New owner (soon) - Kia Niro Forum
 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 6
New owner (soon)

We just put a deposit on an EX Premium, and I want to know if Iíve made a terrible mistake. I didnít properly consider the Plug-in EX, and thereís a new Canadian rebate of $2500 (sadly Ontario has nothing more). With the rebate the prices are closer, but although we have chargers at work itís 70km away each way. Any thoughts?
frameron is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 09:57 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 1,727
Well, half your distance will be covered by electrons, presumably free at the work end. How much does gas cost in Canada again? Or perhaps the Kona EV and no gas ever again!

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
yticolev is online now  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 6
True. Gas is around $1.30/L, I think thatís around $4.40/Gal.
frameron is offline  
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 391
I can take it that you are located in Canada.. I have the EX and love it. When I bought there just were not any plug ins around and I wanted a car now, not 4-5 months from not to get one on order. I don't know if the dealership you bought from has a plugin? From my personal needs, the only real benifit of the plugin is to get the HOV lane plate. The added cost of the vehicle for the amount of driving that I do, the break even point was just too far into the future to justify (as Ontraio had rightfully canned the rebate).


Take into consideration as well. Up here gets cold in Winter and stays that way for well into half of the year. The PHEV doesn't produce heat from electricity, so depending if you like to drive with a heater turned on, your gas engine will be running to provice the warmth. So the side of you get that 45km or whatever it is of EV driving, it sort of a con job. You are running a gasoline engine to warm you and dumping all the same polution into the air. So if you are buying for that GREEN feeling, your fooling youself. When it gets rather cold I drive my kid to school as there is no bus in my area. The distance would be perfect for the Plugin EV mode, but it is the cold bit that sort of breaks the benefit.



The Plugin is a great vehicle, and I don't doubt that it has a place in the market.

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
Roadkill401 is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 10:08 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 1,727
The CCP package available in Canada means heat without running the engine. Extra cost, but heated rear seats are part of it, and lower cost heating and AC than non heat pump cars.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
yticolev is online now  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 11:46 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Murrieta, CA
Posts: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill401 View Post
I can take it that you are located in Canada.. I have the EX and love it. When I bought there just were not any plug ins around and I wanted a car now, not 4-5 months from not to get one on order. I don't know if the dealership you bought from has a plugin? From my personal needs, the only real benifit of the plugin is to get the HOV lane plate. The added cost of the vehicle for the amount of driving that I do, the break even point was just too far into the future to justify (as Ontraio had rightfully canned the rebate).


Take into consideration as well. Up here gets cold in Winter and stays that way for well into half of the year. The PHEV doesn't produce heat from electricity, so depending if you like to drive with a heater turned on, your gas engine will be running to provice the warmth. So the side of you get that 45km or whatever it is of EV driving, it sort of a con job. You are running a gasoline engine to warm you and dumping all the same polution into the air. So if you are buying for that GREEN feeling, your fooling youself. When it gets rather cold I drive my kid to school as there is no bus in my area. The distance would be perfect for the Plugin EV mode, but it is the cold bit that sort of breaks the benefit.



The Plugin is a great vehicle, and I don't doubt that it has a place in the market.

You have both an HEV and a PHEV right? Have you ever tried to compare your fuel economy in the winter from driving first one and then the other to work? I was under the impression that once you've warmed up the ICE, if you switch to EV mode but the ICE continues to run to make heat, that it runs in a way that is pretty efficient? Obviously, if you make a long trip and you don't manage to use a significant amount of your EV range over some stretch of that trip, then the PHEV isn't helping and you're probably getting worse economy than you would in an HEV due to the extra weight. On the other hand, if you have any serious climbing to do and you conserve the PHEV's battery charge for that section of the trip, it's nice to have the extra power assist and might even be more efficient for that kind of driving.

