Kia Niro Forum banner
  • Welcome to the Kia Niro forum! We discuss all models of the Niro, including the Hybrid, PHEV and EV versions. We are glad you stopped by. Feel free to browse the various topics, along with out FAQs. To enable posting, you need to register for a user account. There is no cost for this. Just click in the upper right corner where it says Login/Join. We look forward to your continued parcipitation.

New owner (soon)

5K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Spiritwalker2222 
#1 ·
We just put a deposit on an EX Premium, and I want to know if I’ve made a terrible mistake. I didn’t properly consider the Plug-in EX, and there’s a new Canadian rebate of $2500 (sadly Ontario has nothing more). With the rebate the prices are closer, but although we have chargers at work it’s 70km away each way. Any thoughts?

#4 ·
I can take it that you are located in Canada.. I have the EX and love it. When I bought there just were not any plug ins around and I wanted a car now, not 4-5 months from not to get one on order. I don't know if the dealership you bought from has a plugin? From my personal needs, the only real benifit of the plugin is to get the HOV lane plate. The added cost of the vehicle for the amount of driving that I do, the break even point was just too far into the future to justify (as Ontraio had rightfully canned the rebate).

Take into consideration as well. Up here gets cold in Winter and stays that way for well into half of the year. The PHEV doesn't produce heat from electricity, so depending if you like to drive with a heater turned on, your gas engine will be running to provice the warmth. So the side of you get that 45km or whatever it is of EV driving, it sort of a con job. You are running a gasoline engine to warm you and dumping all the same polution into the air. So if you are buying for that GREEN feeling, your fooling youself. When it gets rather cold I drive my kid to school as there is no bus in my area. The distance would be perfect for the Plugin EV mode, but it is the cold bit that sort of breaks the benefit.

The Plugin is a great vehicle, and I don't doubt that it has a place in the market.

#6 ·
I can take it that you are located in Canada.. I have the EX and love it. When I bought there just were not any plug ins around and I wanted a car now, not 4-5 months from not to get one on order. I don't know if the dealership you bought from has a plugin? From my personal needs, the only real benifit of the plugin is to get the HOV lane plate. The added cost of the vehicle for the amount of driving that I do, the break even point was just too far into the future to justify (as Ontraio had rightfully canned the rebate).

Take into consideration as well. Up here gets cold in Winter and stays that way for well into half of the year. The PHEV doesn't produce heat from electricity, so depending if you like to drive with a heater turned on, your gas engine will be running to provice the warmth. So the side of you get that 45km or whatever it is of EV driving, it sort of a con job. You are running a gasoline engine to warm you and dumping all the same polution into the air. So if you are buying for that GREEN feeling, your fooling youself. When it gets rather cold I drive my kid to school as there is no bus in my area. The distance would be perfect for the Plugin EV mode, but it is the cold bit that sort of breaks the benefit.

The Plugin is a great vehicle, and I don't doubt that it has a place in the market.

You have both an HEV and a PHEV right? Have you ever tried to compare your fuel economy in the winter from driving first one and then the other to work? I was under the impression that once you've warmed up the ICE, if you switch to EV mode but the ICE continues to run to make heat, that it runs in a way that is pretty efficient? Obviously, if you make a long trip and you don't manage to use a significant amount of your EV range over some stretch of that trip, then the PHEV isn't helping and you're probably getting worse economy than you would in an HEV due to the extra weight. On the other hand, if you have any serious climbing to do and you conserve the PHEV's battery charge for that section of the trip, it's nice to have the extra power assist and might even be more efficient for that kind of driving.

#8 ·
kia.ca is pretty useless to look up features and options. Couldn't find any mention of CCP either. As Canadian Ioniqs can be fitted with CCP (cold climate package), I assumed Niros could as well. Certainly the EV has it standard or as an option. Details to date on the US Niro EV has standard heat pump.

#9 ·
Thanks for all the great info, everyone. I feel a little better about not getting the PHEV now. I will miss the Green plate and, small, bragging rights. Having said that, my dealer said they would get us a green plate, but I'm thinking that could backfire in the future.

Other we're looking forward to the new car, any advice for a first time Niro Owner?

#11 ·
Both are really great cars, and I am sure you can't in the long run go wrong with either. The only other consideration is the length of time you generally pan on keeping a car. If you are like many and generally grow tires of yours after 3-4 years, perhaps even stretching it to 5 years, then the break even point will likely favour the HEV over the PHEV. However, if you are someone who likes what they drive and will keep at it until it simply fails and can see keeping it for 8-12 years, then the PHEV starts to make more sense.

I got the HEV as I saw that the cost of fuel is an issue and it's only going to get worse. I paid more for a new Hybrid as I worked out that the savings on cost of fuel will more than cover the difference. And as gas costs go up the savings will grow larger each year.

#12 ·
I have the PHEV, and love it, but keep in mind that the $4k price differential (after the rebate brings it down from a $6k differential) is going to take a LONG time to break even on. By my rough estimate, it would take probably 2,000 full battery charges before you break even. At 2 full charges per day, every day, that'll take 3 years.

In my case, the US tax credits made the cost differential break even the day I bought it, so it was kind of a no-brainer to pick the PHEV, but without those credits I'd have probably chosen the regular HEV.

#14 ·
FYI, I bought the PHEV. I figure I'll recoup the initial cost delta (compared to HEV) in just under 4 years. If I go 80 km/h I can get a range of 70 km's. Which works out great when I visit some family members, go 70 km's, charge for free (thank you chargepoint) and then head back home. :)

P.S. My price delta is 10k, as the lowest level PHEV available in Canada is the EX premium. But on the flip side gas is expensive and electricity is cheap in Canada.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.