Greetings! - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Greetings!

Hello all! New Niro owner as of two days ago. Leased a 2019 EX Premium PHEV, and quite happy overall. About the only "bad" thing I can think of is the charger is only 3.3 kW, so doesn't charge as fast as my daughter's Pacifica PHEV. Still figuring out the best operational mode to use to maximize my MPG, but that will be something I will have fun with.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
Hello all! New Niro owner as of two days ago. Leased a 2019 EX Premium PHEV, and quite happy overall. About the only "bad" thing I can think of is the charger is only 3.3 kW, so doesn't charge as fast as my daughter's Pacifica PHEV. Still figuring out the best operational mode to use to maximize my MPG, but that will be something I will have fun with.
FWIW

I believe the L1 charging cord is 1.44kW and the L2 is 3.8KW
Where do you get 3.3 KW?

2018 Niro PHEV LX Silver/charcoal
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 11:07 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesH View Post
FWIW

I believe the L1 charging cord is 1.44kW and the L2 is 3.8KW
Where do you get 3.3 KW?
3.3kW is the capacity of the onboard charger in the Niro. At least that's what's listed on the Owner's Manual for the PHEV. Obviously, Level 2 chargers can provide more than that to cars that are set up to charge at a higher rate.

Jim
Southern Maryland
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Yeah, the Niro PHEV car charger is only 3.3 kW. But the size of charger varies between different cars. And I know of no PHEV that supports DC fast charging, although one of those would charge the small PHEV battery in about 10 minutes max.

3.3 kW seems to be the standard for PHEVs overall. My daughter's Pacifica has a 6.6 kW charger, but it has a larger battery as well. Once you get into EVs, the chargers are typically 7.2 kW, although some older models had smaller chargers and might have offered a larger charger as an option, or in a higher trim level. The e-Golf is one example of that.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page