Kia Niro Forum - View Single Post - Battery charging while traveling at 120 km/h
View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 09:16 AM
atc98092
Super Moderator

Garage
Any time I manually enter HEV mode, say for climbing a long hill, I switch to sport mode because I prefer to control which gear I'm in. In normal mode it will downshift when it's not really necessary. According to the manual, and based on my observations, it is only a charge sustain mode, and will not charge the battery. I've never seen any increase in range while running in Sport mode. The range might increase by a mile, but then it might go back down, so I never see any net gain in range.

My only experience driving a HEV is my son-in-law's Ioniq, and I have to admit the display is not as bright and visible as the Niro dash, so I might have overlooked how low the battery gauge has dropped. That's another reason I prefer my Kia over a Hyundai, the dash display is overall much nicer. Anyway, for my 65 year old eyes it's better.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome