Hi from Philly - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Hi from Philly

Hello! My husband and I drove to Virginia yesterday to pick up our first Niro. It's been a real treat so far. We upgraded from a 2008 Honda Fit, which we loved dearly, but didn't find to be a good highway car. We don't drive to work, so we look forward to comfortable long drives in the Niro.

We bought a used 2018 LX w/ 30k miles. I have a couple questions because we don't know if it's just our car, or if other Niros have the same quirks:

1. The steering wheel squeaks when we turn it...kind of sounds like a mini gremlin is in there. The other 5 we test drove didn't have this sound. Our dealer had his mechanic look at it, who didn't seem concerned.

2. When we click the trunk button on the key, the trunk doesn't pop open, it just unlocks. Is that normal?

3. Our car only came with one key...is it best to buy the second from a Kia dealership? We were quoted ~$300 (oof).

4. Does a donut fit in the back? We were surprised that it doesn't come with one.

5. Has anyone seen clear bumper films for less than $150? We'd like some kind of bumper protection to keep the dream alive for a bit. (fat chance)

Thanks team!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

One more thing....
We're unable to set up Android Auto (we both have One Plus 5s). We've read that some Androids aren't compatible...anyone else have this problem?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cronmoax View Post
Hello! My husband and I drove to Virginia yesterday to pick up our first Niro. It's been a real treat so far. We upgraded from a 2008 Honda Fit, which we loved dearly, but didn't find to be a good highway car. We don't drive to work, so we look forward to comfortable long drives in the Niro.

We bought a used 2018 LX w/ 30k miles. I have a couple questions because we don't know if it's just our car, or if other Niros have the same quirks:

1. The steering wheel squeaks when we turn it...kind of sounds like a mini gremlin is in there. The other 5 we test drove didn't have this sound. Our dealer had his mechanic look at it, who didn't seem concerned.

2. When we click the trunk button on the key, the trunk doesn't pop open, it just unlocks. Is that normal?

3. Our car only came with one key...is it best to buy the second from a Kia dealership? We were quoted ~$300 (oof).

4. Does a donut fit in the back? We were surprised that it doesn't come with one.

5. Has anyone seen clear bumper films for less than $150? We'd like some kind of bumper protection to keep the dream alive for a bit. (fat chance)

Thanks team!
Hi and Welcome to the forum! We used to live in the Pocono's, not terribly far from you, but now we are in Fl. so we drive up and down the east coast with our Niro a few times a year to visit our kids and old friends. I think you will love your Niro on long trips. Since you bought yours used it would help to know if you got it from a Kia dealer (certified?) or no.

1. Your steering wheel should NOT squeak.
2.The trunk will just unlock, it doesn't pop open.
3.You should have gotten 2 keys since a replacement IS expensive. Probably best to get it from a Kia dealer since they have to program it to the car. You can get them on EBAY but not sure how that works out with KIA. Some other makes ie. Prius I've heard it can be a nightmare getting a key to work from a third party vendor.
4. A donut should fit in. Our local dealers advertises a kit (donut and jack together) for the Niro.
5. Try ebay for bumper film.
6. I have an iPhone, salesperson hooked it up no problem I think android should be no problem either. Just follow the directions in the owners manual.

Gene Daytona Beach Beach, Fl.
2018 Kia Niro LX 7/11/18-
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Welcome, glad you're here!

1) No, it shouldn't squeak. It's unlikely to be a mechanical problem now or later, but the noise may become objectionable. It work for me.

2) Yes, that's normal. There's no power lift or even strong hydraulic lift. As long the pneumatic tubes are holding it open without sagging, there's no problem.

3) Electronic keys are expensive, and even if you purchased one online it would still have to be programmed by the dealer to work with the car. So overall that price isn't out of line compared to other auto makers.

4) I'm assuming you have the hybrid and not the plug-in version. To my understanding a spare tire will fit in there. Others with your model can confirm that.

5) No experience at all with them, so can't offer an opinion there.

