New LX owner in Vegas - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thumbs up New LX owner in Vegas

Just wanted to say hey and let everyone know there is another Niro on the road.

My last car is/was a 2012 Honda Insight (I still own it). My average when I stopped logging was 47 MPG for about six years.

I'll have my first fill up this weekend and start logging on Fuelly.com.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Hi Chris, welcome to the forum!
What version, color and trim levelk you got ? You could show us pictures too!

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (15500 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
No add-ons, HEV LX, Snow White Pearl and much better (power & MPG) than the Honda.

I do have one question, where is the 12v battery? I saw the previous versions have a battery in the rear passenger side, but not mine.

Chris

Last edited by framednlv; 06-17-2019 at 11:47 PM.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 09:25 AM

The 12v battery is a lithium battery attached to the exterior of the traction battery under the seat. Weighs less than a lead acid battery and from what I read, seems less problematic than how the lead acid battery that the PHEV and BEV models use. It is low capacity and has a relay that will open should there be excessive discharge when the car is not "running" to protect the battery and ensure it has enough voltage/capacity to power up the car when needed. There is a reset button on the dash to the left of the steering wheel that will close the relay when you are ready to drive. The need will be obvious as nothing will work - you will have to use the mechanical key to get into the car.

I've had to do this twice in the first month of ownership, both times related to an OBD device I left plugged in (never in the year since then). A number of the 2017 models had a defect where there was excessive drain on the battery and those owners frequently had to use the reset button to start their car until the defect was fixed. The salesman who sold me my car (I had an early 2018 model) pointed out the reset button, in fact the only feature he identified! I already knew about it from reading the forums, and had bought my car on the phone so he didn't need to "sell" the car to me.

The 12v battery is part of the "drivetrain" and so is covered by the 100,000 mile warranty. That beats the lead acid battery too.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 09:33 AM

Your car should better the Insight for mpg. However, you can do several miles better still by simply removing the roof rails which are not aerodynamically efficient (more frontal area because of extra vertical height and are not straight). The trim for base model FE will fit although you may need to remove studs that the rails bolt to. I did this on my LX and get better mpg than the FE (although some of that is my driving style of course).

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
The 12v battery is a lithium battery attached to the exterior of the traction battery under the seat. Weighs less than a lead acid battery and from what I read, seems less problematic than how the lead acid battery that the PHEV and BEV models use. It is low capacity and has a relay that will open should there be excessive discharge when the car is not "running" to protect the battery and ensure it has enough voltage/capacity to power up the car when needed. There is a reset button on the dash to the left of the steering wheel that will close the relay when you are ready to drive. The need will be obvious as nothing will work - you will have to use the mechanical key to get into the car.

I've had to do this twice in the first month of ownership, both times related to an OBD device I left plugged in (never in the year since then). A number of the 2017 models had a defect where there was excessive drain on the battery and those owners frequently had to use the reset button to start their car until the defect was fixed. The salesman who sold me my car (I had an early 2018 model) pointed out the reset button, in fact the only feature he identified! I already knew about it from reading the forums, and had bought my car on the phone so he didn't need to "sell" the car to me.

The 12v battery is part of the "drivetrain" and so is covered by the 100,000 mile warranty. That beats the lead acid battery too.
Thanks, I couldn't find that in the owners manual.
Is there a good place for more information for the 2019 Niro?

Chris
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
Your car should better the Insight for mpg. However, you can do several miles better still by simply removing the roof rails which are not aerodynamically efficient (more frontal area because of extra vertical height and are not straight). The trim for base model FE will fit although you may need to remove studs that the rails bolt to. I did this on my LX and get better mpg than the FE (although some of that is my driving style of course).
I have removed the roof rail for inspection and see no problem removing them. Even with the studs sticking up, the Niro looks better with out the rails. Yesterday I placed an order for the FE roof molding ($75 w/shipping) and will get that done as soon as the parts show up.

As far as the MPG goes...
Trip to work is about 51 MPG, depending on traffic lights. This is with optimal weather and a short stretch of freeway. If I skip the freeway, I get just over 60 MPG going to work.
My trip from work to home is much better. I'm getting 65 to 75 MPG using the short stretch of freeway. If I skip the freeway, I get 75 to 81 MPG.

The tempature is going up and I'll need to use the AC, should still be better than the Insight. As a side note, the Insight wouldn't blow cold air with the auto stop. The maximum auto stop for the Insight was 2 minutes.

Chris
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 08:10 PM

From what I read online, optimum mpg is at 80 degrees outside air temperature. Starts going down above 85 degrees. So I don't have a lot of experience at high ambient, but anecdotally I agree with the 80 degree figure. So I would think Las Vegas (other than the AC needs) would be a good place to get really good efficiency for a good bit of your year, better than my four season environment.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page