New disappointed owner - Kia Niro Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

New disappointed owner

Hello Everyone. Just bought a 2019 Niro Touring last Dec 15. Loving the car until last Friday, Dec 28 when it wont start the ICE. Its says check hybrid engine system. Maybe i cant handle Manitoba’s winter chills. Hope it will be fixed soon. Advance happy new year!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 12:21 AM

Did this ever get resolved?
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Someone in my Quebec Niro's facebook group had the same problem, was resolved at the dealership. i dont think the canadian chills has a direct effect on this problem!

give us some more news!

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (8140 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

My Niro was back for the 3rd time in the dealership last Thursday (Jan,. 24, 2019) for the exact same error.
The first fix they did last Dec 28 was just a reset. Picked it up last January 3, drove for a week i think then after a -16 temperature it didn't start again (January 8)with the same error.
The 2nd fix was that they changed the "hybrid power relay assembly". Got it running since January 18 then last thursday, January 24 after being subjected to - 26 temp, same error. Was towed to the dealership again. Still waiting for an update for the fix this time. I really think that its the subzero temp os freezing the car. Ill be emailing kia canada to have me refunded(buy back the car) or replace it with an ICE car. The Niro is not built for Manitoba harsh winter weather..
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 09:40 PM

I've been wondering about how well it would do in extreme low or high temps. Batteries don't like temperature extremes. My limited understanding is that at low temps, they just don't deliver the juice and are also unwilling to take a charge, whereas at high temps (and especially with high charge), they deteriorate. I wonder how other models (e.g., the Prius) do in extreme cold, and if they include extra technology to help with that when sold in colder markets.

2018 Niro PHEV Gravity Blue
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

we will be giving it a try in a few days here in Toronto. If the weather reports are correct we will have three days with highs in the -17c but feeling like -30c. At night it will be down in the -25c. With three days in a row, it will give my car a real test as I don't drive long distances and not every day, so if the battery and electronics are going to conk out, then it will likely be in this period.

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestor Tee Martinez II View Post
I really think that its the subzero temp os freezing the car. Ill be emailing kia canada to have me refunded(buy back the car) or replace it with an ICE car. The Niro is not built for Manitoba harsh winter weather..

Really sorry too hear that.! There is something else that will need a fix.! I do not think that the cold is the only issue... We had a "blizzard" last week in Qc, and it got sooo low with a -35c with wind-factor (-31f), and it started with no problem.! Be patient, they will get it fix.. and if not.. change the dealer.!

@deltasmith : I dont think that kia install extra technology for places of the world that are coolder than others.. but it seems to be working #1.. (for me)

@Roadkill401 : Yep, i have seen it this morning, from wednesday till saturday with some -28 with wind factor and a 20cm of snow on thuesday! issshhhh!!!
eddarrah likes this.

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

I don't think that Kia is ignorant about cold weather. Considering they make the cars for the EU market and sell quite a bit in places like Finland and Sweeden, they must know about cold. My wife is from Kapuskasing and GM I know had a winter drive testing facility up there as they have temps in the same range if not worse that what Winipeg has. I would imagine that companies like Kia and Hyundi also have test facilities for countries that have winter. Just becuase there are qutie a few people in California and Florida who get warm temps pretty much year round, doesn't discount cities in North Dakota and Deluth Minnesota. they are close to your temps too.

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill401 View Post
I don't think that Kia is ignorant about cold weather. Considering they make the cars for the EU market and sell quite a bit in places like Finland and Sweeden, they must know about cold. My wife is from Kapuskasing and GM I know had a winter drive testing facility up there as they have temps in the same range if not worse that what Winipeg has. I would imagine that companies like Kia and Hyundi also have test facilities for countries that have winter. Just becuase there are qutie a few people in California and Florida who get warm temps pretty much year round, doesn't discount cities in North Dakota and Deluth Minnesota. they are close to your temps too.
I don't think they are either, I just wonder how the electrical system behaves in extreme cold temps.

According to Battery University, standard Lithium Ion batteries won't accept a charge below 0 C.

According to the owner's manual, the car might display a message on the dash about switching to HEV mode because of low/high temp. I wonder if anyone has seen that in cold weather yet.

The battery pack is protected by a cooling fan in hot conditions. I wonder if maybe that fan also runs in cold conditions to pump heat from the cabin over the traction battery. If so, running heat through the rear ventilation ducts might help in cold weather (assuming the ICE starts and is providing heat, that is).
Dovidan likes this.

2018 Niro PHEV Gravity Blue
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltasmith View Post
I don't think they are either, I just wonder how the electrical system behaves in extreme cold temps.

According to Battery University, standard Lithium Ion batteries won't accept a charge below 0 C.

According to the owner's manual, the car might display a message on the dash about switching to HEV mode because of low/high temp. I wonder if anyone has seen that in cold weather yet.

I have charged it at -19c (-2.2f) with wind factor last week, with no problem and run on EV mode. The only time it does switch, it's when heating is ON or 0km is left. Not because it's cold

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page