Android Auto is available for the 2019 models, but I can't say for sure if it was there for 2018. Again, someone with that model year will have to answer that question. I did find a Kelly Blue Book review for the 2018 models and it says AA is available, but it didn't say if it was part of the Tech package. But it did say it should be there on an LX model. Note that for AA or Apple Car Play, you have to connect the phone to the car via USB. AA and Car Play don't work over Bluetooth, although the car does support the usual Bluetooth functions (phone calling, address book sync, text message reading).

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 08:56 PM

All car makers charge ridiculous amounts for smart keys, or for programming them if you lost a fob. I bought a spare on eBay (I believe direct from Korea) for $86 delivered. Had Kia labelling, apparently OEM. You can do the programming yourself (Google instructions), but the one local lock shop that has the required laser cutter wanted $75 - I'll wait until I lose one! - I still have my original two. At some point, I will ask the dealer: they may do it as a courtesy. Or they may want even more. Anyway, even paying for cutting the key, it will be about half of the $300 you were quoted.

Here is the one I bought - the page is not very clear but included the fob and the mechanical key. Other sellers are more clear. https://www.ebay.com/itm/252827812548

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

All versions of the Niro have Andriod Auto and Apple CarPlay support. To help diagnose the issue, you need to give a bit more information. Like what is it doing, or saying? I assume that you are connecting your OEM USB cable to the port on the front console.

Some things to try.

1. Uninstall the AA software from your phone. Power off the phone and then restart it before plugging it in. This will cause the phone to sync with AA on the head unit and re-download the software.
2. Check the display settings. There are some phones that do non-standard Andriod visual changes like notch displays, side displays etc that can affect the resolution and AA doesn't know what to do and so doesn't work.
3. Check the USB cable. You might find that the cable being used is missing pins or is not compatible with data connection for your particular phone. I have a Google Pixel2xl phone and not all USB-C cables work with it. I imagine the same holds true for the One+

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 09:37 AM

Garage
$169.95 Kia Niro Spare Tire Kit. It will fit under the cargo floor of the hybrid model. Will not fit underneath the PHEV cargo floor. You can ask your local dealer to price match. Mine did.
https://kiastuff.com/kia-niro-spare-tire-kit-m015/

$75.95 Kia Niro Rear Bumper Protector Clear Film. Again, ask your local dealer to price match. They usually will. If they won't try another local Kia dealer if you have another one nearby.
https://kiastuff.com/kia-niro-rear-b...tor-film-m013/

Congrats on the new car, consider the PHEV or even the EV version for the next car. The PHEV Niro lets you drive 26 miles fully electric then gets 46 combined mpg once you deplete the EV miles. I'm averaging over 80 mpg and the PHEV model is about the same price as a new HEV model after the tax credit. You can also lease a PHEV LX for only $249/mo for 36/mo right now through Kia. Nationwide offer from what I can tell.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Paul
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium Silky Silver
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT Soul Red

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 10:47 PM

I had a different car that sometimes squeaked when I turned the steering wheel, but only in cold weather. There's probably a piece of plastic trim that has warped a bit and is rubbing and causing the squeaking sound, but this is the first I've heard of that problem with the Niro. Seems like it should be covered under warranty, but who knows? I'm not sure that undesired noises are covered.

Look in any paperwork you received and see if you can discover a way to contact the previous owner. They might still have the second key fob, and they might be willing to give it to you. It doesn't hurt to ask, if you can figure out how to contact them.

The trunk button on the key fob is almost useless, but it does have two special purposes. One is this: maybe someone you're traveling with wants to open the hatch but the key fob isn't close enough to release it automatically, but you are close enough to release it by pressing that button. The other, more important feature in my experience is this: sometimes you can get the hatch into a state where it is half-latched. Close it gently instead of slamming it and this might happen. At least with my Niro, when it is half-latched like that, I can't open it by pressing the button on the outside of the hatch, but I can release it by pressing the button on the key fob.

Sorry, can't help much with the other questions because my PHEV has a different set up with respect to spare time storage, etc.

2018 Niro PHEV Gravity Blue

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page