2019 Niro PHEV Owner - Page 2 - Kia Niro Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 11:38 PM

I have done around 3000 KMS so far, using only battery commuting to work mon-fri, Then a few random road trips with full battery and a bit of gas when the battery was tapped.
lafe005 likes this.

Kia Niro PHEV Touring 2019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 07:27 AM

Garage
It's pretty amazing how effective the 26 mile PHEV range actually is. My commute recently changed for the better and I'm now doing ~12 miles a day during the week. On the weekends I'll do an 80 mile round trip with a couple of shorter trips in between. Right now I'm at ~600 miles on this tank and have burned less than a quarter of it. I should be able to go around 2500 - 3000 miles before needing to fill up.

When I bought the car the 80 mile round trip was my daily commute. Even then the PHEV reduced my gas consumption by ~20% or so. Definitely worth it even then, especially since I could do all of my errands and such on the weekends purely on the battery. Now it's a complete no-brainer.

I've decided that if I ever need to replace my VW TDI I'll probably pick up a used Leaf or similar. The relatively short range really doesn't worry me as much as it would have before purchasing the Niro. Now that I've had the PHEV for over a year it really makes it clear just how infrequently I need to be able to drive more than 100 miles at a time. Granted, it's nice to have the unlimited range of the ICE backed hybrid when I actually need it, but for 90%+ of the driving we do a cheap little BEV would easily get it done.
charlesH and padonion like this.

Jim
Southern Maryland / Washington DC
2018 Snow White Pearl EX Premium PHEV
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Cool, a few days of driving this beauty, and I've barely used gas at all. So far am getting about Ī45 km (Ī28 miles) on a single charge. I'm charging everywhere I can, at work, at home, at gym... Loving it!

So far the L1 charging at home is fine with me. If I ever go full EV, then I'll change the electric panel and get a nicer L2 charger. It's good to have a built in charging schedule, so I don't overload my panel load while doing other chores at home. Also, most charging is done at night when the rates are lowest.

Love my new De-Niro PHEV
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
My work commute round trip is about 36 miles. In the morning I have to climb a long grade at freeway speeds. I've figured out that by using hybrid mode in the morning for most of the freeway leg, I get to work with about 18 miles remaining. Then the afternoon trip home, which includes going down that long grade with regen during the majority of it, I remain in EV mode the entire way and still have about 3 miles remaining when I get home. As of this morning I've gone 480 miles and the gas gauge has only dropped 2 segments. And most of that gas used has been for cabin heat, not actual vehicle movement. Yeah, I'm pretty pleased with it!

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Garage
That's what I love about it too. Though I wish it has the regen-control pedals that come on Niro EV, Soul EV and Kona Electric. I test drove those, and fell in love with the idea of single-pedal driving and controlled regen for stop and go traffic.

Love my new De-Niro PHEV
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythisme View Post
It's good to have a built in charging schedule, so I don't overload my panel load while doing other chores at home. Also, most charging is done at night when the rates are lowest.
And.. you can use it with the UVO app (charging schedule).

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (13000 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yes, I've used the UVO app quite a bit already. Wish we could edit the schedules within the UVO. I'm still testing to see what works out the best for me.

If I have 2 schedules, one for home at night, and another for work at day, can they be simultaneously used? Is there a way to make location-based schedules? e.g., I can schedule them at home, but anywhere else they just plug-in and charge.

Love my new De-Niro PHEV
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 12:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythisme View Post
Yes, I've used the UVO app quite a bit already. Wish we could edit the schedules within the UVO.
You can edit them in the new app, Kia Access with UVO Link.

As for the other feature email [email protected] to ask them for that feature. It may show up in a future update if they get enough interest.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I've heard about that app but I don't see Kia Access in my app store, is it US only?

Love my new De-Niro PHEV
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Jones View Post
You can edit them in the new app, Kia Access with UVO Link.

As for the other feature email [email protected] to ask them for that feature. It may show up in a future update if they get enough interest.
@Michael Jones , this app is not functionnal for canadian users!. We only use 1 app only.

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (13000 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page