Kia Niro Forum banner
  • Welcome to the Kia Niro forum! We discuss all models of the Niro, including the Hybrid, PHEV and EV versions. We are glad you stopped by. Feel free to browse the various topics, along with out FAQs. To enable posting, you need to register for a user account. There is no cost for this. Just click in the upper right corner where it says Login/Join. We look forward to your continued parcipitation.

Hello from Kansas, USA :)

7K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Kllx 
#1 ·

I just bought a used 2017 Niro LX and we're looking forward to a lot more adventuring and easier travel, everyday trips and long rides.

I'm going through the forum threads on roof racks and bike hitches. I'm hoping to attach a rack for two smaller kayaks and a bike hitch for 4 bikes.

#3 ·
I'm going through the forum threads on roof racks and bike hitches. I'm hoping to attach a rack for two smaller kayaks and a bike hitch for 4 bikes.
Dang! Are you sure you didn't mean to buy a Subaru?

Pure curiosity: How many miles, and how much did you pay? Tech package? I'm planning on running my car to the end, but curious how much retained value there is used.

#4 ·
15k, 71,000 miles, no advanced tech package. Many of the Niro LX's with similar milage are going for a little closer to 17-18k, though. After combing the 5-6 states nearest me, this was the best deal for my particular situation. There aren't that many around and most don't have that many miles, expectedly.

And no, definitely didn't mean to buy a Subaru. ;)

#6 ·
So I've looked through all the roof rack/bike hitch/cargo threads I could find but haven't found the info I'm looking for. Most of the roof rack threads are a couple years old- is it best to post there or start a new thread?

Forgive me if I've missed some sort of posted guidelines on this.

#7 ·
I think you'll get better responses if you create a new thread. Sometimes people ignore older threads, even with new posts.

Reactions: Kllx
#8 ·

You don't need no stinkin racks for your small kayaks. I saw a pic on facebook with two kayaks tucked into the hatch area. Of course the hatch was open :eek:

#9 ·
I'm reasonably happy with the NoroDrive racks that I purchased from Mick's Garage, and the price is right: https://www.micksgarage.com/d/roof-...r-kia-niro-2016-onwards-with-solid-roof-rails

They are easy to put on and take off, they have a good mechanical design, they fit reasonably well, they have a higher load rating than some of the competition. Purchasing from Mick's Garage and shipping costs worked reasonably well (I had to wait about a week for them to arrive).

They could certainly carry two kayaks without problem, unless the kayaks are unusually wide abeam, in which case you might need to tip them or attach an accessory for kayaks to the cross bars.

The downside is that with nothing tied on, at speeds above about 40 MPH, you might think you're listening to a tuba tuning up in the orchestra. But there's an easy cure for that: wrap a bungee cord around the front rack three or four times and it goes almost totally silent with respect to wind noise.

There are other styles that are more fashionable, but I like the fact that the NoroDrive crossbar sticks past the support pillars because that makes it easier to securely tie on a load than you can do with the more fashionable racks that blend the support pillars into the crossbar with no overhang.

Hope it helps.

#12 ·
Thanks for the suggestion on the cross bars. I've been looking for the long bars that hang over a bit, so I check out the link.
I've read reviews of others that mention the noise above 40 and the tip of wrapping something around it to break the wind. I plan to do that if I have an issue so good to hear it works well on these particular ones.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.