Close to Buying - Questions and Some Info - Kia Niro Forum
View Poll Results: Do you currently own a Kia Niro?
I currently own a Kia Niro ! 5 25.00%
Just considering, I do not currently own one. 15 75.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Cool Close to Buying - Questions and Some Info

Hi All -

I am the owner of 2 hybrids, both Ford Fusion Hybrids (2010 and 2013 currently). So time for a change
and I am considering a fully loaded Niro Touring + Tech. After visiting one dealer with a bad experience
I tried another drive yesterday and a lot less BS. Seems this other dealership outside Phila was much
more intent on selling and gave me good pricing as soon as he met me, he has 20+ on order this
month while other dealership has a couple maybe and will not move on price at all. Forget them.

They come in locally to the Port in Philadelphia and they get to the dealerships quickly here. I think
some dealers are holding off ordering many until they see it is selling and are too stupid to know it will!

So learned a few things and have a question or two for current owners?

Does this car come with an alarm/immobilizer of any sort? Full brochure does not say?

No garage door opener/homelink/no dimming side/RV mirrors - I just learned that here and
that is a big deal. There is a Kia Accessory with HomeLink+Dimming for the Sorento and Forte -
so I have to hope it's coming in the near future. This is a major bummer for me as I am sensitive
to bright lights at night.

I have the full accessories brochure so splash guards and much else available. Good roof rack system
for tray, bike, kayak, etc. Very nice options. But no mirror mentioned. Also a full donut spare option
kit you can buy - very smart, I had to piece this together for my Ford and it is piece of mind.

Is there a remote start or any way to open the car externally? Guess not. Have keypad on the Fords
that I use alot when I go to the gym.

Gravity Blue (dark blue) is a new color that is on it's way and this is what I am told is coming.
Not in the brochure or website, but they are making it. Dealer is holding one for me in this color,
black interior.

Cars should come with floor mats and a cargo cover in the higher models, don't let the dealer try
and sell you these things without seeing the car. Included in the price (should be).

If you want the car a specific way, dealer can sort of order (you may have to push a bit) as they just
claim it when available at the port. May take 4-6 weeks - just a guess.

It did drive well compared to my Ford CVT. Great to hear the transmission shift up and down as you drove
it and it felt fairly spirited and agile. I drove an EX that was the only one they had.

Any questions, not sure what I am going to do yet...but I know alot about this car. Download the iPad
app for Niro if you want to see a good overview.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtech View Post
Hi All -

Does this car come with an alarm/immobilizer of any sort? Full brochure does not say?

No garage door opener/homelink/no dimming side/RV mirrors - I just learned that here and
that is a big deal. There is a Kia Accessory with HomeLink+Dimming for the Sorento and Forte -
so I have to hope it's coming in the near future. This is a major bummer for me as I am sensitive
to bright lights at night.

I have the full accessories brochure so splash guards and much else available. Good roof rack system
for tray, bike, kayak, etc. Very nice options. But no mirror mentioned. Also a full donut spare option
kit you can buy - very smart, I had to piece this together for my Ford and it is piece of mind.

Is there a remote start or any way to open the car externally? Guess not. Have keypad on the Fords
that I use alot when I go to the gym.

Cars should come with floor mats and a cargo cover in the higher models, don't let the dealer try
and sell you these things without seeing the car. Included in the price (should be).
It does come with alarm/immobilizer.

There is no auto dimming mirror option for the current Niro. The European version does have it, so maybe next year's model will also have it.

Not sure why you would need an RV mirror since it doesn't have a tow capacity. The plug in version will though.

The front doors have a button to unlock and lock the car as long as you have they key nearby in the versions with keyless entry. Two taps opens all doors. The back door also can be unlocked without taking out the key.

Floor mats and cargo net are considered "additional installed equipment" and not standard features so they will cost extra. I believe all the Niros get charged this in the window sticker. Carpeted mats msrp is $130 the net msrp is $50. The cargo cover is included on some trims.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

By RV I meant rear-view, not for towing a recreational vehicle.

Wonder if the wiring is there to add/replace the mirror with an auto dimming one.

I was was wondering why the price seemed to jump about $200 recently
which must be the car mats at least. Yes for sure it's in the price.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 05:20 PM

I asked about Homelink and was told that there is interest but nothing yet coming from wherever they make these decisions. Was told that it could be installed later if it becomes available. Also waiting for "mine" to come in, should be last week of the month. About a 5 week wait but I get my color and interior and tech package with no ride around miles.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtech View Post
By RV I meant rear-view, not for towing a recreational vehicle.

Wonder if the wiring is there to add/replace the mirror with an auto dimming one.

I was was wondering why the price seemed to jump about $200 recently
which must be the car mats at least. Yes for sure it's in the price.
haha the rv flew past me, someone in another forum put a dimming mirror, he had to do some DIY wiring though
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 10:30 PM

Gravity Blue is out at some dealerships. Saw one, it is like a Midnight Blue. Funny though if you go to Kia's website, it is not listed on the main page or when you try to build one, but if you check Inventory they show it listed as an option. Strange.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 11:19 PM

I'm sure the wiring for an autodimming mirror can't possibly be that difficult. Did he post a wiring diagram of any sort?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

About auto-dimming mirror - If you look on EBay or even Kia's sight, you'll see about every model Kia has an auto-dimming mirror
with Homelink (sold by Kia!) - and this would be awesome - but none for the Niro as of yet, have to figure it's coming. I'll ask dealer if any of the
other models would fit/adapt, but I doubt it at this time.

I figure there has to be a connector hidden up there and it would just attach. Many car manufacturers do this. But with the cameras up front
and the like on the tech package, you really would want to be careful about doing this yourself.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando View Post
There is no auto dimming mirror option for the current Niro. The European version does have it, so maybe next year's model will also have it.
Second trim up Canadian Niros have the auto dimming mirror. While I'm US, I'm considering buying in Canada if the hassle is not too much. The exchange rate brings the base model down an amazing $4,518 US over the American MRSP or $19,265 US for the base (I included the import duty) before any negotiation or incentives. The top trim is $7,107 cheaper than the similarly equipped US top trim.

That is worth a lot of hassle! Probably not possible if you have to get a loan or lease.

The base Canadian Niro also includes these extra cost US options (some require going up a trim level or two):
Heated front seats and steering wheel
Leather wrapped steering wheel and shift knob
Fog lights
Luggage net
LED positioning lights
Jay likes this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 06:42 PM

buying in Canada for big savings really interest me as I'm close to Windsor. I could pay cash but I'm wondering about warranty work servicing? would everything go well in the us?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page