New member disappointed with vehicle - Kia Niro Forum
 3Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 2
New member disappointed with vehicle

New to Kia and new to this form. Just found out my new 2018 Niro needs a new lithium battery. The car has just over 1000 km. Itís currently in the shop waiting for this part. I was also informed there are no lithium batteries available in Canada. There are currently no batteries available at the manufacturing site in Korea. Have to wait for one to be made then shipped overseas to Canada. Not impressed
jimmy chua likes this.
mkostiw is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 10:32 PM
Junior Member
 
Jason Carmichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 22
Garage
I didn't even get mine from the dealer until it had 622 miles on it! 1001km. Other than my resume on my cruise control being psychotic, zero issues.

17 LX Pearl White
Jason Carmichael is offline  
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 02:00 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Murrieta, CA
Posts: 327
One way to look at that (and the way I'm looking at it) is that it's pretty pathetic: how can the battery possibly be dead in 1000 km?


Another way to look at is this:did you buy the car used (rather than new) and at a steep discount? If so, and if you're getting the battery replaced under warranty, then this experience might be a blessing in disguise.


Sorry to hear of your trouble, regardless.

2018 Niro PHEV Gravity Blue
deltasmith is offline  
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 05:36 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: California
Posts: 249
Garage
1000km dead battery tells me the battery was just defective. It happens. They put it through quality control, and it passed because, well, it worked fine at the time, and just had a hidden defect. Sucks they can't get a new one quickly though, hopefully you at least got a loaner car for the meantime.

2018 PHEV
cockedandglocked is offline  
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 07:53 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Carmichael View Post
I didn't even get mine from the dealer until it had 622 miles on it! 1001km. Other than my resume on my cruise control being psychotic, zero issues.



Every single aspect of the cruise control is a mess.


Worst I have ever had, and I installed an aftermarket cruise on a 1975 Mercury Montaray station wagon...it worked better than this one.
Jason Carmichael likes this.
Griswald is offline  
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 2
I bought the car new, it had 365 km on it.

Kia canada says it will take upwards of a month to get the battery here.
mkostiw is offline  
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 391
You need to look at it through a QC eye. The battery will be given a rudimentary test. Does it charge, and hold a charge? YES, then it passes. what the Mokotiw doesn't mention is where in Canada he/she is located. Here in Canada, we have this thing called WINTER, and it can get cold. Today on the weather channel they are talking about how in Saskatchewan they are having temperatures feeling down around the -50c. That is REALLY COLD!!!. To expect that the battery is going to work flawlessly in these kind of temperatures is ludicrous. Had that Lithium battery headed down to the middle of the USA, it would have worked flawlessly and without any problem, as the temps down there are not anywhere near the temps we are getting here. Had that same car been shipped and sold in Victoria BC, it would be running just fine and the owner of the Niro would be happily posting here about how much they love that car. But assuming the poster is from some other part of Canada where we are getting hammered with beyond normal cold weather, then YES, Kia needs to make sure that the batteries that they are installing are select and made to the upper end of the spectrum so that they will work in these extreme cold conditions. THEY CAN. And to do this they need to get a battery that will work for you and they simply don't stock them here in Canada.



I shake my head at the SNOWFLAKE WHINERS who seem to want to bitch and moan about anything that they feel is not up to perfect standards. Have you ever bought a new home and found that it was made perfect without any defect list? Do you send a McDonald's burger back because it doesn't look as pristine as the ones in the photographs they have on the order screen or advertisements? Do you return a carton of blueberries because there are one or two berries inside at the bottom that are rotten or smushed? Do you scream at the TV weather person they tell you it is going to be sunny and you get a cloud in the sky? GET REAL!


The fact is that cars come with a warranty in case something does go wrong and they are fixing your car. I am going to guess that they will give you a different car to drive while yours is in the shop as with a defective battery it likely isn't going to be able to drive. So how are they not living up to the standards?

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
Roadkill401 is offline  
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 09:52 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 55
Kia has just dipped its toe into the battery EV market. KIA is very much an ICE manufacturer. You just have to look at the cars they have on any dealership lot. The Niro Hybrid PHEV's are compliance cars. The KIA Corporate goal is to meet the requirements of environmentally sensitive states like California.That's why California gets KIA's high mileage cars. We have a KIA Niro PHEV and it was like pulling teeth to get KIA to send any to Florida. I fully expected the dealerships would be challenged to service anything other than the ICE in our car and not carry any parts for the EV feature.
We also have a 2018 Tesla 100D which is produced in volume and actually has parts within Florida.
If you want a real EV and a company that doesn't sell ICE cars then Tesla is the perfected technology.

For our Niro PHEV if we want EV parts we either will fly to Korea or wait for them to come a few months later via boat.The batteries can't go by Air.
picstart is offline  
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 10:12 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: South Florida
Posts: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill401 View Post
You need to look at it through a QC eye. The battery will be given a rudimentary test. Does it charge, and hold a charge? YES, then it passes. what the Mokotiw doesn't mention is where in Canada he/she is located. Here in Canada, we have this thing called WINTER, and it can get cold. Today on the weather channel they are talking about how in Saskatchewan they are having temperatures feeling down around the -50c. That is REALLY COLD!!!. To expect that the battery is going to work flawlessly in these kind of temperatures is ludicrous. Had that Lithium battery headed down to the middle of the USA, it would have worked flawlessly and without any problem, as the temps down there are not anywhere near the temps we are getting here. Had that same car been shipped and sold in Victoria BC, it would be running just fine and the owner of the Niro would be happily posting here about how much they love that car. But assuming the poster is from some other part of Canada where we are getting hammered with beyond normal cold weather, then YES, Kia needs to make sure that the batteries that they are installing are select and made to the upper end of the spectrum so that they will work in these extreme cold conditions. THEY CAN. And to do this they need to get a battery that will work for you and they simply don't stock them here in Canada.


I shake my head at the SNOWFLAKE WHINERS who seem to want to bitch and moan about anything that they feel is not up to perfect standards. Have you ever bought a new home and found that it was made perfect without any defect list? Do you send a McDonald's burger back because it doesn't look as pristine as the ones in the photographs they have on the order screen or advertisements? Do you return a carton of blueberries because there are one or two berries inside at the bottom that are rotten or smushed? Do you scream at the TV weather person they tell you it is going to be sunny and you get a cloud in the sky? GET REAL!


The fact is that cars come with a warranty in case something does go wrong and they are fixing your car. I am going to guess that they will give you a different car to drive while yours is in the shop as with a defective battery it likely isn't going to be able to drive. So how are they not living up to the standards?
Yes, some people complain too much about little things, but there is a big difference between a McDonaldís burger and a $30K+ car and new house. And a defective battery on a Hybrid vehicle is different than a piece of trim that is not stuck on perfectly. The OP is going to be inconvenienced having to make trips back and forth to the dealer for a major defect on a new car. When you buy a new house and there are things that are not perfect, the builder might willingly fix them or you might have to spend time fighting with them to get them to fix them. And when they do fix them, you are going to have to take time out of your day to make sure that they get fixed to your satisfaction.

When I bought my Niro, I noticed a small dent on the roof right after I brought it home. The dealer must have known about it because they offered no resistance or skepticism and agreed to fix it right away. But then the manager said to bring it in on a weekday because weekends are too busy. The dealer is not close to me, so I asked if I was going to get a loaner because i would have to leave it there for a couple of days and he said no. I stressed that because of something that was not my fault I would now have to take two hours out of my workday and find someone to follow me to the dealer to give me a ride home and then rpeat the process when the car was fixed. Finally, he called up the body shop and had the car picked up and dropped back off. BTW, the body shop was great.

The bottom line is that it doesnít matter how great the follow up service is, you are still being inconvenienced by having to deal with issues that shouldnít have been there in the first place.

2018 HEV Niro EX Metal Stream with Advanced Tech Package
Nouseformonkeys is online now  
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 415
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by picstart View Post
Niro PHEV if we want EV parts we either will fly to Korea or wait for them to come a few months later via boat.The batteries can't go by Air.

California is closer to Korea, so its normal that they have all the stuff faster than in Florida.! Same thing for us in Canada, Vancouver is getting all the new versions before Montreal and Toronto...


@Roadkill401 , what you do mean by: look at it through a QC eye ?

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!


Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (9000 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
lafe005 is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Plethora of Warning Sounds in Niro achr Kia Niro General Discussion 6 03-24-2019 08:47 PM
Display Posterís Vehicle Info under the Username Nouseformonkeys KiaNiroForum.com Site Issue, Help and Feedback 6 10-10-2018 03:33 PM
2018 Kia Niro when in Reverse makes Beeping noise from Front of vehicle TeleRisk18 2018+ Kia Niro EV General Discussion 13 08-05-2018 06:30 PM
Kia Niro FIRST Vehicle Ever to be Awarded IIHS Top Safety Pick + achr Kia Niro General Discussion 3 08-04-2018 08:22 PM
Fleet Vehicle? Broncos Kia Niro General Discussion 6 05-25-2016 02:17 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome