New Canadian member just here for research - Kia Niro Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By atc98092

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

New Canadian member just here for research

Just joined the forum to do some research on the Niro Hybrid and PHEV.
Currently have a 10 year old RAV4 that is nearing end of life, so considering a Niro and soaking up all the great forum info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Welcome aboard! You will find many Canadian members to assist you, and we Yanks will do our best to assist as well.
lafe005 likes this.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
@K-Ville..
welcome to the forum. tell us exactly what is your reality to see if a HEV (100% hybrid) or PHEV will be the best for your needs!?

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (13000 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome folks.
We are replacing a 10-year old RAV4 2WD model that has served us well. We are waffling between the Hybrid and the PHEV.
We test drove the Hybrid but there are no PHEVs in eastern Ontario, so we haven't tried one. Even the Hybrids are scarce around here.

We have a tendency to keep our vehicles for a long time and hope to get 10 years out of our next vehicle.
My concern about the PHEV - possibly unfounded - is that any potential fuel savings will be negated by an expensive battery replacement toward the end of its life.
Also, from what I'm reading, there is no trailer hitch for the PHEV, but there is one for the Hybrid.
We live in the country and have a light aluminum trailer that we use for brush runs to the brush dump, so a hitch is a necessity. Also need it for a bike rack.
While the manual says not recommended for towing, as long as we don't exceed the 850 lb vehicle capacity, it's ok.

Right now I'm leaning toward the Hybrid SX Touring model, but I may wait til the 2020s come out so I can test drive the PHEV.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Ville View Post
Just joined the forum to do some research on the Niro Hybrid and PHEV.
Currently have a 10 year old RAV4 that is nearing end of life, so considering a Niro and soaking up all the great forum info.
Hi , I'm from the Woodstock area where they build RAV-4!
I just traded a 2007 Camry Hybrid in on a new NIRO EV SX, likely the last new car I will buy <G>. I took the 10yr/200K km warranty extension, also covers the "Radio" which is covered for 3 years in the basic warranty.
They allowed $3K for the Camry and will send it to auction ( I also paid full MSRP for the car!). I tried to sell the Camry to my local used car dealer. No interest in Hybrids they are scared of the battery, he has a Honda Hybrid out back that needs a battery so can't fix it and sell with any hope of recovering the investment.
Same story the year before with a 2012 MKZ Hybrid , I was offered $6K on a trade. Kept the car. The hybrids are great cars , but I don't get the full value as we live in the country, they are more efficient in city driving at lower speeds (up to 60km/h for the Camry and 70km/h for the MKZ). So don't count on a great resale value on Hybrid (Search on Autotrader.ca to get an idea of what there is in your area..)

The KIA Niro PHEV and Hybrid will allow a hitch. Kia doesn't authorize a hitch on the EV, probably gives them a reason to void the warranty. If you need an BEV with a hitch Tesla?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 05:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Ville View Post
Thanks for the welcome folks.
We are replacing a 10-year old RAV4 2WD model that has served us well. We are waffling between the Hybrid and the PHEV.
We test drove the Hybrid but there are no PHEVs in eastern Ontario, so we haven't tried one. Even the Hybrids are scarce around here.

We have a tendency to keep our vehicles for a long time and hope to get 10 years out of our next vehicle.
My concern about the PHEV - possibly unfounded - is that any potential fuel savings will be negated by an expensive battery replacement toward the end of its life.
Also, from what I'm reading, there is no trailer hitch for the PHEV, but there is one for the Hybrid.
We live in the country and have a light aluminum trailer that we use for brush runs to the brush dump, so a hitch is a necessity. Also need it for a bike rack.
While the manual says not recommended for towing, as long as we don't exceed the 850 lb vehicle capacity, it's ok.

Right now I'm leaning toward the Hybrid SX Touring model, but I may wait til the 2020s come out so I can test drive the PHEV.
Several people on this forum have installed hitches on the PHEV and even the BEV versions. There are evidently some minor modifications required to either the hitch or some of the plastic bits under the car but nothing major.

The big driving factor between PHEV and HEV (for most people) is your normal drive. If you most of your trips are <26 miles (the EV range of the PHEV) and you can charge at a lower cost than the equivalent gas price, then the plug-in might be your best bet.

I wouldn't worry too much about battery life. The battery management systems are designed to prevent serious battery damage and those seem to be pretty effective. Anecdotally I know many folks with PHEVs, HEVs and EVs and none have had major loss of battery performance.

I decided on the EX Premium PHEV (US version) for all of the cool tech features. The LED headlights are amazing, the leather interior is very nice and the upgraded instrument panel is pretty cool. My use case is nearly perfect for the PHEV but when I bought it I had a much longer commute and even then it ended up saving me a bit over the HEV. In the US we get a pretty substantial tax break on the PHEV that covers a good bit of the premium over the regular hybrid so your mileage may vary.

Good luck and let us know what you end up deciding on!

Jim
Southern Maryland / Washington DC
2018 Snow White Pearl EX Premium PHEV
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 10:21 AM

Garage
Battery tech has come a long way over the years. There's a 2012 Chevy Volt out in the wild with over 420k miles on it and still on the original battery. Note the Niro's battery (HEV/PHEV/BEV) is covered 8yr/100k miles. I take that to mean Kia is pretty confident in the technology/engineering/design.

I don't know what tax credits are available in Canada for PHEVs and BEVs but in the US, you can get a $4500 tax credit for the PHEV which bring the price down to what the HEV costs, so if they're the same price, might as well get the PHEV. Kia also has some really attractive lease deals on the PHEV which makes it an even more compelling option (they pass the tax credit on to the consumer in the form of lease cash.) I know most with the HEV report mpgs in the 40-50 range while most with PHEVs report 70-120+mpg so the gas savings are real. I'm averaging 80mpg over 4000 miles with daily recharging and 50/50 mix of city/hwy diving. I'm pretty happy with it. Motorweek has some long-term reviews of the PHEV Niro on YouTube and they are reporting mid-60's mpg I believe after a year with their 2018 model.

Paul
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium Silky Silver
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT Soul Red

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR-NIRO-EV View Post
The KIA Niro PHEV and Hybrid will allow a hitch. Kia doesn't authorize a hitch on the EV, probably gives them a reason to void the warranty.
Hi @JohnR-NIRO-EV and welcome too the forum, unfortunately, Kia Canada does not "recommend" towing on any Niro Model. Do a search on "tow" and you will have more details about this.

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (13000 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page