on them but also 6 years. That is becuase the rubber compounds will degrade over the 6 years and then you are at risk of the sidewalls starting to leak and possible blowout if left much longer. Likewise, fluids inside the car can get contamination over time from moisture in the air. The oil inside your car can chemically react with the carbon and loose lubrication efficiancy. If you just go with miles, you could have a car driven by a retired person who only drives 30 miles a week who never got the first oil change done even after 3 years of driving and wonders why the car is now not driving well at all.

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page