2018 Niro PHEV Gravity Blue
deltasmith is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltasmith View Post
You have both an HEV and a PHEV right? Have you ever tried to compare your fuel economy in the winter from driving first one and then the other to work? I was under the impression that once you've warmed up the ICE, if you switch to EV mode but the ICE continues to run to make heat, that it runs in a way that is pretty efficient? Obviously, if you make a long trip and you don't manage to use a significant amount of your EV range over some stretch of that trip, then the PHEV isn't helping and you're probably getting worse economy than you would in an HEV due to the extra weight. On the other hand, if you have any serious climbing to do and you conserve the PHEV's battery charge for that section of the trip, it's nice to have the extra power assist and might even be more efficient for that kind of driving.

No, as I stated, I did not buy the PHEV becuase I live in Ontario, and they are just about impossible to get short of special ordering them. When I purchased my HEV they were not even really officially for sale in Canada, yet my dealer did put on on special order for one of thier customers and it took 6 months to arrive. By that time, the purchaser has lost his job (or so the dealer said) and financing fell through. They sold it 3 days later.



As for the heating. I had said when you get down to a cold temperature that it does up here in Canada, the residual heat inside the ICE is not enough to run the heating. I know that from experiance this past winter we had some pretty cold days. Even at stop lights when normally the engine will turn off, if the heating was left on the ICE did not shut down. If however, you turned off the heating, the ICE will shut off and the NIRO would run in EV mode. I wondered why the engine was running quite high revs and not shutting off even though the battery level was near full. That is what caused me to try experimenting. I found that I could get better fuel efficiancy to manually keep modulating the heating on/off based on battery level.


I cannot imagine that a PHEV would have any difference in tranfer of heat from the engine compaired to the HEV. I have not heard of this CCP package and can't see any reference to it on the KIA Canada web site. I know they do offer heated rear seats on the upper model, but that doesn't mean that it has an electrical air heater for the car. They do install an electric heat booster for the defrost/defog that will help heat up that function, but it only kicks in under certain conditions and it is a supliment to the engine and not a replacement.


-25 degrees is pretty darn cold. The original poster didn't really give any indication as to where they live, so I took a guess it was not in BC or else they would be taking advantage of the generous NDP goverment rebates and not asking or even considering an HEV as it likely costs more than the PHEV after rebate.

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
Roadkill401 is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 06:45 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 1,727
kia.ca is pretty useless to look up features and options. Couldn't find any mention of CCP either. As Canadian Ioniqs can be fitted with CCP (cold climate package), I assumed Niros could as well. Certainly the EV has it standard or as an option. Details to date on the US Niro EV has standard heat pump.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
yticolev is online now  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 6
Thanks for all the great info, everyone. I feel a little better about not getting the PHEV now. I will miss the Green plate and, small, bragging rights. Having said that, my dealer said they would get us a green plate, but I'm thinking that could backfire in the future.

Other we're looking forward to the new car, any advice for a first time Niro Owner?
frameron is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 6
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill401 View Post
-25 degrees is pretty darn cold. The original poster didn't really give any indication as to where they live, so I took a guess it was not in BC or else they would be taking advantage of the generous NDP goverment rebates and not asking or even considering an HEV as it likely costs more than the PHEV after rebate.
Yeah, between the cold and about $5,000 more ($2,500 with rebate), and the amount of long distance driving, and cold, it's probably not worth it. Thanks.
frameron is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Owner Likes, Dislikes, and Questions OldSenileGuy Kia Niro: Likes And Dislikes 6 11-25-2018 07:40 PM
New White Niro SX Touring Owner achr New Member Introductions 0 07-29-2018 10:53 PM
Hello from a Volt owner emartin00 New Member Introductions 4 04-16-2018 04:24 PM
Kingston, NY new owner llf11 Kia Niro Owners Registry And Check In Area 4 12-06-2017 12:34 PM
New member, new owner miketee4 Kia Niro Owners Registry And Check In Area 9 08-16-2017 12:41 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome