Kia Niro Forum banner
  • Welcome to the Kia Niro forum! We discuss all models of the Niro, including the Hybrid, PHEV and EV versions. We are glad you stopped by. Feel free to browse the various topics, along with out FAQs. To enable posting, you need to register for a user account. There is no cost for this. Just click in the upper right corner where it says Login/Join. We look forward to your continued parcipitation.

Oil change interval

34K views 54 replies 22 participants last post by  atc98092 
#1 ·
It's coming up on my first oil change.

The dealer insists 6000km, but the manual says 12000km, and I think I've seen 15000km for outside of Canada.

Has anyone else in Canada had this issue? 6k interval seems way too short, not just for a regular ICE car, but especially so for my PHEV that runs mostly on electricity.

#4 ·
Hi Orac, If i remember, for Canada, the first oil change say's at 6000km and after at 12000km. A dealer cannot force you to do a oil change at 6000km because of "severe conditions".. we dont live in the sahara or the
Oïmiakon village in Russia.. hahahaha.!

An oil change should be done at least twice a year or at each 10.000km (too be safe) and dont forget.. it takes the oil grade of 0w20 synthetic. :)

Reactions: Orac
#5 ·
I'll get it done at the stealership next week and argue the interval at that point. Hopefully I'll have the EV before the change after that, but if not, Vancouver is the Honolulu of Canada in the winter, so conditions here are very mild and would hardly qualify as severe just like you said. In fact, it's a blistering 9 Celsius right now! (compared to < -15 out east!)
It just bugs me since it's a waste of resources, money and time, and seems to be a profit-play. EVs are gonna really hurt these guys.

#6 ·
I only have 1,800 miles on my 2018 Phev after 6 months. I plan on getting an oil change at the one year mark to take care of any other recommended preventative maintenance inspections and computer updates. Hopefully I'll be visiting the dealership as infrequently as I do a gas station which has happened once so far.

#9 ·
Wich dealer is it ?? Just bring out your user manual and show them... 12.000km!!0:)

Reactions: Orac
#15 ·
I'm no fan of unnecessary oil changes, but the USA owner's manual describes a lot of somewhat ordinary things as "Severe Usage Conditions". Perhaps the most hilarious is "Frequently driving in stop and go conditions", but a close runner up is "Driving on uphill, downhill, or mountain roads repeatedly". So if you go up a hill on your way to work every day and come back down that hill at the end of the day, apparently that qualifies as "Severe Usage"

I'm likely to get my first change at the Severe Usage interval, and subsequent changes at the "Normal" interval. The first change is somewhat special, because the engine is brand new and it's likely that there is some amount of manufacturing "debris" contaminating the oil. Case in point: this week Hyundai and Kia announced that they would re-recall a number of (not Niro) cars that they had already recalled once before. The original recall was about manufacturing debris that prevented adequate oil circulation. Thousands of those cars wound up getting a new engine. Now they're being recalled again, apparently because of a concern that some of them had the new engine installed improperly and in a way that might result in a fire. I'm not suggesting that we should think the Niro has a similar problem, but I do think it's true that as a general rule, any brand new engine should have the oil changed sooner, rather than later.

#17 ·
We just picked up our Kia Niro LX on 1/22/19 and our salesman said, to only use a Kia Oil Filter on the oil change, otherwise you could void the warranty. I think this is bull? Any others hear about this?

that sounds like total B.S. I don't believe they can specify an exact brand of parts for a car to maintain warranty, but they can specify a grade specification. So for instance, they can't say you can only use Castrol 0w20 Synthetic oil, but they can say you must use 0w20 that meets the ILSAC GP5 specification.

Where I would look into is what is the cost of doing the change at the dealership vs a 3rd party garage and yourself. I was actually pretty surprised as my dealership I think is likely not making any money on the oil change for my Niro as they have a fixed cost for the change regardless of the vehicle. So a Rio is likely paying way too much for their oil change, but my Niro is getting a really good deal. I priced it out that I am paying about $8 over my cost to do change. And I will gladly have someone else have to deal with the mess for $8.

#19 ·
The MagnusonMoss Warranty Act (P.L. 93-637) is a United States federal law (15 U.S.C. § 2301 et seq.). Enacted in 1975, the federal statute governs warranties on consumer products. ... The law was created to fix problems as a result of manufacturers using disclaimers on warranties in an unfair or misleading manner.

Learn it...live it

#21 ·
The MagnusonMoss Warranty Act (P.L. 93-637) is a United States federal law (15 U.S.C. § 2301 et seq.). Enacted in 1975, the federal statute governs warranties on consumer products. ... The law was created to fix problems as a result of manufacturers using disclaimers on warranties in an unfair or misleading manner. Learn it...live it
Absolutely correct! The MM Warranty act cam about to prevent companies from making car owners captive to the brand for normal maintenance items. They cannot deny warranty claim just because you used Pennzoil oil and an a Napa filter rather a Kia branded one as long at the oil & filter meets the same standards as the Kia product. If an automotive owner's manual calls for an API (American Petroleum Institute) SL standard than any oil can that has meets the SL standard (the standard that an oil meets is shown on every oil bottle) it will provide full protection oil & for you car and your warranty.

#20 ·
I found this article from 2014 about Kia requiring you to use a Kia Oil Filter to maintain the warranty. I have not found any updates regarding this yet. I am still searching. I will be happy to get oil changes at the Kia dealer as long as their prices are reasonable.

Here is the basic info:

Trade Associations Insist that FTC Take Action Against Kia
POSTED BY AUTO CARE NEWS ON MAY 28, 2014

BETHESDA, MD – May 27, 2014 -- The Auto Care Association, Automotive Oil Change Association, Service Station Dealers of America and Tire Industry Association joined forces to call on the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) to take immediate action to have Kia withdraw a technical bulletin warning consumers not to use non-OEM filters, which is clearly a violation of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (MMWA).

The bulletin, which was referenced in an article posted by Consumer Reports, recommended that car owners either go back to the authorized dealer or use a Kia oil filter to avoid problems with oil- and filter-related warranty claims.

#22 ·
Magnuson–Moss doesn't affect Canada and their consumer protections are not as good as ours. It is also common for US dealers to put standard oil instead of synthetic in Niros and Ioniqs. That low price is because the oil change is not synthetic. First oil change was free to me, but I brought my own oil to use.

#23 ·
Magnuson–Moss doesn't affect Canada
Did someone said that ?? :eek:

and their consumer protections are not as good as ours.
Sorry for the disturb, but each provinces has their own protection act.. Like here in Quebec, we have a consumers protection law, and is pretty armoured to deal with these kind of problems for exemple: car delaers.

Also, if the customer is not satisfied, an obusman service is available for cases between the auto maker and the customer, and arbitrary decisions can be made.

- For my part, my dealer alway's put 0w20 synthetic that comes standard in all Niros... anyway.. why should i stress for that.! I have 2 free oil change per year.. ;)

#27 ·
Sorry, I don't have a specific reference that I can share at the moment. What I vaguely recall reading was something about a valve that opened under pressure, that wasn't well replicated in certain after market filters. I searched the Niro "Pittstop" publications just now and didn't find a hit about this, so it was probably one of the other cars I've researched in the past year or so, most likely either a Prius or a CRV.

#30 ·
As far as I know, all oil filters do have a bypass valve (a simple plastic leaf usually) to allow oil to flow when the filter is restricted or too much oil is flowing for the filter capacity. So a filter with too stiff of a bypass valve could damage an engine. That's my best guess after your excellent hint.

#28 ·
My preference was to purchase a top grade oil filter that was probably just as good or better than the kia oil filter. I will take my new Niro to the dealer for the first free oil change, but after that I would like the option of taking it somewhere else and not be forced to use a Kia Oil Filter.

#31 ·
Quoted from Deltasmith...

In my book, and as Roadkill401 alluded to, so long as the dealer is changing oil at a reasonable cost, why would you do anything else? (OK, I can see doing something else if the Kia dealer is 50 miles away, of if the only dealer within 50 miles is obnoxious, incompetent, etc). A lot of car dealer service shops like to change oil at (or maybe even below) their cost, because that gives them an opportunity to inspect your car and tell you about any other issues that they found. I think of that as a win-win situation. I get my oil changed for about the cost but with less hassle of doing it myself, they get to do what they want to do, and maybe sell me something, but best of all, if they do discover something I didn't know about, at least it was discovered and I was informed, and I can then decide whether I actually need to have them do what they are suggesting, or skip it, or do it myself, or have someone else do it.

I hope my Kia NEVER sees the inside of a dealer. My Fusion only saw the dealer once due to a computer rebooting. Before that a Sport Trac that never went to a dealer, a Harley that never went to a dealer, 2 Escapes that never saw a dealer, A Jeep, A Dakota...etc.

I do all my own service because then I know its done right. I also don't try to upsell stuff to myself like dealers seems to want to do.

#35 ·
I am taking a different approach. This is a rather new vehicle both to me and on the market. I wouldn't trust that any of the Chiltons or other self help books are even out there for this car or would have the first clue on how to go about repairing them.

Sure the oil change is a pretty easy thing and not a likely to screw up. But I know from my last car that you can easily open the drain plug and oil comes out, but try and remove the oil filter without is going everywhere is a totally different thing. This is a Hybrid so there is a whole load of wires, sensors and computers all over the place. I don't know what everything is so if I screw something else up while doing this then the fault is pointed squarely back on me. The dealership might have better instructions than my wing it by the seat of my pants approach. And they might know things like place a plastic cover piece over this set of componants when changing the oil that I would not have a clue to do. Simply don't know.

Are you also going to be taking the same side of no dealer for everything? it sure sounds like you will. In the perfect world, nothing goes wrong. Sure you just have to swap oil, air filters and put in Gas. Oh, what about transmission fluid. Do you know how to work on that? With this car? I plan on driving mine past the 120,000km. How about the HSG belt? are you planning on replacing that yourself? Gearbox, linkages, drive shafts ... the list goes on, and its not just for the ICE but also how it intergrates with the electric motor. Well beyond anything they teach in even a modern automotove shop class.

No, I am quite happy to take it into the dealer and have them explain to my why the upsell and then prove it to me.

#37 ·
My dealer gave me the first two oil changes and tire rotations for free. I was told to bring it in at 5,000 miles. I am religious about keeping oil changed in my vehicles. All my vehicles seem to get many miles on them with out any issues. Has anyone done their own oil change? Was the filter tough to get to?

#39 ·
So I’ve seen it posted in this thread to get your first oil change on a new Niro HEV at 7500 miles. Is there a “or 6 months whichever comes first” disclaimer on that? I got my Niro in November 2018, and it only has about 3000 miles on it. Is it due for a change now, or am I good to wait until I’m closer to 7500 miles? Obviously I don’t drive much, and the driving I do is mostly city miles.

But next week I’m taking a small road trip (about 700 miles round trip) and was wondering if I should rush to get an oil change before then.

#41 ·
On July 6th it'll be one year since we purchased our 2018 Niro PHEV. The Niro has performed flawlessly for us so far but it only has less than 3,600 miles on it. To date we've used two tank fulls of gas so I estimate just over 1,000 of those miles were using the ICE. I'm taking it in soon for a one year service inspection and oil change to satisfy any 10 year warranty obligations. Incidentally, I spotted my first Niro PHEV today in our small rural community. Only took a year. :)

#42 ·
Did my 2nd oil change today on our 2019 PHEV Niro. It is right at the 15,000 mile mark and it is at the 9 month mark.

Did our 1st oil change at the 7,500 mile interval and had been in service for 5 months.

I am using what is stamped on the oil cap which is 0W-20.

Man is the oil that comes out dirty and nasty with a capital N. I think the oil held up well but GDI engine definitely gets the oil super nasty. Would not dream of waiting 12 months for an oil change as I did with regular engines like on our 2004 Sienna.

I use Walmart SuperTech 5 gal jug for $14.88. I thought that was a good price on 0W-20 Synthetic oil but I see Costco is selling 2- 5 gallon jugs of 0W-20 for $25 or $12.50 per 5 gallon jug. Super price especially considering it is going to get poured down a recycle oil barrel in 6 months or 7,500 miles.

Also did the Engine clutch actuator fluid suck out and refill with my suction gun. Took 15 minutes of my time and cost $1.98 for small bottle of SuperTech Dot 3 brake fluid.

This car is popular with our family, had no idea I would have 15,000 miles on this vehicle after only 9 months!

#45 ·
Here in the US the recommended oil is 0W-20. However, at the same time the manual does list both 5W-30 and 10W-30 as suitable alternatives. In fact the 5W-30 is permitted for the same temperature range as the lighter weight oil. As @yticolev said the assumption is that the thinner oil improves efficiency and reduces engine wear on startup. Makes sense for a hybrid where the engine will be starting and stopping all the time.
Text Font Line Design Number
Text Font Line Parallel

I think even the 7500 mile (US spec) interval is crazy short. I'm changing mine every 10k miles and even that is probably conservative given the actual engine hours / mile I see in my PHEV. Since roughly half of my miles are on electric I could probably change the oil once a year and be good to go. Still, 10k is a nice round number and since I can change the oil for less than $30 it seems like a good choice.

#44 ·
Manufacturers are not transparent about why they have different oil specifications in different countries for the same car. Really bad behavior. Your car will be more efficient on 0W-20 oil (lower weight is usually better for colder countries anyway), and in my opinion, you don't need to shorten the oil change interval. Money wasted.

#46 ·
I live in the southern region, it is warm here, almost California)) Winters are not very cold, cars are in a warm garage. I generally had the idea to try 5w40 oil since it is not much thicker and the lubricant for the engine will be much better. Since we are having frequent launches, I think it will only be +

#52 ·
5W-30 is specified in some countries as an alternative so you will be fine. But heavier oil does not necessarily lubricate better, it is much more complicated than that. Heavier oil does form a thicker film, but a thinner film lubricates just as well if everything else is the same. It used to be that you used heavier oil because shearing quickly made it a lower weight oil, that is not true with modern synthetics. And additives dramatically change how modern oils behave over oil from fifty year ago (which is where all these stories come from about heavy oils).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.